Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Eventually, some of the "experts" will adopt the Rams.

Right now, in any "power ranking" or other type of projection regarding the 2009 season, the "experts" will presume the Rams are going to once again be among the league's doormats. And why not? The Rams have won a total of 5 games in the last two years. They've lost two of their veteran leaders. They (as the Bloggers will tell you) simply have too many holes to fill to really turn things around.

That's what they'll tell you today.

The thing is, "experts" truly hate one thing: conformity with other "experts." Look at the mock drafts. We're already seeing "experts" come out with some odd ideas of who's going to go where. Why? Because they want their mocks to look different from all the other "experts" mocks. Each "expert" wants to be the one who can say, "you heard it here first!"

After the draft is over, the "second wave" of free agency is complete, and teams start gearing up for training camp, the "experts" will get busy making their projections for 2009. As with mock drafts, these projections will start as fairly homogenous products: most 2008 playoff teams will be good again; most bad teams will still be bad.

Then, two things will happen. First, as with the mock drafts, the "experts" will notice that their projections look a lot like the other "experts" projections. This simply will not do. Second, they'll remember the Dolphins and the Falcons from 2008, and develop a burning desire to be the one and only "expert" to pick the next team that will rise from the ashes.

Some might go with Seattle. After all, they still have a lot of the players who were there when they were winning, and they've made a couple of nice pickups. Others might go with Kansas City, with their shiny new QB and their aspirations to be the Patriots-West.

A few, though, will turn their eyes toward the Rams. They'll say... Spagnuolo - now there's a winner - he'll turn them around. They'll predict healthy, productive seasons from Bulger and Jackson. They'll see great things from second year players like Long and Avery, and say what a great draft the Rams had. A few, just to be different from other "experts," will adopt the Rams.

My advise... don't listen to any of them. The ones who will predict that the Rams will have the first pick in the 2010 draft are just as full of crap as the ones who will compare the Rams to the 2008 Dolphins or Falcons. Most of them know less about the team than we do. They are prognosticating for effect, not because they actually know something we don't.

Make up your own mind. If you think that the Rams will improve significantly, say so. Don't worry about what some hack with a press pass says. If you think it will be another long year, don't back down from those thoughts merely because John Clayton or Chris Mortenson lists the Rams as a "team to watch" in August.

Right now, I think the Rams are moving in the right direction.

And remember... you heard it here first!

tdog08 is offline Registered User

Re: Eventually, some of the "experts" will adopt the Rams.

Espn said we would win the divsion last year on NFL LIVE

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Well I don't waffle so I'll say it again:

5-11 (6-10 at best)

And you heard it here first(lol)!

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

I see our rebuilding process taking maybe even more than three years. A complete overhall is not done overnight.
    We have started down the rebuilding road. Chip hiring Billy D. and Steve S. was placing a hugh cornerstone in the Rams new foundation
    Right off these two brilliant football men(something that the Rams have not had in a long time started the rebuilding process by resigning Ron Bartel, then they started signing quality free agency players. Giant players from the Giants are signing with the Rams because they want to play for Spags. That has to indicate something about this new Rams Coach

Looking ahead to the draft,; for me, there is an excitement that I have NOT felt in a long time. The Rams are definately on the right road to coming back to the playoffs and the Super Bowl, but the playoffs and the superbowl will not happen for us in 2009
    However, we most definately are on the road back and I truely believe we can be a 6-10 or even 7-9 team in 2009, and thatis a real improvement over the 2008 season

So now, what say you?????????????????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

say "experts" 3 times really fast!!

nobody can really count ANYBODY out, look at our '99 season..look at the cards' last season..(oh but some "experts" will say it was warner) this is the game of ANY GiVEN SUNDAY..in one year, nothing can happen, or, anything can happen..
    the experts can kiss my smart a**..

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Playoffs.
    You heard it here first.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i agree with the comment from Av about most fans knowing more about our team needs ( aslong as you not one of those fans who think your team no matter how they actually play are the best and everyone else suck)
    for example i havent seen much from the "experts" about us needing a SAM and the need at CB has been overhyped by some of these guys saying we need D.J Moore in the early second and i dont see any of them even mentioning what people like Burton & King MIGHT bring to the table.

im not gonna say what sort of record we`ll get next season,how long it takes to turn us into a play-offs team again...theres far too many things that we dont know at this point to give anything like a clear reading...none of us know how our opposition are gonna turn out and thats something that doesnt seem to have been mentioned across the board.
    we can look at the schedule now (of what teams we playing atleast) and like every year in the NFL there will be plenty of teams who dont play to their "Par"..some below,some above..
    we could end up improving immensely(sic?) and still only get an extra win or two or we could get only slightly better and win 8 or 9..wins depends on how teams match up against the other on the day..theres nothing at this point that can gage whats gonna occur next year!

what im trying to say is..we could look at our results last year and although we were indeed blown out in some..we were also close in a few so we could have the mindset that if we just improve a lil then we could get double,treble and so on amount of wins than from last year..afterall weve got Spags etc..running the ship now...
    but other teams have made moves too,some may turn out to be good,some may turn out to be bad..other teams who had better records than us may have made more big money signings but splashing the cash doesnt mean they gonna have better players. whose to say it aint other teams turn now to blow cap space on F.A busts like we have done in the past...it wasnt really that long ago that teams in the entire NFL feared us,then bad moves by us,the rest improved..it can all level itself out pretty quickly.

at this point no one knows whose gonna be hot or cold. in the fall and winter....i think either way last season has very little to do with next year..there has been huge change in HC`s throughout the NFL player overhauls galore,not just us!
    lets just see how the chips fall...take each game as they come to us.. just enjoy football in its purity again without worrying about what decisions are gonna be made..its gonna seem overwhelming to the average fan,but Billy D and the extensive collection of good football people now at the helm are paid to do this work...the collection of dark clouds that have been over our heads for the past 6 years (well since long before that in the case of Shaw & Zygmunt) have now been shifted the sky is clear now..there may lay storms ahead,there may be sunshine whose to say...isnt it exciting tho..the unknown???

anyway..ive gone over 30 hours without sleep and gonna hit the sack now..hope i dont wake up tomorrow and discover ive written loads of gibberish..
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-27-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

the Cardinals have been the adopted team from just about every "expert" from here to Nantucket for the best part of the last decade. Every year there are one or two teams billed as 'surprise picks', obviously because the franchise appears to be headed in the right direction and they could make some noise with solid play grounded in a team first mentality. If it's not the Rams this season, I would not be surprised to see us as a 'surprise' candidate with a few wins under our belts going into 2010 in the eyes of many experts.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

R A M S

R is for resilient. I never want to hear that gasbag Goose Whatsit reporting that the Rams look flat/defeated before halftime again.I think it can be done.

A is for appreciative. Although I don't have the opportunity to attend home games, I hate to hear how out of date/dilapidated The ED is for fans. Show pride in the product,the history, and the fans.And we have possibly the worst website in the NFL. Fix it,Chip.

M is for Meritocratic. From the behavior of players to the performance of everyone on the payroll, let The Rams be the envy of the NFL in the way they reward loyalty and commitment to the highest standards.

S is for synchronous. Pretty funny when you think about the quintessential Ram image of two bighorns slamming their heads together in light of our recent past. A vertical game with no deep threats. A power running game with a small line and no FB. A blitzing defensive scheme that never gets to the QB. Square pegs,round holes.

I have high hopes that we are on the road to making those terms fit the RAMS 2009 and beyond. How long it takes to get to wins , as others above have so eloquently described, is hazy.

But I like the scenery on the DeSpags road so far. If the limited visibility and gradient keep the traffic light for a while, I'm cool with that. Roll down the windows, crank up the tunes & enjoy the ride. If the "experts" and impatient fair weather fans want to stick to the easy road to Patsyland, Dallas, or Whinerville....

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I genuinely believe there's going to be a big difference in the culture here in St. Louis. I'm not going to say we're going to the playoffs or we will only win a game. All I know is that I think we have some quality people running the show now and I've been impressed with the signings we've had. I personally believe that this team is flat out unpredictable. We have so much youth, we have no idea who's going to emerge as a new leader for the team. As a Ram fan, I think this is going to be an exciting season for us, regardless of wins...As long as I'm seeing a different team playing (and I think you all know what I'm talking about), a team with heart and compassion, I'll be very happy. I just have a good feeling about the big changes that were made...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post

anyway..ive gone over 30 hours without sleep and gonna hit the sack now..hope i dont wake up tomorrow and discover ive written loads of gibberish..
    That never stops me.....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Nobody...remotely CLOSE to being an "expert" on the NFL...will "adopt" the Rams this year. Not gonna happen.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

A-Web is offline Registered User

In the end, results are all that matter to people. The guesses don't matter, and the predictions matter none. All that matters is results. The effort a team puts forth, and the individuals will matter for naught. All that matters is results.

This is the problem with society, and this is the reason the Rams will not be forcast in the same light as the Falcons and Dolphins had. When you get to your Fantasy draft this coming year, and you see Donnie Avery up there, you aren't going to take him. And if you can't take him, which receiver can you? (None). When you get to the Fantasy draft, and you have Adrian Peterson, Brandon Jacobs, Michael turner up there with Steven Jackson, would you really be the one to trust Steven "The Walking Wounded" Jackson with winning your Fantasy season? No (most likely not anyways).

So where does this put you? With the rest of the world and "experts." They will not give the Rams the second guess. What Rams player can you actually expect to be picked in Fantasy at all? Aside from a kicker "which is a crapshoot anyways", there really is no one that would be in the "Ideal" fantasy lineup. Yes some people will pick Jackson in their teams, but he will not be the first runningback taken, unless someone is just randomly bias towards him, and doesn't actually pay attention to overall production.

So basically, I think we're all similar. They are our team, and we want them to win. We will try to use logic to prove we will be successful, but in the end, do you really picture it happening? Maybe you can, maybe you can't. But the fact is, probability is against us at this point, and there is a lot of work to be done.

I think we can have a decent season, but that doesn't mean that I think we have great odds of doing it. Just that I think we can.

How do you feel about that?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The thought that we are going in the right direction with football people making the decisions is a genuine hope that we can show some real improvement. The notion that anyone can predict how the season will unfold now is ludicrous, so I agree with AV on that point. But even when the draft and the "second wave" of free agency concludes as an indicator is still pointless. The only way to forecast the future is to see "game-type action". That means Training Camp and pre-season games. I say this because that is when we evaluate how the players will mesh. Football, perhaps more than any other team sport is dependent on the players working together and anticipating each other.

I think we have a great start with Spagnuolo who "gets it". He wove the Giants from a good defensive unit into a Super Bowl Champion. I am eagerly awaiting to see how he molds our defensive players into a solid unit. Our offense will also need time to mesh as Jason Brown will likely emerge as the OL Leader we've been lacking the past few years.

Overall, the future is bright and the draft is going to be an exciting one as we finally have some people who know what they're doing at the controls.

Go Rams!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Nobody...remotely CLOSE to being an "expert" on the NFL...will "adopt" the Rams this year. Not gonna happen.
    Wanna bet? (Trust me, you don't)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast