throwback week

sbramfan Guest

Enough about the problems, how about the Answers

Well, we know the defense is in trouble, so let's make 2 really huge assumptions for a moment:

1. The offense will continue to improve, with Barron, etc.. and Martz' play calling will get better as the season goes on.

2. The special teams should get a little better with Johson at KR and Fair at PR. (unless the team goes some other route, in which case I surrender and start watching some other sport)

So back to the problem with the Defense. Although this team is limitted at CB, I think Groce, Ivy, Fisher and Johnson will have to suffice...perhaps Bartell somewhere down the road.

So I think the most improvement potential is at safety where 2 things need to happen.

A: OJ Otagwe needs to get the start at free safety vs. INDY. I love Fury cause he gives 110%, but he's not the answer at FS. OJ will be out of position a lot, but needs to start his learning curve in the NFL. We are going to lose to INDY anyway, so let's get this guy in the game and start some on the job training. IT CAN'T GET ANY WORSE.

B: Jerome Carter needs to replace Archuleta. Archuleta in pass coverage is a liability. He can still be effective on the "running" package" sent in as a pseudo-linebacker/safety. But on most plays there just needs to be guys back there that are better in coverage. Leave the run stuffing to Claiborne and Co., and the pass coverage to guys who have actually been groomed to cover the pass, not a College LB trying to play SS and a receiver trying to play FS. THIS IS AGAIN MARTZ THINKING GUYS FROM ANOTHER POSITION CAN PLAY SAFETY!!! WHY???????

These rookies will have their learning curve and it could get ugly for a bit, but with 2 home games after INDY, they can try to win the shootout against the 'aints and the Jags, with a bye week to further bring this guys up to speed.

Anyone disagree???? Anyone who agrees think this will actually happen?

talkstoangels61 Guest

Re: Enough about the problems, how about the Answers

The answers are as follows Play the **** rookies at safties and OG's and fire a few players and Coaches starting at the top! I think ive mentioned this quite a few times!.......LOL...................check the other posts! But glad there is someone else that agrees with me!............Martz's hard head still thinks wr can be safeties and qb's etc. Play Bartell,Terrell,Otagwe,Carter, and who's the other Oline acyually guard we drafted?.................Adam Timmerman has lost his once dominating blocking ability! coakley has not done any better than Arch would be doing at that spot! What also happened to the Dline substitutions all game long? It used to work! Where's Marshall in the games? Mad Mike take a vacation would you please and take Marmie with you!
    Last edited by talkstoangels61; -10-10-2005 at 12:25 AM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    2. The special teams should get a little better with Johson at KR and Fair at PR.
    True, provided Fair doesn't get too tired playing defense, get a hangnail or stub his toe and is unable to fufill his duties as our punt returner.

Tony Soprano Guest

With all the DBs drafted this year you'd think one - ONE would be able to step in and play well as a starter.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    B: Jerome Carter needs to replace Archuleta. Archuleta in pass coverage is a liability. He can still be effective on the "running" package" sent in as a pseudo-linebacker/safety. But on most plays there just needs to be guys back there that are better in coverage. Leave the run stuffing to Claiborne and Co., and the pass coverage to guys who have actually been groomed to cover the pass, not a College LB trying to play SS and a receiver trying to play FS. THIS IS AGAIN MARTZ THINKING GUYS FROM ANOTHER POSITION CAN PLAY SAFETY!!! WHY???????
    Jerome Carter's strengths are in tackling and stopping the run, something Archuleta is already stellar at. I don't see how replacing Archie with a rookie could solve our coverage problems, or what Martz has to do with putting AA at safety. Every draft analyst knew he'd play that position for his pro career. We whine about MM not being involved with the defense... then blame him for personnel decisions like Archuleta, who's been around since Lovie's days. Do you want Archuleta at linebacker? Do you really think Carter could cover better?

Let's start two rookies at safety and bench the NFC Defensive Player of the Month. That should give Manning & Co. some problems.

sbramfan Guest

As for the Defensive player of the month, Arch got his first pick in almost his entire career and was in the right place at the right time. He also was the guy they picked to blitz on that 3rd down and ran right through the hole to get to Warner.

They were great plays and I know that Arch is getting back to speed, but these were plays that I would hope whomever we put at that spot would have made. I'm really not taking anything away from him and do not want to see him be benched or leave this team.

I'm just saying that I would bet money that Carter is Faster than Arch, and if he is ALSO good at tackling, run stuffing, etc... I would say the "upside" is that maybe he is BETTER IN COVERAGE than Archuleta. THE AREA THAT THIS TEAM DESPERATELY NEEDS HELP AT. Just because it may not be his strength, doesn't mean he wouldn't be better than Arch, who never had played safety before coming to the NFL. This guy IS a safety and I would bet if you let him play for 3 or 4 games, his coverage skills will start to show.

I'm not saying to play Arch as a LB, just that there are times when he is brought up to be in the box, so for those play calls, he definitely could be an asset as part of that package as well as many other formations that suit his specific skills.

Furry is not a Safety, period. I saw a lot of missed tackles vs. Seattle. Time to give OJ a start.