Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Re: Enough of the predictions, this is why we WILL win.

First let me say that I totally appreciate your enthusiasm and passion for the Rams, and I totally agree that when healthy, the Rams are not a 3-13 team. Last years debacle was a direct result of an abundance of injuries to key players. But I would hesitate to say they were anything better than an 8-8 team. Your assessment of the Rams talent is a bit too optimistic, I believe.

-We have one of the best running backs in the game today
    True, but so do the Eagles, and Jackson hasn't taken a handoff during a game in a long time. He will be rusty, and he's in a new offense. All this doesn't add up well.
    -Bulger is healthy, he is a probowl QB
    Bulger is a Pro-bowl QB, but then again, McNabb is a five-time probowler.
    -our D-line has huge talent with excellent depth
    Little looks to be back in form. Carriker isn't setting the world on fire and Long may not even start this year. Hill is old as is Glover. They're far from having "huge" talent. If they had huge talent, they'd put more heat on the QB.
    -our o-line has pace healthy and it looks promising
    Again, there is promise, but Barron is still an underachiever, and Pace is NOT healthy. I would be surprised to see the big O last the year, again.
    -Hill could break out, atogwa proved him self, brown is solid, chaveous has leadership
    "could" is correct, and I'd be hesitant to predict a win on "could". Hill hasn't show it yet. Atogwe is not fully healthy and although a ball-hawk, he still makes too many mistakes in coverage. Chaveous hasn't shown himself to be a leader, and he's not a great cover guy. Brown is also not healthy.
    -Pisa survived pre-season,spoons play speaks for him self,Culberson has proved reliable
    No stand out here except Spoon. We're okay here, but not deep in talent.
    -donnie jones has a leg of steel and we all know what josh brown can do
    I'll give you this one. The Ram kickers are two of the best. Hopefully, we won't be using Jones too much this year.
    -Holt's knee is a non factor this year and with the addition of avery and burton we can revive this passing attack
    Granted, Holt seems to have some speed back, but it's early in the season, and we'll have to wait and see how it holds up over a 16-game season. Avery and Burton hold promise but it's rare that a rookie receiver makes a huge difference. We're hoping that two of them can. Who knows, maybe these guys are the next Holt and Bruce?
    -Were loaded at tightend(thanks scotty)
    I hope we start using this talent this year. With Saunders calling the plays, I'm hopeful we will.

I guess we'll have to see if this team can pick it up. Perhaps the "could"s, and "shoulds" work out the way we all hope and the Rams "shock the world". As much as we all want to see the Rams succeed, some of us take a more "show-me" attitude. There is a reason why so many of us long-time Ram fans are hesitant to declare this team a playoff contender. Probably the same reason the media, and just about every so-called "expert" collectively think the Rams will not be a team that will be playing in January. I'll hold judgement and any predictions on this team until I see something that makes me believe they're better than they've proven.

I will say this. The game Sunday is number one in a season of 16, and strange things do happen early in the season. The Eagles have some injury problems of their own, and McNabb has been know to throw up a stinker now and then. Perhaps the football gods will be with us this Sunday in Philly.

Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Man I can't wait to see what we can do. To beat the Eagles we need to keep turnovers low no team can overcome that. Take advantage of red zone chances. Pressure the qb. Do those 3 things and we should be ok.

Have you thought about announcing games on TV. It seems you have knack for it since they pretty much state the obvious......

I believed we will surprise some teams but I have to take a little odds on your statement that we can finally shut down a run game or get after the QB. The only thing we done to improve the pass rush is draft Long and he has not shown yet he is going to make a different this year.

R U sure thats the only difference. I can come up with several more if needed. A healthy and motivated Hall and Little. Carricker and Ryan now have a full season of OTA's and training camp. More comfortable with their roles within the D......

Do you need more... Long is not the only addtion to this years "D"...... Whatever he can bring will be more than welcomed.......

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    First let me say that I totally appreciate your enthusiasm and passion for the Rams, and I totally agree that when healthy, the Rams are not a 3-13 team. Last years debacle was a direct result of an abundance of injuries to key players. But I would hesitate to say they were anything better than an 8-8 team. Your assessment of the Rams talent is a bit too optimistic, I believe.

-We have one of the best running backs in the game today
    True, but so do the Eagles, and Jackson hasn't taken a handoff during a game in a long time. He will be rusty, and he's in a new offense. All this doesn't add up well.
    -Bulger is healthy, he is a probowl QB
    Bulger is a Pro-bowl QB, but then again, McNabb is a five-time probowler.
    -our D-line has huge talent with excellent depth
    Little looks to be back in form. Carriker isn't setting the world on fire and Long may not even start this year. Hill is old as is Glover. They're far from having "huge" talent. If they had huge talent, they'd put more heat on the QB.
    -our o-line has pace healthy and it looks promising
    Again, there is promise, but Barron is still an underachiever, and Pace is NOT healthy. I would be surprised to see the big O last the year, again.
    -Hill could break out, atogwa proved him self, brown is solid, chaveous has leadership
    "could" is correct, and I'd be hesitant to predict a win on "could". Hill hasn't show it yet. Atogwe is not fully healthy and although a ball-hawk, he still makes too many mistakes in coverage. Chaveous hasn't shown himself to be a leader, and he's not a great cover guy. Brown is also not healthy.
    -Pisa survived pre-season,spoons play speaks for him self,Culberson has proved reliable
    No stand out here except Spoon. We're okay here, but not deep in talent.
    -donnie jones has a leg of steel and we all know what josh brown can do
    I'll give you this one. The Ram kickers are two of the best. Hopefully, we won't be using Jones too much this year.
    -Holt's knee is a non factor this year and with the addition of avery and burton we can revive this passing attack
    Granted, Holt seems to have some speed back, but it's early in the season, and we'll have to wait and see how it holds up over a 16-game season. Avery and Burton hold promise but it's rare that a rookie receiver makes a huge difference. We're hoping that two of them can. Who knows, maybe these guys are the next Holt and Bruce?
    -Were loaded at tightend(thanks scotty)
    I hope we start using this talent this year. With Saunders calling the plays, I'm hopeful we will.

I guess we'll have to see if this team can pick it up. Perhaps the "could"s, and "shoulds" work out the way we all hope and the Rams "shock the world". As much as we all want to see the Rams succeed, some of us take a more "show-me" attitude. There is a reason why so many of us long-time Ram fans are hesitant to declare this team a playoff contender. Probably the same reason the media, and just about every so-called "expert" collectively think the Rams will not be a team that will be playing in January. I'll hold judgement and any predictions on this team until I see something that makes me believe they're better than they've proven.

I will say this. The game Sunday is number one in a season of 16, and strange things do happen early in the season. The Eagles have some injury problems of their own, and McNabb has been know to throw up a stinker now and then. Perhaps the football gods will be with us this Sunday in Philly.

You should go on the O'Rielly show it seems you can put a negative spin on anything.....

I do not disagree with everything you said however a few items IMHO were way off.....

What most of you fail to recognize is football is much more than individual talent. As long as you look at indivdual talent and neglect the team factor, coaching schemes, and leadership then you will never ever predict a winner.

Do you think each and every year the Patriots won they had the best talent.

Actually IMHO the only time they had more talent they lost....... Think about it before you respond....

GO RAMS....Saunders and Hasss will be the difference between 8-8 and 10-6 this year.....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Glad you brought up 8-8. That's exactly what the Eagles record was last season.

The biggest thing going against us is that this is a road game, that's it.

GO RAMS!!!!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    You should go on the O'Rielly show it seems you can put a negative spin on anything.....

I do not disagree with everything you said however a few items IMHO were way off.....

What most of you fail to recognize is football is much more than individual talent. As long as you look at indivdual talent and neglect the team factor, coaching schemes, and leadership then you will never ever predict a winner.

Do you think each and every year the Patriots won they had the best talent.

Actually IMHO the only time they had more talent they lost....... Think about it before you respond....

GO RAMS....Saunders and Hasss will be the difference between 8-8 and 10-6 this year.....
    LOL...

I was simply trying to "buffer" the original post by putting an opposing spin on each comment. However, you are absolutely correct in saying that the most talented team doesn't always win. That's why I've never said the Rams have NO chance of winning on Sunday. If they didn't, I wouldn't be so anxious to watch it Sunday.

The most talented team doesn't always win, as you pointed out. Since you pointed out the Patriots as your example, I'll use them for my example as well. Look at SB XXVI. The Rams should have won that game, because they had the most talent. Unfortunately, we had an idiot HC that got horribly out-coached.

...so, I'm with you on the possibility of a Ram victory, I just don't expect it.

Where's the number for O'Reilly?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

jquarando is offline Registered User

No matter how talented these rams are they have an extremely brutal schedule the first week of the season.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Man I can't wait to see what we can do. To beat the Eagles we need to keep turnovers low no team can overcome that. Take advantage of red zone chances. Pressure the qb. Do those 3 things and we should be ok.

Have you thought about announcing games on TV. It seems you have knack for it since they pretty much state the obvious......

I believed we will surprise some teams but I have to take a little odds on your statement that we can finally shut down a run game or get after the QB. The only thing we done to improve the pass rush is draft Long and he has not shown yet he is going to make a different this year.

R U sure thats the only difference. I can come up with several more if needed. A healthy and motivated Hall and Little. Carricker and Ryan now have a full season of OTA's and training camp. More comfortable with their roles within the D......

Do you need more... Long is not the only addtion to this years "D"...... Whatever he can bring will be more than welcomed.......
    I would love to do TV lol maybe I can team up with RAMFANRAIDERHATER on the O'Rielly show. I believe the name of the post is Enough of the predictions, this is why we WILL win. I guss I could say we will win because we look good in our uniform. Our D line only posted 5.5 sacks last season thats the entire D-line. Yes Little has look very good during the preseason. Hall has played better this preseason. I also said I am cautiously optimist. I want to be shown that we can play great defense in the regular season. Can not wait for Sunday to start to get those answers Go Rams
    :ramlogo:

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Definitely those things listed are the positives of this team, however, I just watched the NFL Yearbook of the 2007 Rams and the way they showed them, it looked like the Rams had made the playoffs and were one of the top teams in the NFL last year....yet we only won 3 games, so you have to keep these positives in perspective.

Probably if you take any team in this league and look internally at their talent and potential, you can make a similar list.

And if we DON'T beat Philly, we are in trouble, because it doesn't get any easier.

Those are the positives....let's hope we can put it all together this year!!!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think the Rams have a very tough matchup going on the road vs. Philly early in the year. McNabb and Co. always start out pretty fast and then fade when the injuries set in. I would think the Rams chances would be much better if they faced the Eagles later in the season especially when the new offense for the Rams, Jackson's preseason holdout, Pace's bad wing on top of coming off of an injury, etc. don't make for a good situation.

Anything is possible though and I'd hate to have my life staked on predicting week 1 NFL games but this doesn't look like a good matchup. Aren't Bulger's career numbers on the road pretty bad too? And he's coming off an injury. There's lots to be nervous about.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Linehan has historically opened up the season with a relatively basic gameplan, and opened up the playbook as the season goes on. I know that Saunders is calling the shots now, but I'm guessing this is an overall strategy that Linehan wants to continue. Especially with the new playbook.

My guess is that we'll see some new wrinkles in the offense against the Eagles, possilbly even a no-huddle thrown in there, but mostly I think we are going to stick to trying to run plays that give us a good chance "not" to make critical mistakes....somewhat of a west-coast offense if you will.

I think we will see a lot of running plays (mostly with SJ, but probably Pittman as well since SJ is just coming back).

It's probably smart. I don't think we want to lose this game because of turnovers or any unforced errors.

....of course, at the same time, it's the Philadelphia Eagles, and we may need to throw everything but the kitchen sink at them to beat them, so I hope we are prepared to open things up if we need to.
    Last edited by renrawtruk; -09-02-2008 at 12:29 PM.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Offensively we have the edge. McNabb doesn't have the wheels he used to and I wasn't always too impressed with him. I feel Westbrook is overrated and will be staring at a not too shabby defensive line. Here is where I would worry and I'm talking about them. We have SJ and he is going to cut down the eagles defense and keep our defense off the field. That being said hopefully we stay healthy. Need our guys back for a brutal first half schedule!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

i gotta say the eagles scare me as the week one team we open up against . they are a very good football team and they have a GREAT defense and a Great offensive line. . . but i am really looking for the rams to pull out the shocker in philly and i call it a shocker because thats exactly whats the sports reporters will call it when i watch the highlights

Lets Go Rams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rams 21 eagles 17 Final
    Torry Holt Dont play that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12