VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Enough about stopping the run...!

I need "Statman"...(whoever and wherever you are), to put together some numbers for me , and especially for all the parrots who keep regurgitating the "we need to stop the run" mantra, ad nauseum.

Facts are facts, and I cannot dispute them, but it is very interesting to go to the NFL website, and not only check out the stats, but also the teams. For instance, we were last in the NFC (145.7), behind the Redskins (137.3), Eagles (136.4), Saints (128.9) and Seahawks (126.8). Not bad company. (Colts were 173.8!) And I believe punt and kick-off returns are included in rushing stats, but even if that's not true, (and we don't get to beat on our ST's, which they deserve), 10-20 yards a game separates the Rams from 3 playoff teams last year.

Now I get to do some parroting...New D Coordinator, new system, new players, new chemistry. and blah, blah, blah, but they are significant if somewhat intangible facts, and oh yeah, not the greatest personnel.

Actually, the title of this thread should have said, "Enough with the "Defensive Tackle Lament", because I guarantee you, you cannot lay every one of those 10 to 20 yards per game at the feet of the Tackles. The Rams had some incredible whiffs at LB, CB and S that accounted for those back-breaking long runs that killed them last year. Some of the rushers the Rams played weren't too shabby either. Gore, Alexander, LT and LJ to name a few.

And we DID upgrade our D line...period. Oft-injured, Rookie or whatever, it's still (going to be) better than it was.

The one stat I'd really like to see is the rushing yards given up over the last 8 games vs. the first, and also what happened to the rush totals as the Offense started clicking.

There really is reason to be optimistic.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Enough about stopping the run...!

I'd really like to see is the rushing yards given up over the last 8 games vs. the first
    ____

57 Raiders***
    ____

We gave up 65 more yards in the last 8 games, we did not get better.

also what happened to the rush totals as the Offense started clicking
    We never really got up on a team, where they had to pass to get back into it.

I guarantee you, you cannot lay every one of those 10 to 20 yards per game at the feet of the Tackles.
    IMO The fact is it all starts up front, if the D line can't keep line men off of our LB we will not stop the run. All it takes is a couple of big runs and that it, we did not stop the run. Our D line has to be able to get pressure without sending CB and S on blitz's thats one less in the secondary to make a tackle down field.

Fact is the teams like the Colts and Eagles also could not stop the run, they are not good company to be in when it comes to stopping the run last year.

I do agree with new coach,scheme,players it takes time to learn and play together. I like the addition of Halll and AC. Wroten sounds like he is ready to play at a higher level. I like the fact we added, Draft and his 111 tackles he made last year. If Tino goes down we will have much better depth.

If Tino did not get hurt I don't think we would have been as bad against the run, but he did.
    Last edited by Rambos; -07-24-2007 at 11:20 AM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Let's face it, teams ran roughshod over the Rams defense last year and it was a huge problem. It's true they got shredded by guys like LT, LJ and Frank Gore, but they also couldn't stop the likes of Noah Herron or Maurice Morris, who both had career games against the Rams.

As for the DL, the coaching staff obviously saw it as a major weakness and in addition to jettisoning Jimmy Kennedy, have added four new players to try and shore things up.

We'll see how it all works out. I'm cautiously optimistic.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    57 Raiders***
    How sad is it that when we only allowed 57 yards, we have to explain we were playing the Raiders. Oh my, LOL. :x
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    How sad is it that when we only allowed 57 yards, we have to explain we were playing the Raiders. Oh my, LOL. :x
    Oh my is right. If that doesn't put things in perspective, nothing will.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd say an extra 20 yards on the ground per game is pretty significant. Football is played 10 yards at a time. Just a couple yards here or there can determine if a team is going to turn the ball over on downs, if a team is going to score a touchdown in the red zone, if a team makes it into field goal range...We allowed 21 touchdowns on the ground compared to Seattle's 12, Phillie's 12, and New Orleans' 10. When we give up those huge plays, we're talking points.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

What the D really needs to do is JUST TACKLE somebody, the rest will work it's self out.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Most of the big runs were created up the middle of our interior. Our line could not plug up the holes created by other teams and our speedy LB's couldnt compensate for their lack of size and had difficulty shedding blocks by linemen who made it hard to react in timely fashion. So up front is where it bigins. The same thing will happen again if our D-line
    doesnt man up.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Thanks Rambos, and good points RH and GF.

Well, so much for theories...sheesh, you can't get away with ANYTHING anymore. I can only console myself with the fact that the two monster games against us were LT and LJ, but can't explain the Panthers and Redskins running all over us.

I still maintain that with the two late round rooks, AC and Wroten, plus a healthy Pisa and Draft backing him, and a better rush with Hall, familiarity with the system and hopefully more trust in each other, we have every reason to be hopeful.

It's a tough league, but we'll all be watching a better product when the Rams take the field.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I really think that Carriker will be a solid player, maybe not early , but down the stretch.

Hall will be a very nice surprise, hopefully he will take some of the pressure off of Little.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Let's face it, teams ran roughshod over the Rams defense last year and it was a huge problem.
    Lets face it...teams have been running roughshod over the Rams for the last SEVERAL YEARS (a TRAIN WRECK since 2003) now. Its real old already. This is FOOTBALL...if you cant be tough up front and hold your ground....youre going NOWHERE.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Lets face it...teams have been running roughshod over the Rams for the last SEVERAL YEARS (a TRAIN WRECK since 2003) now. Its real old already. This is FOOTBALL...if you cant be tough up front and hold your ground....youre going NOWHERE.
    You're right, our defense has been horrible against the run for several years now, but the context of this discussion was what happened in 2006.