Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Evolution of the Rams helmet

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Evolution of the Rams helmet

Also forgot to mention that the Riddell 'Revolution ProLine' helmet model pictured in post #12 is currently being used by Sam Bradford, Jared Cook, Harvey Dahl, Jake McQuaide, Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, among others.

Another model which permits the placement of the full horn decal is the Riddell 'Revo Speed' model like the one TE Mike McNeill, et al wear.

These two designs allow for a full ram horn decal, no gaps for face mask hardware, just a couple of cutouts for chin straps. Other models allow a full horn but the face mask sides rest over part of the decal, on the small curl; or, separate the horn at that point (see Zuerlein and Quick's respective helmets at bottom).

Here they are again in authentic Riddell NFL replica minis...

Revolution ProLine

- -

Revo Speed

- -

ProLine

-

PS: Cook and McNeill's jersey numbers were different during TC.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-09-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: McNeill

Alright, bye week time! Opportunity to review and begin the final[?] chapter to this thread of how the Rams helmet has evolutionized since it became the first in the NFL to wear a logo, ca. 1948. BTW, Fred Gehrke, our illustrious Rams HB / DB and artist from 1946-48 was honored by the NFL HOF as follows...

In recognition of his Rams helmet design, the Pro Football Hall of Fame honored Gehrke in 1972 with the first Daniel F. Reeves Memorial Pioneer Award for a “significant, innovative contribution to professional football.”
    An innovation that changed forever collegiate football too -- everywhere American Football is played!

The Rams went from this...

HOF QB Norm Van Brocklin (Rams 1949-57, pictured below in TC with a '48 helmet and HB Glen Davis who played from 1950-51 but also pictured with an "old" '48 helmet at TC):

- -

Below, October 22, 1950: Rams 70 - Colts 27, correct score.
    Following week: Rams 65- Lions 24.

Those were Championship Rams teams. And that's Dick Hoerner (31), a big Rams running back at 6-4 220 lbs., played 1947-51. Notice long horn tip used during those years.

-- Image from the Rams thrashing of the Colts in 1950.

Eealy 1950-51, ram horn 'settles in':

Above, helmet used by HOF DE Andy Robustelli during his tenure with the Rams, 1951-55. Yellow paint was still used to join the horns at their broad roots over the center bump / seam. Clear rubber / plastic chin pads kept the lower part of the horn visible.

Early 50s - 1963, little or no change was made to the Rams helmet although the horn tip is reduced to end right above the ear hole. Yellow ink from the '58 program below shown below not correct:

- -

Exhibition game, 1954. On some helmets the root of the ram horns are not as close to each other anymore, i.e., there's helmet blue all the way down to the front edge between the horns:

Regular season game in November, 1954 -- LB/C Bob Griffin (58) and DB Will Sherman (43):

1960-62:

- - Jon Arnett (26) and OL Roy Hord (64).

1964 -- a significant and milestone uniform change begins for the L.A. Rams with their outstanding (IMO) Royal Blue and Victory White designed helmet. The root of the horns are clearly apart just outside of the center reinforcing bumper / seam. The uniform is essentially the same until '72 (narrower blue shoulder stripes of the home version) but the helmet remained the same. Below, HOF DT Merlin Olsen in 1971.

- -

1966-70 - During those five years the Rams defense was truly fearsome:

1969 - Rams went undefeated their first 11 games! So close...

- -

1973 -- Another radical uniform change enters. Royal blue helmet with gold yellow horns as well horns on sleeves, either blue or yellow for away and home, respectively. Below, a very fine Ram, Pro Bowl center Rich Saul, played his entire career with us from 1970-81

To this, including the SB XXXIV Championship and the glorious GSOT era:

Apparently nowadays the Rams are using horn decals in two types. One is the single, full horn decal for the Riddell Revolution and Proline models (see Bradford's helmet in previous post) and the other is the two-part decal type that is separated at the start of the horn's ending curl to accommodate some face mask hardware (e.g., Zuerlein and Quick, also in previous post).

James Hodgins, our FB from 1999-02 was the first NFL player to wear this Riddell Revolution gear.

- -

========================================================

This is why some Rams helmets now have a "leaner" horn appearance -- it is elongated in order to form a normal curl all the way below the ear hole*. I personally don't fancy this thinner horn, I prefer the somewhat shorter, fuller, stronger curl. Again, we are BIG horn Rams!

- -

========================================================

*.- Only the 1949 horn had the tip curl above the ear hole (see post #3).

PS: URL to the Hewitt's father & son Rams former equipment managers article. Copy and paste.

Helmethut.com/Talkhelmet/TalkHewitt.html

Below, the fuller 'bighorn' ram design. The one I like ... but new helmet shell shapes affect its curl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1964b.jpg   Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1967a.jpg   Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1968b.jpg   Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1974a.jpg   Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1981a.jpg  

Last edited by RealRam; -11-18-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Post #3

citr92 is offline Registered User

yea, didn't notice they were thinner, don't like it that much either...

still like the ridged horns the best

Largest helmet logo in the NFL?

Well, those unique Rams horns were the biggest until 1981, I believe, when the Bengals came out with their tiger stripes front to back, top to bottom.

Clic on images below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1948-78.jpg   Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1967c.jpg   Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-2009.jpg  

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

need to go back to a variation of this look

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    Need to go back to a variation of this [early 60s] look.
    Hmm, okay, perhaps. Myself, I like the horns to be 1.5" to 2" apart at the roots on the front edge of the helmet, as they've been since 1964 to this day.

Evolution of the Rams helmet-casco-ca.-1965b.jpg - Just my biased preference.

Clic on image above.

Last edited by RealRam; -05-28-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Horns separation, inches

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmm, okay, perhaps. Myself, I like the horns to be 1.5" to 2.5" apart at the roots on the front edge of the helmet, as they've been since 1964 to this day. Clic on image below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casco ca. 1965b.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	4206 - - Just my biased preference.

yes,..your measurements but the 64 colors is all I mean.

take a cue from Cleveland and KC and Indy and just keep it simple but the iconic helmet stays
    RealRam likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12