RamWraith is offline Registered User

ESPN's Tip Sheet on Bruce

ESPN TIPSHEET

Cornerbacks who have faced Isaac Bruce of the Rams this season contend the 11th-year veteran, who turns 32 next month, is quicker in and out of cuts than he has been the past couple of years. Certainly the numbers indicate that might be the case. Bruce is second in the NFL in catches (38) and receiving yards (526) and is taking full advantage of the attention secondaries have paid to Torry Holt, who most observers felt had surpassed him the last few seasons. "I'm not saying his speed was down the last few years, (because) that would be ridiculous given the numbers he put up, but he looks really explosive now," said Seattle cornerback Bobby Taylor.

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: ESPN's Tip Sheet on Bruce

Martz seems to be using him predominently as a possession type receiver. Set the Db up then let's see some deeper routes for Bruce !!!!
    First play in the Rams/vikings playoff game. Post pattern up the middle, Bruce catches it in stride.... TOUCHDOWN..... RAMS !!!!!

Maineram :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

viper is offline Registered User

I'd like to see more post patterns throughout every game. We've become more of a crossing pattern team the last couple years. We don't yield many yards after the catch anymore. MacDonald's last play of the Seattle game was a perfect example of something that's been missing in our offensive scheme IMO.

Go Rams!!!

general counsel Guest

We can throw deep if we can do two things effectively: Protect and run the ball to set up the play action.

general counsel

viper is offline Registered User

I guess the next question is can Bulger throw the deep ball consistently. He seems to underthrow our receivers on deep patterns quite often. I bet if they worked on it in practice they could get it down.

With the speed of MacDonald and Curtis the opportunity is there IMO.

Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by viper; -10-15-2004 at 10:44 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He showed last weekend that he can physically do it. The question is, as viper pointed out, can he do it consistently.

Although, IMO, defenses are playing so many deep zones that I question whether or not the Rams would really see many deep looks, even if they do start running more posts and fly patterns. The nickel cornerback is almost a starting defensive position in today's defenses.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Isaac Bruce is my hero. He continues to perform well year after year and would've cracked 1,000 yards last year had he not missed time with injuries.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I honestly believe that Ike has not slowed down one bit. He's always been my favorite Ram, and can still bring it with the best of 'em. I wear jersey #80 with pride every week. Long live Isaac Bruce.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Its not that Bruce ever slowed down and then all of sudden sped back up. Its just that he is no longer getting held at the beginning of the play.
    Sprtsmac :football:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler

Although, IMO, defenses are playing so many deep zones that I question whether or not the Rams would really see many deep looks, even if they do start running more posts and fly patterns. The nickel cornerback is almost a starting defensive position in today's defenses.
    Ah, young Nick has again hit on a very pertinent point here. The standard 4-3 defense is no longer the standard 4-3. These days (thanks to teams like the Rams, Colts & Vikings), the 4-3 has become the 4-2. Unless a defense has a LB with wheels to burn and good coverage skills, a 5th DB will see a lot of playing time. The obvious answer to this shift is to run the ball more with a quick power runner, like say, Oh, I don't know, maybe.....Steven Jackson. Or even better go with the 2-back set and force the defense to respect the run.

Martz has to get those DBs on an island with Holt, Bruce, Curtis & McDonald. Good things will happen when he does so (See last play of Rams vs. Seahawks). And to do so, we have to run the ball. It looks like Martz is beginning to buy into it, and for that I applaude you Mike.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Hacksaw is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac
    Its not that Bruce ever slowed down and then all of sudden sped back up. Its just that he is no longer getting held at the beginning of the play.
    It's a distinct possiblity .

GO RAMS

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

First play in the Rams/vikings playoff game. Post pattern up the middle, Bruce catches it in stride.... TOUCHDOWN..... RAMS !!!!!
    That's the key, In stride. Haven't seen that in awhile.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey