Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

From ESPN on trial -LL says two beers

I know I may be hard and I have no idea whether he was drunk or not, BUT it will hard for me to root for LL as a player after hearing he had (under his own admission) at least two beers. After killing someone while intoxicated, hard to see ever taking a drink again - unless its a sickness (addiction).

-----------------------------
    from ESPN.com

CLAYTON, Mo. -- Leonard Little failed several field sobriety tests when stopped for speeding a year ago, the officer who arrested him told jurors Thursday as testimony began in the DWI trial of the St. Louis Rams defensive end.

Ladue Police Officer Gregory Stork said Little "was intoxicated. There's no doubt in my mind."

Scott Rosenblum, Little's attorney, said in his opening argument earlier in the day that the sobriety tests were flawed.

Little is charged with speeding and felony drunk driving as a persistent offender. In 1999, Little pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of 47-year-old Susan Gutweiler in a crash in downtown St. Louis.

In that case, Little's blood-alcohol level was nearly twice Missouri's legal limit. Little later served three months in jail, four years of probation and 1,000 hours of community service. He also was suspended without pay for the first half of the 1999 season.

If convicted of the DWI charge, Little -- a Pro Bowl selection in 2003 -- could face up to four years in prison and another NFL suspension.

Little was stopped shortly before 4 a.m. last April 24 on Interstate 64.

During testimony, Stork told jurors that Little swayed to keep his balance, placed his hand on his 2003 Mercedes to stay steady, and had watery, bloodshot eyes. He said Little failed three field sobriety tests and submitted to a portable breath test at the scene that detected the presence of alcohol.

But Stork said the 30-year-old refused to take a breathalyzer test once in custody at the Ladue police station within an hour of being pulled over. He later asked to place a call to his attorney.

Rosenblum said Little had only had two beers the morning in question and was not intoxicated when stopped by police, who said Little was driving 78 mph in a 55-mph zone. Little told the arresting officer he had been with friends in downtown St. Louis and was headed home to St. Charles.

Rams coach Mike Martz was among those attending the trial -- in a packed courtroom -- in support of Little.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Re: From ESPN on trial -LL says two beers

"I only had the two beers she poured for me!"

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm truly disgusted. How does this dumb-azz drink, get behind the wheel of a car and get ANY sympathy? Was he "legally" drunk? Who knows, but that's not the problem to me. He already got a second chance and he's showing that he learned his lesson by drinking and driving. The rich ******* needs to hire a driver if he can't stop his own addicted azz from drinking.

I'm sure he's going to get off again on some technicality or reasonable doubt but he doesn't deserve to be a free man if you ask me. Aren't criminals who are on probation severely limited in what they are allowed to do in life? They're "out" but they are on a short leash and have a lot to prove before they are trusted again. What exactly has Little proven? He promises not to drink as much as the last time he murdered someone?

I hope he's banned from the NFL and thrown in prison. Dumb azz.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'd say that two beers is not likely to render a 260+ lb. man intoxicated, but I agree with you that given Little's history he shouldn't even be having a teaspoon of Nyquil before getting behind the wheel.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Aren't criminals who are on probation severely limited in what they are allowed to do in life? They're "out" but they are on a short leash and have a lot to prove before they are trusted again. What exactly has Little proven?
    After his first arrest, Little spent three months in jail, served four years of probation, and completed 1,000 hours of community service.

His probation wasn't lasting forever. This incident is nearly seven years later.

But I agree with your general sentiment.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This makes me curious. I myself am not a drinker. For those of you that do imbibe on occasion, how much of a difference do you feel after 2 beers. I'm sure tolerances for alcohol are different for everyone, but I'm honestly curious what would two beers do to the average guy?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

2 beers for a 260 pound athlete would give little to no buzz at all. I'm 240+ and I barely feel 2 beers...maybe just enough to relax a bit, but no real buzz...def. way below any level of intoxication...With his record it was pretty stupid to drive after drinking anything...

tanus is offline Registered User

2 beers does absolutely nothing to me even on an empty stomach. It's quite humorous hearing all these people go off on LL as if they have never done anything wrong. Funny thing is that a lot of you are already saying he is guilty, which is quite sad in my opinion.

I could really care less what LL does off the field. I don't know him and don't really care to know him. The only thing I care about is what he does on the field.

general counsel Guest

Tanus, with all due respect, werent you a keg chugging champion during college? I agree that two beers over a period of time in a 260 pound man is a non issue biologically, but in terms of his judgement, he is wrong given his history to have anything to drink and then get behind the wheel. In the law, we call this the appearance of impropriety.

general counsel

well, who wasnt a keg chugging champion in their college days? lol

was it smart for him to have 2 beers? no

was he drunk? from what i have read, it doesn't appear so, if he is found guilty, then i will say yes, if he is found not guilty, then the answer is no

i guess i just have a very different viewpoint on this than everyone else. i dont think just because he made a mistake he should have to give up alcohol for the rest of his life. that just seems stupid to me. he has to live with the fact that he killed someone for the rest of his life. some of you just seem to forget that.

i dont see a problem with having 2 beers and then driving home later that night.

general counsel Guest

I dont think he should have to give up alcohol either. That is a matter of conscience and his own choice. I think its tough for any of us to say what we would do under the circumstances since i think that this is one of those thinks that is impossible to evaluate unless you have actually caused the death of another human being. Each person reacts in his own way to that.

However, i do think that he should 100% completely give up drinking combined with driving.

general counsel

moklerman is offline Registered User

Tanus, I don't think your perception of what Little did is very accurate. You make it sound like he mis-filed his taxes or wrote a bad check. He killed someone and got a virtual free pass on it. He took a plea bargain, probably offered because of his celebrity-like status on the Rams, and was penalized the equivelant of a slap on the wrist.

Well, he got his free pass the first time. I say, swing the favoring the other way this time. Instead of four years, give him ten. He isn't being criticized for drinking beer.

Imagine your wife as the one that he murdered. Would you still think that it's harmless for him to have a few beers and then go driving around at almost 80 miles an hour? I'm all for giving people second chances but I draw the line when it comes to three. If he didn't snap out of it and understand the reality of his actions after the first time then I say he's not going to learn.

a third chance? really? my point exactly. you have already labeled him guilty for this charge. pretty sad in my opinion.

ive already stated that it wasnt smart for him to drink any beers and then drive, but as of right now, he isnt guilty of breaking the law.

the laws need to be harsher for people who drive drunk though. im not arguing that.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Not legal but in good conscience

Go back to my original post - I didn't say legally one way or another I don't know, that wasn't the point. The point is reasonableness as a person period - and my choice of who to root for.

No matter whether its 2 beers (so how about 3, 4? 5 maybe, what if he's dehydrated does that make it more or less). I just say that if you have KILLLED someone driving while intoxicated (this isn't a former DUI conviction where you were pulled over, this is ending someones life, changing the life of their family and kids if they had any - forever - just because you do community service or time in jail doesn't change their hurt or pain), not matter how much you have paid the legal penalty - I think is more than stupid but unforgiveable and unconscionable for you EVER to drink again in any amounts and drive a car again. That's why I worry if there is an addiction problem here, or just lack of moral sense.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I'm sure tolerances for alcohol are different for everyone, but I'm honestly curious what would two beers do to the average guy?
    Look, the ole' lady is out of sight right now so I can say this ... 2 40s is just getting started ... she is such a bad cook that you have to use beer in your cereal in the morning just to make sure you don't puke on curdled milk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast