evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Enough with the whining, let's get constructive

It's easy to criticize every facet of the team when they're 0-3 - all of a sudden every draft pick is a bust, the coaches are incompetent, and every veteran is washed up.

It's also lazy to constantly call for Linehan's head when it's almost a given, at this point, that he will not survive through the end of the season. Firing him will not magically cure every problem.

So let's get specific - what would you do to ignite the team right now, or at least begin the process of a turnaround for the Rams in the future?

A few of my ideas, to start off...

Simplify the offense
    Al Saunders is widely known for having the fattest playbook in the league. Perhaps the players haven't been able to fully grasp what he's trying to establish. Perhaps Saunders himself is not yet be familiar enough with the players he's inherited to know what works best. Instead of crazy shifts and quick throws, I'd like to see more emphasis on running between the tackles (where Steven Jackson belongs, not shuffling around outside the perimeter) and more play-action to freeze the safeties and LBs, opening up the deep ball or more underneath throws to McMichael.

Simplify the defense
    Jim Haslett has been mentioned among opponents as having one of the more complicated defenses to prepare for. Matt Hasselbeck actually offered advice (in the form of his opinion) that the Rams' defense is beating itself - often being out of position because they are trying to disguise different coverages/blitzes. Why try to disguise anything when it doesn't work in the first place? The defense has had its good moments under Haslett, but now it often reminds me of the Larry Marmie era, where players were thinking so much about what they were supposed to be doing or where they were supposed to be that they forget the fundamentals - taking the right angles, wrapping up, and playing the ball. There is talent on this defense - Witherspoon and Atogwe have shown their production, while guys like Tye Hill, Quinton Culberson, Clifton Ryan, and Adam Carriker had shown glimpses in '07. I don't believe they all simply lost it in the black hole of '08. Simplify the schemes and let the players make the plays. (And IMO, start Carriker at UT, Ryan at NT, and keep Glover as a situational pass-rusher).

Youth Injection
    The Rams are officially the oldest team in the NFL. Old habits die hard, and this team hasn't won consistently for some time. The urgency and fortitude that this team needs could be encouraged with an injection of some younger guys into the lineup - guys who are trying to prove themselves instead of giving the "bare minimum" some veterans might stop themselves at. I don't care if some older players seem better in practice based on knowing their assignments or simply performing well enough not to lose their job, especially when their salary is part of that equation. These players are practicing against the worst offense and the worst defense in the league, so anybody could come out looking better than they are. Throw the youngins into the fire and you might see different results. Three easy names to bring up are John Greco, Roy Schuening, and Donnie Avery.

Bench a Captain
    You wanna send a message to this team that nobody's job is safe? Forget Bulger, how about Corey Chavous? There is no upside at all to Chavous - he might have a coach's knowledge on schemes and assignments - but when it comes down to on-field play, he has repeatedly shown that his tackling and coverage skills are equally inept. Haslett gave Todd Johnson high grades based on his performance in the preseason, and Brannon Condren (from what I've read) was an up-and-comer with the Colts, a playmaker in the preseason, and a victim of the numbers game for the final roster. I'd rather give either of those guys a chance to show what they can do than suffer through more of what we already know Chavous cannot do.

Fire the Front Office
    This is sort of a given, and more of a long-term approach, instead of figuring out how to turn this '08 team around. But hey, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Fans have groped and complained for years, even through the rose-colored-glasses of the GSOT days, about how inept this front office is.

For those of you looking for reasons to switch teams, good riddance. In my mind, a fan[atic] wouldn't even let that thought enter their mind, no matter how bad things were going with the team.

But for those others, the diehards - remember that the best times are ahead. When there is a new owner in place, who would rather field a winning team than win on the bottom line - when there are Football guys in place making personnel decisions, instead of the owner's favorite accountant and lawyer - things will be brighter. The Rams will be back.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -09-24-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Enough with the whining, let's get constructive

agree with a lot of what you say E.D.M!

id like them to start out a game like they did against Indy a few years back on MNF. Mike Martz had just been hospitalized and it was Joe Vitt`s first game as interim HC..we entered the game with tempo..we run 10 times out of 10 and sent out a messege..this is what we gonna do,you may end up beating us but we gonna do it anyway...the tempo we started that game at blew me away...we were 17-0 up before Marc got taken out of the game trying to make a block..dumb thing to do but hey ho,back to my point...we started that game with basic plays but with GREAT TEMPO..i want to see that back!

the most important quarter a struggling team wanting to turn things around in will always be the first..whatever happens in the first quarter will more often than not snowball thro the next 3 quarters. we go down early next game and we done for the game before weve even started..we get an early lead and anything can happen!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

EDM, excellent post.

Great ideas and good attitude.

Personally, I'm liking what I have seen over the past few days by this staff and I hope there is more to come.

I don't even care if it does not bring a win. I'm just glad to see they are fighting back and shaking these bums up. Albeit a bit too late but I'm liking it nonetheless.

This staff has been MR. NICE GUY for far too long in my opinion.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I also agree with a lot of what you say. I just think benching bulger is the wrong way to go about it. Fix it where its broken. Its not broken with bulger, he just needs better support, starting with the o line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Personally, I'm liking what I have seen over the past few days by this staff and I hope there is more to come.

I don't even care if it does not bring a win. I'm just glad to see they are fighting back and shaking these bums up. Albeit a bit too late but I'm liking it nonetheless.

This staff has been MR. NICE GUY for far too long in my opinion.
    Agreed - I was pretty thrilled to see that some lineup changes are now being made. The young guys like Adeyanju and Ryan deserve a chance to show what they've got. These players need some sort of kick in the rump, and what better motivation than being demoted? Whether or not the players believe in Linehan/Haslett, if they don't show up to play and make an honest effort, they need to realize their own wallets (and pride, if they have any) could be taking a hit in the future.

I'd also like to see some gutsy playcalling - an onside kick here, a fleaflicker there, maybe even start the game in a two-minute offense to give the team a sense of urgency. Something. Anything.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

I can't disagree with much of anything in the original post. My only serious gripe about benching Bulger on offense is that he is the only one they benched on offense. As much as I dislike Hasslet at least he is REALLY shaking things up, at least that is what the rumor mill is indicating. According to rumor he is going to be starting at least 5 new players.

I still do not think Bulger is the issue, but if you say you are going to shake things up, then SHAKE THEM UP all the way.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Aside for my cry's of FIRE Linehan, I think I been offering constructive advice. Many other contributors have also mentioned ideas with merit worthy of consideration....PROBELM

No one on in the RAMS organization bothers to read posts on this site. More the pity, because they should. Mostly because we are the reason there is a team called the Rams--without Fans you have 53 over paid guys playing a rough sport.

but I think someone from the Dolphins must have read a few of my posts. I been saying to run plays no one can predict, like the opposition. I been saying its time to throw the kitchen sink at the Rams opponents. And what did the Dolphins do to the Pats--threw the kitchen sink at them plus the toilet.

Simpliefying the offense--why, the Rams can't even run block. How much more simple can it get to putting helmet on helmet and charge forward?

For the longest time I been saying the Rams need a 2 back set--run support, pass protection and provide another recieving option. That with single and/or double TE for either run or pass.
    In a pitched battle where one is out numbered or over matched, commanders attempt to concentrate on a given sector, having done everything possible to conceal their ploy. This rule of warfare can easily be applied to football. In theory the offense always has the advantage of knowing where the play is going where as the defense is reduced to second guessing and reacting. Pity the Rams offense hasn't grasped that advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Simpliefying the offense--why, the Rams can't even run block. How much more simple can it get to putting helmet on helmet and charge forward?
    True, and for all we know Saunders has been keeping it simple. Maybe one of the reasons they're starting Green is because he is more familiar with the system and Saunders will be able to open up the playbook more.

Either way, there needs to be some sign of change in the playcalling, adapting to the players' skills. Holt catching 5-yard slants, Jackson running sweeps, and dumping off the ball to Dante "ex-factor" Hall will not drive this offense down the field.

If your going to get any production out of the running game, the Rams need to run the counter trade with a full-back to spring Jackson 2-3 yards deep and let his speed and bulk do the rest...he ought to be averading 5 yards a play and break one every now deep into the secondary.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

No offense, but why are you talking about the Dolphins? listening to you, yet you state the FO of the the Rams organization do not? How do you know this, and how do you know the dolphins in the ocean are hearing your sound wave.?

I can't even respond any further to you, because this is such a dumb post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Aside for my cry's of FIRE Linehan, I think I been offering constructive advice. Many other contributors have also mentioned ideas with merit worthy of consideration....PROBELM

No one on in the RAMS organization bothers to read posts on this site. More the pity, because they should. Mostly because we are the reason there is a team called the Rams--without Fans you have 53 over paid guys playing a rough sport.

but I think someone from the Dolphins must have read a few of my posts. I been saying to run plays no one can predict, like the opposition. I been saying its time to throw the kitchen sink at the Rams opponents. And what did the Dolphins do to the Pats--threw the kitchen sink at them plus the toilet.

For the longest time I been saying the Rams need a 2 back set--run support, pass protection and provide another recieving option. That with single and/or double TE for either run or pass.
    In a pitched battle where one is out numbered or over matched, commanders attempt to concentrate on a given sector, having done everything possible to conceal their ploy. This rule of warfare can easily be applied to football. In theory the offense always has the advantage of knowing where the play is going where as the defense is reduced to second guessing and reacting. Pity the Rams offense hasn't grasped that advantage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Ever have a good idea...and low and behold, someone has a simular idea. No the Dolphins in the sea can't feel the vibration in the sea, but what do I care--all I know is I like a little extra in my Tuna

Seriously, if someone in front office read all the posts, something would be done--right? At the end of 07 how many bloggers here wanted Linehan back in 08. Last I looked the village idiot was still encharge. Last I looked the same dumb &*! plays in 07 are prety muched being run in 08. last i looked the same problems in 07 are still a problem in 08

Gee--I wonder if anyone in the front office is listening. If they are, its doely noted, and doely ignored.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Nice post EDM.

Firstly, I feel that benching Bulger is a mistake. There are plenty of candidates to catch splinters on our roster and I feel that Bulger has been deeply unfortunate to be the one nominated to actually do it. Its less about his standard of play (which I have to say could have been a lot worse behind our line) as much as it is about making some sort of statement.

If it is about making a statement then its misplaced because we more pressing areas in need of change and we're placing a QB with a history of recent serious concussion behind a line that has yet to prove it can protect or open holes.

Still, I wish Trent well and hope that he's able to turn the clock back 3-4 years, if only for a weekend.

As for Linehan he'll be gone in any case and having argued for this, his third season in the light of the injury plague of last season I couldn't, in all conscience do so again. I won't have to though.

I'd agree with the simplification of the offensive and defensive schemes. In terms of personnel, I'd be looking to give Scheuning and Greco an opportunity in the next couple of weeks and would certainly be getting Avery on the field. I see no sense in picking someone largely on the strength of his speed and being ready for the pro's and then not playing him when you're 0-3.

On defense, we have to have a very close look at where Carriker would best be placed, whether Tinoisamoa has the nickname but nothing else and we should be benching Chavous. Hill still has a future I think but whether its as a full-time starter remains to be seen. We have seen signs from some of these guys, as EDM said and that can't just disappear into the ether.

Carriker, Long, Ryan,Withersoon ( is he best at OLB or MB?) and Atogwe can form a decent core and given the right environment I think they will.

The front office is a bad joke and has been for years and I've said enough about them already elsewhere.