Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

ESPN Ram's assessment - Jaws and Merrill Hoge

I just saw NFL live (whatever they call it).. The show with Ron Jaworski and the Former RB from the Pittsburgh Steelers. They break down the plays and evaluate the teams like coaches.

They analyzed the Rams and both Merrill Hoge and Jaws said that Martz is doing great things on Offense with his schemes. Jaws said this is "incredible stuff" and that Martz is an offensive mastermind.

Then Jaws said that he evaluated the Ram's Defense too. He said the Ram's DEF is having trouble. He said that the D is not playing as a team. He said the DEF is playing like they all have HERO complexes. They all want to be the one making the play and they're not being disciplined and they're NOT playing Team Defense.
    Jaws said he knows Larry Marmie must be really frustrated with all the mistakes and the general performance of the Ram's DEF.
    -------------

My take:

These guys (and the host) were very favorable of the Rams on OFF where, as a fan, we have been critical of the Ram's OFF.. They said (and I missed the begginning of the OFF assessment) the Rams are doing things on OFF that are VERY hard to Defense.. They said it puts a lot of responsibility on the QBs shoulders because they have so many real-time options and decisions, but they said this is stuff you don't see other teams doing.

So, where Martz is getting beat up by fans, maybe the problem lies with the EXECUTION on Offense and not the design or calls. And, of course, the DEF is having mucho problems.

Hasselbeck8MVP is offline Registered User

Re: ESPN Ram's assessment - Jaws and Merrill Hoge

Martz is a guy, that when the play he calls works... he is seen as a genius..

But when they don't work - he's frowned upon in the media, your fan base, other teams fan bases, etc.

I don't really get it. The same things could be said about a lot of coaches. If that pitch to McDonald on the reverse was successful, and he wound up scoring.. you'd hear about what a brilliant play call that was and how the Giants never suspected that to happen.

Instead an unfortunate pitch happens, the ball is fumbled and eventually turned over.. and it all is Martz's fault.

Two way street folks...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselbeck8MVP

But when they don't work - he's frowned upon in the media, your fan base, other teams fan bases, etc.

I don't really get it. The same things could be said about a lot of coaches. If that pitch to McDonald on the reverse was successful, and he wound up scoring.. you'd hear about what a brilliant play call that was and how the Giants never suspected that to happen.

Instead an unfortunate pitch happens, the ball is fumbled and eventually turned over.. and it all is Martz's fault.

Two way street folks...
    Interesting that more than a few Seahawk fans seem to think this way. I hear them say they hate his smug arrogance, but I rarely hear them say he's a idiot or not a good coach.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

He is good coach, but that won't win the Big one. Seen that first hand. I actually like Martz, but I like him better in the box!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Then Jaws said that he evaluated the Ram's Defense too. He said the Ram's DEF is having trouble. He said that the D is not playing as a team. He said the DEF is playing like they all have HERO complexes. They all want to be the one making the play and they're not being disciplined and they're NOT playing Team Defense.
    Jaws said he knows Larry Marmie must be really frustrated with all the mistakes and the general performance of the Ram's DEF.
    Personally, I have no sympathy for Marmie. He has not proven that he can coach a defense yet.

I hope the defense starts to gel dispite the fact that Marmie is still here. They need to play as team. They need to play their positions. They need to be aware of the opponent and they need to read them like a book. They need to stop making stupid mistakes and they need to learn that you can tackle without yanking on a face mask. Discipline is necessary. Team defense is necessary and blitzing is necessary.

How long do we have to keep Marmie?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

JAWS--------is his correct name need i say anything else and how lond did Mr. Hodge play this game and if he's so great why isn't he coaching?...............He needs to be a lttle more humble IMO!

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

The problem, really, is when he runs what is perceived as a trick play and it fails or ends up in a turnover and the fans let him have it. In reality, a turnover is what it is and as a fan, I'll be just as frustrated as the rest of you guys if they drop the ball on a basic play. (Especially around the end zone).

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselbeck8MVP

Two way street folks...