itsguud is offline Registered User

Enough with the O signings already...

Anybody else getting sick of turning to the sports page of their newspaper/blogsite or sports channel and seeing the Rams HAVE made a new signing... (as I'm sure we've made by far the most aquisitions this off-season), and seeing that once again it was an offensive player.

This is just getting out-of-hand. I love big O, and I love that its the Rams style of play, it makes for some exciting football to watch. But can we please, please just pick up something to help out the area(s) of our team that NEED the help!!! D/ST.

I'm talking about big brusing, or smart spectacular Defensive players, not DL, but LBs, and DBs. I want shutdown corners and brickwall LBs.

I'm worried right now about this season. From what I seen in the pre-season, we need work at DB... its not gonna get any better without action.

Come on HO give us Defense.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Enough with the O signings already...

I got bad news for you, right now our biggest need by far is an good back up OT. Than we can go after the D.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Mikhal is on target in my opinion. Steussie was potentially our best and most critical backup on the team. We are in deep doodoo if pace or barron goes down. Goldberg was terrible last year at tackle and while brown may have the body, he has never played the position as far as i know.

I would love to read that we pickup up kenyatta walker and waived another lineman, ie either trevor johnson or moore or an offensive lineman. When brown returns, you have to figure that we either waive a tight end or moore/johnson.

I do agree that i would love to have picked up a strong safety as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

Letís see in the last two years we added players that will see a lot of playing time. So how many do we need to add. Itís not like the new staff has ignored the defense. If anyone has let the defensive slip it was the old staff, this staff is making changes. Not one of these guys played for Martz.

Glover, La'Roi
    Spoon LB
    Draft LB
    Hall DE
    AC NT/DT
    Hill CB
    Wroten DT
    Wade CB
    Adeyanju, Victor DE
    Walls CB
    Brown, Fakhir CB
    Chavous, Corey SS

What more can be done?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rambos, in answer to your question what more can be done, the best answer is develop our young players. To some extent, we have made our bed, now we have to get the most out of our talent and get them to improve year to year and perform at the professional level. The key to the defense this year will be whether Hill, chillar, OJ, Spoon (year 2 in the middle), wroten, bartell, carriker are ready to contribute in a material way. We arent going to live or die off the play of chavous, glover and hall, but they can obviously help or hurt at the margain.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I get tired of continually seeing the same post about why we aren't signing all these defensive players ...

We aren't signing them because they aren't any out there worth signing ...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If the Rams were signing offensive players and neglecting to sign WORTHY defensive players then I could agree with the title of this thread. However, when players become available on either side of the ball that allow a team to upgrade its talent, the team must make a move to acquire that player.There is only so much talent to go around each year in the draft and free agency and the Rams actually did pretty well with regard to improving the D. We acquired DE Hall, and Draft in free agency, and drafted 1 for sure starter on D (Carriker), with Ryan and Wade probably not that far behind. It certainly isn't productive for a team to panic and throw big money at a marginal player. I for one am glad the Rams did not throw high dollars at a guy who for us would have been a situational player (Rice) particularly when his shoulder is not 100% and he is 33 yrs old already. It will be very interesting to see how well Chris Jenkins plays in the opener against us ... I think we made the right "non-move" there, but we'll see come Sunday.

One thing for sure is that the loss of Steussie was a cruel blow. Todd proved he could adequately backup Big O last year, and now we are perilously thin at both tackle spots with no help likely to appear soon on the horizon.

Over the last two years I gave you 12 players we have signed. Guys like Kennedy,Butler,Arch and a few other have all gone and we seen how well they have done, all cut or traded.

So it can't be we have not signed any new players on the D, we have.

Is the question, why have we not signed guys like....

Give some names of players you think would be upgrades of what we have. Thats fair...

The key to the defense this year will be whether Hill, chillar, OJ, Spoon (year 2 in the middle), wroten, bartell, carriker are ready to contribute in a material way. We arent going to live or die off the play of chavous, glover and hall, but they can obviously help or hurt at the margain.
    I agree GC these young guys sometimes take time to get up to speed, but it's on now Wroten,Hill,Bartell have to play big. AC and Clifton Ryan both need to play steady.

I like our LB a lot, with Kennedy they where getting ran over, lets hope the young guys can play with some heart on the D line.

Spoon started well and when Tino went down he slowed down. Add Draft to the mix we should be fine is someone get nicked up.

I'm more the ready for Sunday!
    GC

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote:
    That was my statement, but I agree with you 100% Rambos! I didn't mean we haven't signed players, I was speaking in response to the title of the thread. I think we have put the pieces together for a pretty solid defense in another year or two. Some of the young guys need to get some more experience, but I think we have solid, smart athletes at just about every position ...

Even when we were contending for Super Bowls, we didn't have a defense full of studs. We had very solid role players all around. I think we are building towards that again ...

My bad. No Worries.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I would rather have a high powered offense and a middle of the road defense vs A high powered defense and a middle of the road offense.

Offense is fun.........GSOT

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I think we need help on DEFENSE too.

Chavous was turned around and burned repeatedly in coverage in Pre-season. I am worried about our Defense.

Of course we need an OT - OF COURSE, then don't be signing running backs if we need an OT.

I'm worried about our Spec Teams and Defense - and the signings of late aren't helping us there.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Anybody else getting sick of turning to the sports page of their newspaper/blogsite or sports channel and seeing the Rams HAVE made a new signing... (as I'm sure we've made by far the most aquisitions this off-season), and seeing that once again it was an offensive player.

This is just getting out-of-hand. I love big O, and I love that its the Rams style of play, it makes for some exciting football to watch. But can we please, please just pick up something to help out the area(s) of our team that NEED the help!!! D/ST.

I'm talking about big brusing, or smart spectacular Defensive players, not DL, but LBs, and DBs. I want shutdown corners and brickwall LBs.

I'm worried right now about this season. From what I seen in the pre-season, we need work at DB... its not gonna get any better without action.

Come on HO give us Defense.
    Shutdown corners, brickwall LBs? Welcome to Free Agency next year.

You can't sign what isn't there, and you don't overpay for bargain bin players either, it's that simple.

Pittman is a nice prospect so why pass him up to sign nothing, that doesn't make sense. Signing "Chris Claiborne, Michael Hawthorne" type players isn't worth it.

Linehan already said they looked into other players and there just isn't anyone they want, or the players they did want went elsewhere. We tried to sign Rice, he liked Denver's uniforms better. We tried to sign Aaron Glenn, he went to the Jags.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

keith m. klink Guest

i think that the defense will suprise you guy's in a good way this year , with the youngsters making good grades and a great contribution , let's give them a few games before you rip em apart and cut them from the team huh . there were guy's here wanting to grab anybody this past spring that had a heartbeat because they thought they were so much better , like joey porter , kris jenkins , and a whole slew of others before we even drafted or went through free agency . when i heard that pittman was let go by the saints , and the rams grabbed him , i was totally hiked up . when the rams made their practice squad , they left room to manuver , and i like what i see on the team and PS . you only get better by adding young players in the draft , and suround them with good vet's . this team will contend with any team , just relax and stop being so damn negative . it seem like alot of you guy's want them to fail , just to say i told ya so . it's time to shut up and cheer , instead of barking how bad the team is without someone you thought they sould go sign or trade for .