Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: "Everyone deserves a second chance" is a dishonest platitude

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

"Everyone deserves a second chance" is a dishonest platitude

Often times, when fans and commentators discuss players with "troubled pasts," they quip that "everyone deserves a second chance."

No, they don't.

People should aspire to be forgiving. It is admirable to try to lift up those who have fallen. I'm not arguing with these principles.

But the idea that someone who screws up nonetheless "deserves" a second chance... I just don't subscribe to that notion.

In the context of NFL players, my reasoning is easily quantifiable. There are only so many roster spots in the NFL, and there are hundreds of players who would do anything to acquire one of those spots. Given that fact, how can a player who had transgressed "deserve" a second chance when it is inevitable that another player who has conducted himself in the right way will thereby be displaced?

Using a specific example... why should a guy like Vontaze Burfict have the chance to displace a guy who played by the rules and gave his full effort at all times?

Truth is, the reason that players get a "second chance" is talent. If a player has talent, he will be given opportunities that a less talented player won't be given.

The hypocricy is when people refuse to admit that fact and, instead, resort to platitudes about "everyone deserving a second chance." Framing the subject in that manner makes it sound noble to draft or sign a player who has transgressed.

Nobility has nothing to do with it. Teams seek talented players who can help the team. As long at the transgressions don't impede the player on the field, teams will overlook them.

So, as Rams fans, if we are to accept a player like Janoris Jenkins into the fold, it is because we believe he has talent and can help the team, and we hope that he's learned from his past.

But, make no mistake.... he didn't "deserve" to be drafted. Just like the other 252 guys selected, he was lucky to be among a select and privileged few.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: "Everyone deserves a second chance" is a dishonest platitude

I couldnt disagree more with the statement that he didnt deserve to be drafted? He has talent and from what i have read he didnt do anything last season to disrupt his team or himself. I agree that not everyone deseves a second chance like murderers, rapists, and molesters. However in all walks of life people are given second and even third chances. So you are right not everyone deserves a second chance but Jenkins deserved to be drafted because he has talent and is getting his second chance.

His last run in with the law was in April of 2011 for posession of mary jane. Something a "high" percentage of all college students could be cited with at one time during their college lives.

In my opinion people do deserve a second chance rather then being just cast off from society. Man what would we do with the millions of people if they didnt deserve a second chance? So you are right not everyone deserve a second chance but it sounds better than saying everyone but murders,rapists and molesters etc. deserve a second chance.
    Just Fix It

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    His last run in with the law was in April of 2011 for posession of mary jane. Something a "high" percentage of all college students could be cited with at one time during their college lives.
    So why didn't those mentioned college students, all deserving of a 2nd chance, get drafted last weekend? Why did Jenkins get his 2nd chance, and they didn't?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I couldnt disagree more with the statement that he didnt deserve to be drafted?
    That's not what I said. What I said is that he was drafted because of his talent, not because people inherently deserve second chances.

In my opinion people do deserve a second chance rather then being just cast off from society.
    I wouldn't equate being denied the privilege to play in the NFL with being "cast off from society."

Man what would we do with the millions of people if they didnt deserve a second chance?
    I guess those millions of people would have to go out and earn their keep, rather than relying on the forgiveness of strangers.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's not what I said. What I said is that he was drafted because of his talent, not because people inherently deserve second chances.

I wouldn't equate being denied the privilege to play in the NFL with being "cast off from society."

I guess those millions of people would have to go out and earn their keep, rather than relying on the forgiveness of strangers.
    Well i think Jenkins is going to have to earn his second chance. So should we then change the saying to everyone deserves a chance to earn a second chance? So someone is going to give him a chance since they felt he earned that chance and it happened to be Fisher. As far as being cast off from society what about your everyday Joe that isnt and NFL player do we cast them off?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubison

why didn't those mentioned college students, all deserving of a 2nd chance, get drafted last weekend? Why did Jenkins get his 2nd chance, and they didn't?.
    They probably all went on to become doctors and lawyers.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    They probably all went on to become doctors and lawyers.
    Well, that would explain my botched vasectomy.
    MoonJoe, MauiRam and rammiser like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thermobee is offline Registered User

Oh come on... maybe its because Im Canadian, but give me a break. Ill be the first one to admit that the multiple wifes and kids is not cool but some pot? What college student didnt do pot? Id be more worried that the person is weird if they havent tried alcohol or pot in college. As far as Im concerned he has a clean slate until he proves he doesnt deserve. The difference between this year and last is that Fisher can deal with this things with authority. If he slacks and fails he is out period. Its that simple.
    rammiser and Tampa_Ram like this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I agree AV, not just on the fact he got another chance because of his talent, but also that their are offenses that are so bad that there should be no second chance, ever.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee
    What college student didnt do pot?
    To answer your question......the majority of them.

But, for the umpteenth time, the Jenkins situation has NOTHING to do with marijuana per se. It has EVERYTHING to do with his ability to make decisions that won't get him kicked off the field.

I couldn't care less that he smoke(s)d marijuana. What I care about is his willingness to throw away an opportunity because he, with intent, violated a rule. If he's done with it, great! If he's not, then #39 was a waste.

Is he Pac-Man? Or is he Pisa (lest we forget, he was a felon when we used a 2nd on him)?

Time will tell.
    rammiser likes this.

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

this is beyond ridiculous. sorry, but i bet if we took a poll of current NFL players and asked them if they have ever smoked pot on multiple occasions and they have kids, it would be well over 50% Yes.

Janoris may not be the best speaker. He may have smoked pot. He may have had a couple kids. However, Jeff Fisher speaks highly of him, and thats all i care about. Jenkins seems humbled and he even said being a Ram is an "Honor". Let the kid play and stop worrying about his past. He isnt going to be smoking weed while as a Ram. I think he has learned his lesson.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think in general, the American public is much more forgiving to our our athletes then we are for a regular person. We hold our "sports heros" in such high esteem, some folks seem to overlook their specific issues as long as their talent is to the level that helps the team win. I have seen the coddling to a gifted athlete down to high school levels. It does start early in our society. Does this put those highly rated kids into a "can't touch me" mentality therefore they expect their transgression will be smoothed over? Lawrence Phillips is a great example of talent and transgressions with talent winning out mulitiple times.

Having said that, I profess to knowing really nothing about Jenkins other then what I have read. But I do agree that second chances to loser athletes based on their talent does get long in the tooth for me. I am just not sure Jenkins falls into this category.
    shower beers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFoster View Post
    this is beyond ridiculous. sorry, but i bet if we took a poll of current NFL players and asked them if they have ever smoked pot on multiple occasions and they have kids, it would be well over 50% Yes.
    This thread is not about how many kids have smoked pot.

Janoris may not be the best speaker.
    This thread is not about how good a speaker Janoris Jenkins is.

He may have smoked pot. He may have had a couple kids.
    Actually, there's no "may have." He did. But, again, that's not what this thread is about.

However, Jeff Fisher speaks highly of him, and thats all i care about. Jenkins seems humbled and he even said being a Ram is an "Honor". Let the kid play and stop worrying about his past. He isnt going to be smoking weed while as a Ram. I think he has learned his lesson.
    You really didn't get the point of this thread, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I think in general, the American public is much more forgiving to our our athletes then we are for a regular person. We hold our "sports heros" in such high esteem, some folks seem to overlook their specific issues as long as their talent is to the level that helps the team win. I have seen the coddling to a gifted athlete down to high school levels. It does start early in our society. Does this put those highly rated kids into a "can't touch me" mentality therefore they expect their transgression will be smoothed over? Lawrence Phillips is a great example of talent and transgressions with talent winning out mulitiple times.

Having said that, I profess to knowing really nothing about Jenkins other then what I have read. But I do agree that second chances to loser athletes based on their talent does get long in the tooth for me. I am just not sure Jenkins falls into this category.
    Good response.

I don't know what category Jenkins falls in either. I do think he's fortunate that he was afforded the opportunity to go to Northern Alabama and keep his college career on track. Now, its up to him.

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

lol. thanks for the "shout-out"

my point was that there is no 2nd chance in Janoris' case. this is his 1st chance. he hasnt even taken the field yet and youre already saying he should feel lucky that Fisher is giving him a 2nd chance.....its ridiculous man. let him prove that the draft pick was legit before you go off saying that his 2nd chance was given to him based on talent alone

at some point the need for thread views needs to stop. stop posting controversy and be happy we got a 1st round talent in the 2nd round

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFoster View Post
    lol. thanks for the "shout-out"

my point was that there is no 2nd chance in Janoris' case. this is his 1st chance. he hasnt even taken the field yet and youre already saying he should feel lucky that Fisher is giving him a 2nd chance.....its ridiculous man. let him prove that the draft pick was legit before you go off saying that his 2nd chance was given to him based on talent alone

at some point the need for thread views needs to stop. stop posting controversy and be happy we got a 1st round talent in the 2nd round
    I'd say his first chance was being recruited by UF and offered a scholarship. He squandered that, and was kicked off the team. That lead to his second chance with Northern Alabama, which lead him to the Rams.
    rammiser likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast