HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ex-Vike agrees to three-year contract

Ex-Vike agrees to three-year contract
    By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

For the second time in two days, the St. Louis Rams have addressed their linebacker corps, as they move toward a major overhaul of the unit for 2005.

Unrestricted free agent Chris Claiborne, who played the past two season for the Minnesota Vikings, agreed Thursday afternoon to a three-year contract, ESPN.com has learned. The addition of Claiborne, who will become the Rams' starting middle linebacker, follows the Wednesday acquisition of former Dallas star Dexter Coakley.

Claiborne will sign a three-year contract worth $10.5 million and the deal includes a $3.6 million signing bonus. In terms of annual salaries, Claiborne will earn $800,000 (2005), $2.85 million (2006) and $3.25 million (2007).

Revamping the linebacker corps, after a dismal 2004 performance, was an offseason priority for the Rams, and they wasted little time addressing it. Coakley signed a five-year contract worth $14.5 million, with a $3 million signing bonus.

Claiborne, 26, played the strong-side spot for the Vikings the past two seasons and really resurrected his career. Part of what made him attractive to the Rams was the versatility he has exhibited, as he has started at various times at all three linebacker positions.

The former Southern California star was a first-round draft choice of Detroit in 1999 and played his first four seasons with the Lions before signing with the Vikings in 2003 as a free agent.

He has 528 tackles in his career, along with 14 sacks, eight interceptions, 30 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and eight recoveries. In the 2000-02 seasons, he had 100-plus tackles each season. Claiborne has played in 87 games.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ex-Vike agrees to three-year contract

Claiborne will sign a three-year contract worth $10.5 million and the deal includes a $3.6 million signing bonus. In terms of annual salaries, Claiborne will earn $800,000 (2005), $2.85 million (2006) and $3.25 million (2007).
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this gives him a current cap hit of $2.0 million, right? And I believe that Coakley's cap hit is $1.6 million...not bad, a revamped LB corp for $3.6 million. That's close to what Faulk's restructured savings were for I think.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-03-2005 at 07:26 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That looks about right, bison. I'd say that's a very good price for gaining two starting veteran linebackers.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsfan1975 Guest

i said it yesterday and ill say it again today ........yay!