ramhard is offline Registered User

On espn radio - Ram offseason evaluation

ON espn radio Randy Mueller and Sean S. were grading teams offseason moves. Gave the Rams a C as they liked the Pace signing but didn't like the linebacker pickups. The overall comment was the Rams need to pick a direction for the defense - small and fast or big and nasty. Felt Coakley was a lateral pick (smaller, effort guy), and didn't like Clairborne pickup (on very poor Minnesota defense and they didn't want him, often gets out of shape, not dedicated).

Felt the Rams were confused on what they were doing on defense.

Don't kill the messenger just reporting.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: On espn radio - Ram offseason evaluation

Well, consider the source(s).

Salisbury is a clown. Mueller is knowledgable, but, given his history with the Saints, probably has no love for the Rams.

I don't see any inherent contradiction in the way the Rams are building their defense. Just because you want to get "bigger" as an overall plan, doesn't mean you abandon speed altogether.

I also find it amusing that Coakley is described as a smallish player. He's 5'11 and about 230. They guy he's replacing, Tommy Polley, carried about 10 few pounds on a much larger (he's at least 6'3) frame.

I like the LB signings, particularly given the fact that neither player required a $10 million signing bonus (like the one Ed Hartwell is seeking).

RamTime Guest

Then again nothing say's this defense will be any better. Replacing bodies is one thing but I still say we need to replace the DC. The Rams need to have a better then average defense to go any place and Marmie has never been that.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The Rams need to have a better then average defense to go any place and Marmie has never been that.
    I'll disagree with you here. If we can solidify the O-Line all we need is an average defense to win the Super Bowl. With our high powered offense we can hang with anybody, and if we get a defense that can hold the other team to 24 points or less we will win a large majority of our games.

viper is offline Registered User

Special teams may just be the wild card this year. If it is improved, I like our chances. If it is not, we could be in for more of the same. Let's hope it is a priority this off season.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I was very surprised they were interested in Claiborne. The Vikings weren't interested in him at any price and the Minnesota Papers had gotten on him pretty good.

I'm not sure about the Claiborne... I hope I'm wrong.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This is great news. The truth is always the opposite of whatever Salisbury thinks. If he thinks the LB signings were bad, then they're bound for the pro bowl. The truth is this...the Lions took Claiborne with the #9 pick in the draft. He never played like the #9 pick and was signed to a big FA deal in Minnesota. He didn't play consistent there either, so they got ticked. In both cases, he didn't play consistently because neither team would leave him in one spot, his natural position of MLB. For us (assuming Marmie doesn't have a brain cramp) he will never leave MLB. Honestly, I'm more excited about the Claiborne signing than the Coakley signing (which also was a good value pick-up).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Salisbury's position changes more than a windsock in a hurricane. He'll make a statement and then, whenever it's obvious he's wrong, weeks later he'll say the exact opposite and never acknowledge his previous errors. I remember reading a transcript about some stuff he said about Drew Brees, and granted not many people predicted Brees would have the year he did, but whenever Salisbury went back and talked about Brees, he made it sound like he's loved the guy since birth. I have little respect for the guy or his opinion.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    I'll disagree with you here. If we can solidify the O-Line all we need is an average defense to win the Super Bowl. With our high powered offense we can hang with anybody, and if we get a defense that can hold the other team to 24 points or less we will win a large majority of our games.
    An average D would be a GIANT step from last year! They were worse than below par! 99's D wasn't all that great!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The defense in 1999 was ranked 6th in the NFL.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    The defense in 1999 was ranked 6th in the NFL.
    I wasn't sure of the Ranking but When most offenses have to play catch up, it makes that D look good. If the Rams would have had a smash'em up running O, the ranking would have been much lower! And would have probably exploited that D in the earlier part of the season! Thus meaning the Rams may never have went to the BOWL!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    I wasn't sure of the Ranking but When most offenses have to play catch up, it makes that D look good. If the Rams would have had a smash'em up running O, the ranking would have been much lower! And would have probably exploited that D in the earlier part of the season! Thus meaning the Rams may never have went to the BOWL!!!!!!
    Hm, something tells me that a Martz led team will never have to worry about relying too heavily on a smash'em up run O.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Bigger is better!!!! If the Rams increase the size of the defence then I am a happy man. If that is what it takes to keep opposing teams from rushing for 300 plus yards against them in a playoff game then so be it.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

fearlessone is offline Registered User

We have so many leaders on the Offensive side of the ball, but who is our defensive field leader/captain? now that it looks like it is perhaps time for Aeneas to hang it up.

Theo' is correct and balanced :redface: . We need some big time help so we can keep teams to 24 points so we win 28-24 :confused: We need to spend the money on some vet players to mold this "D" into an identity with vet leadership to create an attitude like Ray Lewis and the Ravens, the Pats or the Steelers have each and every time they take the field.

Our D needs A LOT OF SWAGGER!

But I think our offseason grade should be B minus and I hope we pick up some better players in June ...

I hope we have a plan ....
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!