View Poll Results: Which of the following describes the Rams' St. Louis fan base?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diehard, loyal and passionate fan base.

3 7.32%
  • Small diehard core "supported" by a lot of casual, fair weather fans.

10 24.39%
  • As loyal and passionate as can be expected given recent years of futility.

15 36.59%
  • Fair weather, bandwaggon, knee-jerk fan base.

1 2.44%
  • Apathetic casual fan base that would rather be at a baseball game.

6 14.63%
  • Pretty average compared to other NFL cities.

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: An even more divisive, provocative and controversial poll!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

An even more divisive, provocative and controversial poll!

Okay... this time I (think that I) really mean it!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: An even more divisive, provocative and controversial poll!

I can't see any poll options.

My vote is for 'yes'. This is definitely a divisive issue.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Difficult for me to gauge these questions, because Ive never been to St.Louis. But looking in from afar, I can't help but notice the difference in support, the other franchises get. The Kansas City Chiefs comes to mind. I know I went in a little two footed on the last poll. But, Im just saying it as I see it, St.Louis fans.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

During the GSOT, the Dome was a hard place for visiting teams. The fans were great back then. But they had two things that are no longer present: 1) a winning team, and 2) a robust local economy.

The St. Louis metro area has been hit hard by the recession, and the local/state government has had their head in the sand while industry in the area has gone downhill. Couple that with the Greek tragedy that happens every Sunday at the ED, and it makes for smaller crowds.

I'm still disappointed in the St. Louis fanbase for the lack of numbers, just as the LA fanbase should be disappointed in their low numbers throughout the 80's and 90's. But I can say I understand why this economy has kept some out.

Ultimately, my answer is this is about what should be expected with the recent history of futility (both on the field and off the field).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    During the GSOT, the Dome was a hard place for visiting teams. The fans were great back then. But they had two things that are no longer present: 1) a winning team, and 2) a robust local economy.

The St. Louis metro area has been hit hard by the recession, and the local/state government has had their head in the sand while industry in the area has gone downhill. Couple that with the Greek tragedy that happens every Sunday at the ED, and it makes for smaller crowds.

I'm still disappointed in the St. Louis fanbase for the lack of numbers, just as the LA fanbase should be disappointed in their low numbers throughout the 80's and 90's. But I can say I understand why this economy has kept some out.

Ultimately, my answer is this is about what should be expected with the recent history of futility (both on the field and off the field).
    Agreed.

There will always be a small group of die-hards but the casual fan isnt going to spend money on a team that is as awful as the Rams the last 10 years.

Theres not much history at STL with the Rams either, other than the couple years of the GSOT.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think you can count on one hand the number of NFL cities that pack their stadium regardless of the team's success or failure. The shame of it is that the Rams had an opportunity to really build something with the GSOT years, but lacked the ability to retool the roster to sustain the success that was achieved.

That said, my observation is that, beyond the true diehards, there is a segment of the fan base that is just itching to come back into the fold. All they need is some hope. You saw that at the start of this season with the optimism generated by Sam Bradford's rookie campaign and the increase from 1 win in 2009 to 7 in 2010. Unfortunately, by the middle of this season, despair had returned, and the fan base reacted as would be expected.

With Jeff Fisher coming in and, hopefully, an intriguing group of new players from FA and the draft, the Rams have an opportunity to recapture the fan base in 2012. There will be a buzz on opening day. However, only wins will keep that buzz going and allow it to grow.
    KoaKoi likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

I was in LA for those lousy 90's era teams. I was was able to get free tickets to a ton of games because people were giving them away left and right. So I would suspect it's the same case in St. Louis. If you field a good team they will come as they do for their baseball team.

They have pro baseball, football and hockey so we're talking about a savy sports town ready to support a solid franchise. The last number of years have been a major dissappointment as far as the Rams are concerned so I don't see how anybody can call those fans fair weather fans because they won't support a lousy product. St. Louis sports fans have choices like LA, NY and Chicago do. Dodger Stadium was a ghost town last season as an example. If you give the fans of St. Louis something they can get behind they will show up.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    With Jeff Fisher coming in and, hopefully, an intriguing group of new players from FA and the draft, the Rams have an opportunity to recapture the fan base in 2012. There will be a buzz on opening day. However, only wins will keep that buzz going and allow it to grow.
    The Fisher hiring was huge in multiple ways, especially the fan base.

You have to respect Kroenke for getting the top dog and paying him around 7 million a year to go along with the experienced coaching staff hes starting to round off.

I think a lot of casual fans around STL are loving this news.

The Rams just need to be competitive. We need more than 1,2, or 3 wins a season.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I misread the question, I thought it was asking what kind of Fan are you? And I picked die hard. But I just re-read the question and would have to say "As loyal and passionate as can be expected given recent years of futility." That and the other top choice pretty much make sense

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I will abstain from voting since I don't think it is correct for me to judge the overall fan base of St. Louis as I ask the same of others when it comes to judging the fans in LA.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

another beat around the bush poll. just come out with it, la do you respect st. louie and st. louis do you respect la. whatever the case it isn't going to mount to anything if the rams move or if they stay. i could care less. as i mentioned previously ALL I WANT IS A WINNER!!!
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I agree with MoonJoe, it is not my place to judge the St. Louis fanbase, since I've never been there.

Just as I wouldn't like to be judged by people who's only knowledge of LA is an often inaccurate, media driven, farce.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I wish this was an open poll, so I could see who checked #5. That way I would know who to add to my ignore posts list. The only reason to select that option is to get a rise out of the St. Louis fans that read this board.

Of course, they could have checked that out of guilt because they're part of the "Apathetic casual fan base that" allowed the RAMS to leave LA by not attending games nor supporting "their" team.

gap

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Several of these probably would be fair statements. The St. Louis Cardinals have been in town since 1882, which is to say that they got a 113 year head start toward building a fanbase. They've been to the World Series three times in the last eight seasons and won on two of those occasions.

Meanwhile, the St. Louis Rams have posted 4 winning seasons, 2 .500 seasons, and 11 losing seasons since they arrived. We did win a Super Bowl after the move, but the last time we even made it into the playoffs was eight seasons ago. If the team's record wasn't bad enough, the fans have had to put up with ownership that wouldn't spend and incessant rumors that the team could pick up and leave at any time.

Of course it's not going to be the Dawg Pound.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I live about 250 miles from St. Louis - smack dab in the middle of Chiefs, Cowboys, and (______insert team name here) country. Every store you go to has Chiefs, Cowboys, and even Faiders stuff, and of course, St. Louis Cardinals merchandise everywhere...but two Missouri teams are ALWAYS missing from the shelves - the KC Royals and the St. Louis Rams.

Does this mean there is an apathetic fan base? NO.

Just last night, I was on a date with a woman who is a (gag) cowboys fan. We went to a nightclub to kick back and listen to the band, and we had only been there about 5 minutes when a couple came over to our table. It seems they saw my Rams jacket, and wanted to talk about the Rams! I looked around, there was about a dozen people besides that couple and myself who were wearing clothing with Rams logos! Over the next hour, two more couples joined us and we were talking about how the hiring of Fisher was a great thing for the Rams, how things were looking up for the team, how we all couldn't wait until next season to go see a game at the dome...

That was only one of several conversations I have recently had with Rams fans. Yes, all of us around here are disappointed and disgusted with the way things have gone over the past few years. One thing that I must say - EVERYONE I have discussed the Rams with since Fisher was hired is EXCITED for next season. It seems everyone is keeping their expectations realistic; yes, we're all optimistic, but when people are pumped up about a possible 8-8 season next year, you sure as heck can't call them apathetic or band-wagon fans!

The best analogy I can use is this: Imagine that you're a Garth Brooks fan, and he was coming to your town for 8 shows over the next 3 months. After the opening night show, they announce that he has lost his voice, but will perform anyway. Would you spend your money to go see him stand on the stage and not sing, or would you wait until his voice returned and he could sing again?

Well, the Rams just couldn't show up on stage and perform the past few seasons. Now, it looks like they are getting ready to put on a show that will rock the dome in 2012! Av, you better start working on tickets for the next bash - they're going to be hard to get!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast