Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ex-Rams from 2012 Roster Not Faring Too Well

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Ex-Rams from 2012 Roster Not Faring Too Well

Those who oppose getting into a bidding war for FAs who are mid-level players, or players past their prime, have some good examples to cite to this year.

Last year, the Rams let four starters leave in free agency. Here is how they have fared:

Steven Jackson
    Jackson was a great Ram, but the concern was that he would hit the dreaded wall that many 30 year old RBs hit. So far, that concern seems to have been valid, as Jackson has managed to appear in only 3 games and carry the ball 25 times. Meanwhile, the Rams have found production from a low-priced rookie, Zac Stacy.

Danny Amendola
    The knock on Danny has been his ability to stay healthy. That problem has continued this year, as multiple injuries have limited him to 4 games. His production (19 receptions, 0 TDs) has been fairly minimal as well.

Craig Dahl
    Nobody was particularly unhappy to see Dahl go, and it seemed odd when the ***** pursued him as a free agent. He has not started a game this year, and has 8 tackles.

Brandon Gibson
    Brandon Gibson was having a decent year (30 receptions, 326 yards, 3 TDs) before tearing his patella tendon in Week 7. He is now on injured reserve and his future is a bit cloudy. Given that his FA contract with the Dolphins was fairly substantial (3 years, $9.7M), I think the Rams made the right call on Gibson (even if he had not been injured).

So, while hindsight is always 20/20, it does appear that the Rams made the right calls with respect to their 2012 free agents.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Ex-Rams from 2012 Roster Not Faring Too Well

It took a while for Stacy to find his stride, but it sure looks like he is an excellent low cost alternative to The Big Boy. Richardson did very little early in the season to make letting Jackson go appear to be a good move.

Jackson's injury, in my view, had nothing to do with his age. He has no history of being out like this, and the injury had nothing to do with wear and tear, just bad luck.

Meanwhile, my kids saw him trick or treating with his daughter last night. He apparantly lives around the corner from me here in Atlanta. Hope i bump into him in the hood!

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    eric2810 and mde8352gorams like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

We also let Bradley Fletcher go, who now appears to be starting for the Eagles, with 34 combined tackles and 1 interception.

While their defense has generally been regarded as pretty poor, the general consensus that I've seen is that he's a a great contributor for them, and they have much bigger problems than their corners.

He was one that I would have wanted to stick around, had we been able to keep him. He definitely wasn't in the plans though, as we saw Tru start to take his work away midway through the season. Some of his PI penalties were downright awful too, but it's hard for me to want any DB to walk since we usually need so many.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    We also let Bradley Fletcher go, who now appears to be starting for the Eagles, with 34 combined tackles and 1 interception.

While their defense has generally been regarded as pretty poor, the general consensus that I've seen is that he's a a great contributor for them, and they have much bigger problems than their corners.

He was one that I would have wanted to stick around, had we been able to keep him. He definitely wasn't in the plans though, as we saw Tru start to take his work away midway through the season. Some of his PI penalties were downright awful too, but it's hard for me to want any DB to walk since we usually need so many.
    In a way, Fletcher supports the "anti-FA" argument too, as we let him go in part because we spent big $ on Cortland Finnegan.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Always liked Bradley Fletcher. CBs are a position (like qb) where it's easy for fans to blast a player because when they blow an assignment, it's obvious to everyone. Still, Trumaine is better than Fletcher.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In a way, Fletcher supports the "anti-FA" argument too, as we let him go in part because we spent big $ on Cortland Finnegan.
    When you look at the early signing free agents on this roster, it's not a good track record after that initial year. You simply can't build a team using high priced free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    When you look at the early signing free agents on this roster, it's not a good track record after that initial year. You simply can't build a team using high priced free agents.
    Agreed. Look at Tampa. They've made a number of big splashes in FA in the last couple of years. Hasn't worked out too well, though.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Agreed. Look at Tampa. They've made a number of big splashes in FA in the last couple of years. Hasn't worked out too well, though.

Or the Redskins for the past how many years?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    It took a while for Stacy to find his stride, but it sure looks like he is an excellent low cost alternative to The Big Boy. Richardson did very little early in the season to make letting Jackson go appear to be a good move.

Jackson's injury, in my view, had nothing to do with his age. He has no history of being out like this, and the injury had nothing to do with wear and tear, just bad luck.

Meanwhile, my kids saw him trick or treating with his daughter last night. He apparantly lives around the corner from me here in Atlanta. Hope i bump into him in the hood!

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Agreed, his injury wasn't age related. I must admit that SJax did have a tendency to sustain soft tissue injuries that infringed on his playing time. The most memorable one was opening day vs the Eagles in 2008 when he ran for a TD then was out for the rest of the game.

Well now I know who to call when I need money, living in the same 'hood as a millionaire football player. Good for you man.

Go Rams!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I have to say we did OK with Jake Long and Jared Cook, thus far. Long, except for some bad penalties highlighted by the tripping one vs Carolina has been a upgrade over Saffold, to say nothing of Saffold's injury. And Jared Cook has had some flashes, but he'll be good for us either later this season or next. You can argue that we paid them too much money, but that's what it took to get them here. You can't fight the market.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Agreed, his injury wasn't age related.
    The injury might not have been age related, but recovery time is impacted by age.

In his last four years with the Rams, Jackson missed a total of 2 games. He's already missed 5 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I have to say we did OK with Jake Long and Jared Cook, thus far.
    1. If you'll read I said AFTER THE INITIAL YEAR. Your examples are 2 players still in their initial years.
    2. People keep bashing Austin for his lack of production yet Jared Cook is considered satisfactory production?

Jake Long is a solid player. At the price tag he needs to be going to a pro-bowl.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Jackson's "recovery time" has been impacted by reinjuring himself when he tried to come back too soon due to the problems the falcons were having.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Jackson's "recovery time" has been impacted by reinjuring himself when he tried to come back too soon due to the problems the falcons were having.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yep, was going to add that, he "re-tweaked" it according to ESPN when he tried coming back.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Dude...you should bake something and take it over as a "welcome to the neighborhood" deal. Also, be wearing your Rams gear...I'm sure he will appreciate it.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast