Thread: The Eve

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Epilogue to the Eve

Now another Rams season has ended. Hopes, dreams and expectations of Rams fans have been fulfilled or dashed. For the Rams team, the burning of August has come to championship fruition or the bitter cold of winter is now a reality in the sense of goals not met.

The faces and names will change. The competitive juices will flow. Goals will once again be set. The burning in August will return. The Rams team will live on.

And what to become of the Rams fans....For them, it will begin again, of this, I am certain.

The fond memories, from the youth of a Rams fan, are my proof.

It is mid-november and the Rams are doing well. Life for a young Rams fan is good and football, the sport he loves, lives on.

The football uniform from the age of four no longer fits. The Tops football cards are in a shoe box. The years before becoming a part of a team count not. The burning sensation from the most recent August has long since passed.

A young Rams fan thinks not of these things, for now, they are tucked away as keepsakes. Years of practice and competing on the field of play would end here. The young Rams fan knows not of this. Certainly he would play football forever and the sport he loves will never die in his mind.

For him it is now the last of an eight game season. It is late in the game, his team will not win. All the team can do now is erase the goose egg on the scoreboard.

The young Rams fan is on the field, when the first string defense recovers a fumble, thirty yards from the opponents goal. He will never know why the coach calls for the second string offense and at this point he cares not.

He breaks the huddle with the team and gets set at his halfback position. His number has been called and he concentrates on the snap count. He is determined to take the handoff and hit the gap hard on the right side of big Jim.

The block that big Jim delivers opens a huge hole. The young Rams fan is quickly into the secondary. The goal line is ever so close and he knows he is going to cross it. Alas, a defender has other ideas and he tackles the young Rams fan just two yards shy of the goal line.

Time is now of the essence as the young Rams fan takes the huddle with his teammates. "Let's run it again" he says to the QB, for he knows he can score the touchdown behind the block of big Jim.

Big Jim agrees and the QB barks out "32 smash on two"

The young Rams fan and his teammates break the huddle. This will be the final play of the game and season. As he breaks out of his stance and takes the handoff, he sees a strong push by the goal line defense. On the right side of big Jim, the young Rams fan is small and quick enough to dive into a sliver of a hole.

At the end of the play, under a pile of bodies, lies a young Rams fan. For a moment, as the bodies begin to unpile, only he knows that the ball has came to rest one foot inside the opponents goal line. Amidst a loss on the seasons end the goose egg on the scoreboard is erased and a battle is won. It is a moment he will never forget.

Fond memories....

All Rams fans have and cherish them. They need only to call upon them to find their way back to the 'Eve'

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Epilogue to the Eve

Wow, a bard on the board!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Ferter, most excellent! :up:

sbramfan is offline Registered User

So wait, they lost?

Just a garbage time TD?

OK, sorry. I can't help myself. It actually was a great story.

I hope ferter went on to play baseball or something cuz apparently he was no Steven Jackson!

Did he get the girl or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Wow, a bard on the board!
    That too, among many other things.

Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Ferter, most excellent!
    Thank you RealRam!

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    OK, sorry. I can't help myself. It actually was a great story.
    Thank you sbramfan!

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    I hope ferter went on to play baseball or something cuz apparently he was no Steven Jackson!

Did he get the girl or anything?
    Patience is a virtue. The story consists of three parts and is not yet finished.

The story requires some thinking outside the box.

IF there are those who are having trouble thinking outside the box....

Let me give them a hint.....

My own experiences in life aside....The story is NOT about me.

It is about the love for the game of football.

My intent was to bring forth what I believe brings many football fans, specifically Rams fans, back to the start of every football season.

thoey is offline Registered User

Ferter, you and I have never had any problems before, BUT... If we had, after that, I think I would back down. If that was a 500 page novel, I would read it. Had my heart going. Not just cause it was RAMS. Just cause.

Very nice. Proud to consider you a fellow RAMS fan...
    This space for rent...

Prologue to the Eve

It's late August, it's very hot, and it's the final practice before the coaches announce the first string offense and defense. This is the eve of another football season for a young Rams fan.

The heat is almost unbearable. His head is burning inside of the helmet. Beads of sweat sting the eyes. He reaches inside for that innate, competitive fire that exists in all athletes. Endure the pain, ignore the sting of sweat from the hot August sun, concentrate at the CB position.

He senses and reads pass at the snap of the ball. He backpedals hard in front of a fast charging receiver. A quarter turn now, running hard but still reading the QB's eyes. The QB is telegraphing today. It's the same crossing pattern he got beat on yesterday. The pass sails towards the receiver he is covering. Run hard to the ball. There it is, today it's a pick for the young Rams fan. The defensive coach voices his pleasure. The young Rams fan hopes it will be enough to secure his goal of making the first string defense at the CB position.

Practice ends with an upbeat tone. His team takes a short bus ride from their school to the practice field. Waiting, in anticipation, for the first string announcements, it will be a long ride back to the school, in that hot yellow bus.

Sitting on the bus, amongst the chatter of teammates, the mind of a young Rams fan begins to wander. Thoughts stray not far, from the sport he loves, they simply reflect to an earlier time.

A young Rams fans, with a shiny new football helmet, a numbered jersey and a pigskin tucked in his arm, runs in the grass of the backyard, under the watchful eyes of admiring parents. This is four years from the day of his birth and he could not wait to go outside with the gifts he received from his grandfather.

Thoughts move forward to football games, played in the backyards with other kids, during the years before becoming part of a team. A smile comes to his face. Children at play, God knows, those were great games.

For as long as he could remember he had loved football and his heroes of the gridiron played for the Los Angeles Rams. He was born a Rams fan and often dreamed of donning the horns one day.

During those years, leading up to every football seasons eve, he, like many other young football fans, collected Tops football cards. He remembers tearing open the packages of cards and quickly thumbing through them to see how many were of Rams players. Only the cards themselves outlasted the great tasting bubble gum that came with every pack. As is the case, with every seasons eve, school days would start soon and trading cards, with kids who were fans of other teams, was essential in acquiring every Rams player.

The hot yellow bus has arrived at the school. The coach yells out for everyone to shower up and then come into the gym. The names and positions of the first string offense and defense will be posted on the chalk board.

A young Rams fan quickly showers and heads for the gym to read the names posted on the board....

His heart is racing with excitement as he spots his name among the first string defense at the CB position. An emotional joy overcomes him. Oh how he loves football.

Fond memories....

They lead a Rams fan back to the 'Eve' of every football season.
    Last edited by Curly Horns; -08-29-2005 at 04:45 PM.

The Eve

A Rams fan finds his way back to the eve of another football season. Logic be damned, for at this point in time, he is again confident it will be a Rams Lombardi season. It is nothing new, he feels this way, at the eve of every Rams season.

He is certain there are fans that will chuckle at his thought of a Lombardi season for the Rams. He is aware, he knows the odds, he stays informed and he reads the pessimism from some at the Clan of Rams fans. He takes solace with the thought, that on the other side of this glumness, there are Rams fans who share his optimism at the eve of another season.

Football coaches preach at their players to move forward, don't look back, go on to the next play, on to the next game. An optimistitic outlook indeed, yet somewhat ironic. Memories bring forth lessons learned and they often allow us to move forward in a positive and constructive manner.

Rams fans should look back - they need to look back - they need to remember.

Fond memories, of the sport we love and from Rams seasons afar, not only lead us back to the eve, they instill a sanguine outlook. We need only to call upon these memories, from a season not too far removed, in order to justify a spirited outlook at the eve of every season.

We all remember it well. After a decade of Rams futility, and seemingly out of nowhere, a Rams Lombardi season was born. An offensive juggernaut, dubbed the greatest show on turf, and a stingy defense took the NFL by surprise on their way to the Lombardi podium.

We remember the stars, the plays, the battles won and lost throughtout that season. We remember the playoffs and the long overdue payback delivered to the Vikings. We remember the close fought battle and 'The Catch' against the Bucs. At the end, we remember 'The Tackle' and the celebration that followed.

These memories have taught us that magical seasons can and do happen.

For those who remember the eve of a distant Rams Lombardi season the sweet taste of the end will never fade.

Fond memories....

They lead a Rams fan from The End and back to The Eve.
    Last edited by Curly Horns; -08-29-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Ferter, you and I have never had any problems before, BUT... If we had, after that, I think I would back down. If that was a 500 page novel, I would read it. Had my heart going. Not just cause it was RAMS. Just cause.

Very nice. Proud to consider you a fellow RAMS fan...
    Thanks Thoey !!

I enjoy putting my thoughts into words, but I am by no means a writer.

Hearing that you and others enjoyed the story makes it worth the effort.

The story is now finished and I have added the other two parts to this thread.

I hope every Rams fan enjoys the entire upcoming season.

GO RAMS!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Eve

Nicely done, Ferter. :up:

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am impressed ferter.... those creative writing classes are really paying off ....

Are you ready for some football???
    :football:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Nicely done, Ferter. :up:
    Coming from the best creative writer at ClanRam, that means a lot to me

Thank you, Avenger !!

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    I am impressed ferter.... those creative writing classes are really paying off ....

Are you ready for some football???
    Thank you, Blitz !!

Creative writing classes? Hmmm....I have been meaning to get to those. Maybe I can squeeze them in after I finish my NEC update classes....lol

And....Hell yeah I'm ready for some football....

RAMS FOOTBALL !!

LETS GO RAMS

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Amazing Ferter. I have never really cried at something I had read untill I read that post. Simply OUTSTANDING! Damn you Ferter!!!! Your making me look like my grandfather when she gets all emotional about something. In all seriousness though, that was very nicely written. As always...

GO RAMS!!!

Chiledog is offline Registered User

Where were you when I was looking for help writing college term papers? Great work, Fert. You never cease to amaze me!

-
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers