ram3057 is offline Registered User

ESPN The Sports Guys NFL Preview

Excuse me if this has already made it to the board

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060906

"My 2006 sleeper is (drumroll please) the Rams of St. Louis.

The explanation: Last year's team underachieved because of the ongoing Martz soap opera, Marshall Faulk's awkward situation and various injuries. The Rams have a fairly easy schedule that includes San Fran, Arizona, Detroit and Green Bay in the first five weeks, followed by a clash against rival Seattle at home in Week 6 (and Alexander's ACL should have exploded by then). They beefed up a lousy defense with three marquee free agents (Corey Chavous, La'Roi Glover and Will Witherspoon, who was great for the Panthers), drafted corner Tye Hill in the first round and hired Jim Haslett as their defensive coordinator. (Note: I like when teams hire former head coaches as coordinators, they're almost overqualified for the job).

The Rams have genuine firepower on offense (Steven Jackson, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marc Bulger, even Kevin Curtis), as well as a new head coach, Scott Linehan, who worked under Nick Saban and seems exceedingly competent by all accounts. Throw in Seattle's inevitable collapse and the Rams absolutely REEK of sleeperdom. That's why I'm picking them."

:l

Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Re: ESPN The Sports Guys NFL Preview

That would be Bill Simmons who wrote that. Posted that earlier on another thread! Can't remember which one.:\
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

norcalramfan is offline Registered User

Re: ESPN The Sports Guys NFL Preview

Quote Originally Posted by ram3057 View Post
    Excuse me if this has already made it to the board

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060906

"My 2006 sleeper is (drumroll please) the Rams of St. Louis.

The explanation: Last year's team underachieved because of the ongoing Martz soap opera, Marshall Faulk's awkward situation and various injuries. The Rams have a fairly easy schedule that includes San Fran, Arizona, Detroit and Green Bay in the first five weeks, followed by a clash against rival Seattle at home in Week 6 (and Alexander's ACL should have exploded by then). They beefed up a lousy defense with three marquee free agents (Corey Chavous, La'Roi Glover and Will Witherspoon, who was great for the Panthers), drafted corner Tye Hill in the first round and hired Jim Haslett as their defensive coordinator. (Note: I like when teams hire former head coaches as coordinators, they're almost overqualified for the job).

The Rams have genuine firepower on offense (Steven Jackson, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marc Bulger, even Kevin Curtis), as well as a new head coach, Scott Linehan, who worked under Nick Saban and seems exceedingly competent by all accounts. Throw in Seattle's inevitable collapse and the Rams absolutely REEK of sleeperdom. That's why I'm picking them."

:l
    You may be on to something. I also like the off season moves. they have planted the seeds for success, all we have to do is sit back and watch!:r