Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Exercise caution when analyzing our first preseason game ...

Watching the game live, I was, too be honest, extremely dissapointed in the effort that was put forth by alot of our players in our first preseason game. It really did look like the Titans were playing a few levels above us in terms of intensity. Does that mean we cannot match their intensity? Absolutely not. I think we were just a little over our heads and maybe our games got a little overconfident during the excellent week of practice we had against the Titans. Is that a coaching flaw? Maybe. Is it overconfidence? Maybe. Can these things be fixed? Absolutely ...

Watching the tape of the game, the Titan's came out ready to play smash mouth football. They came out with the intensity they would show in a regular season game. As the adrenaline wore off, the game slowed down, and naturally, their second and third string players did not play with the same level of intensity ...

However, don't look alot into our failures on both sides of the ball during that game. Not only were several key defenders out of the game, along with a new offensive line trying to protect Bulger, but one must remember, that both offensively and defensively, we run some of the most complicated schemes in the NFL. There is alot of shifting on both offense and defense, and if you look at the tape, you will see a very vanilla representation of what the offense and defense will actually look like. Both are predicated on alot of shifting, alot of communication, and alot of deception. We were executing very basic plays in this game. Short a trick reverse to Hall, and the beautiful Berlin pass to Looker, we didn't really take any shots in this game. There were no complication dig routes, no scheme blitzes, no stunts, not alot of movement. We were playing half tooled, both physically and mentally, against a team that was truly ready to come knock heads: a team that plays a much more basic style of football, a team that is a few steps ahead of ours in terms of preparation. We've got alot of young guys on this team, and they've got a long way to go to be up to par in terms of knowledge and execution of the systems. While we are talented, we are not very deep at alot of positions, and hence you saw a continual dropoff during the game. Does this mean we cannot compete? Absolutely not, I think if we stay healthy, and the O-Line gels over time, you will see our offense continue to improve, which will make our defense look even better. The only major concern I have is that Marc does not have residual demons from the beating he has taken recently. Who knows what Jim Everett could have been if not for the same demons. It took him three years to recover and a change of scenery before he was productive again ...

Regardless, use the second preseason game as a barometer. If they play equally poorly in this game, in front of the home crowd, with a chip on their shoulder, and likely a little more open style of play, then we can talk about the problems. I don't think the coaches are ready to unleash either side of the ball, as aforementioned, there is a lot of deception involved on both sides of the ball in our planning and I think they'll wait until the regular season to truly open up. The camp and practice reports have certainly been promising enough ...

Looking forward to game 2. It will tell alot about the character of these guys. Let's see how they rebound before we make any rash assumptions ....

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Exercise caution when analyzing our first preseason game ...

I am looking foward to game 2 also. But I can't buy the theory we were overconfidence. This team knows what it is facing and they know what they don't want to happen again they had all year to think about it. There are jobs on the line including coaches. I would expect them to play lights out with the Chargers. Go Rams!!!
    :ramlogo:

moloch41 Guest

And this is a serious question about the defense- doesn't it concern you that going into the third season with Haslett- players still can't tackle, miss assignments regularly, are weak as hell against the run, and aren't able to generate anything that even resembles a pass rush? A lot of these things are basic fundamentals for football players and Haslett seems unable to instill this in his players. I know I make light of it a lot , but I'm tired of hearing how "fiery" he is. To me, that's like saying an fat person has a good personality. Yeah, you wouldn't mind having a drink with them, but you would never date them. Okay, so he looks mad and yells a lot, but can he coach? I have serious doubts about his and Linehan's ability to correct the problems that have been plaguing us. Yeah, we hear how they're aware of the problems and how they're going to fix them, but we hear it week after week. You all are aware of the little boy that cried wolf, no?

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Is it overconfidence?
    If a team that finshed with a 3-13 record and played as poorly as the Rams did last season are over confident, then there is a problem with the coaching staff. There is no way this team should be feeling that way and our headcoach should be reminding them of that every day instead of trying to sugarcoat everything and talk about how hard everyone is trying. This is similar to the problems I had with Joe Torre near the end of his tenure with the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    If a team that finshed with a 3-13 record and played as poorly as the Rams did last season are over confident, then there is a problem with the coaching staff. There is no way this team should be feeling that way and our headcoach should be reminding them of that every day instead of trying to sugarcoat everything and talk about how hard everyone is trying. This is similar to the problems I had with Joe Torre near the end of his tenure with the Yankees.
    I will not argue with you here. I cannot speak for the players, I am only basing this on what I hear. Although, I think alot of the new found confidence is on the offensive side of the ball, and is due to Al Saunders. There is nothing wrong with him making the player's believe they can be successful. Having confidence is not a crime, being over confident is not a crime. What is a crime, is being over confident, then getting knocked off your saddle, and not responding properly. Marc Bulger said it perfectly when he said that they are not as good as they think they are and have work to do. The coaches and players have probably had a long tough road putting themselves off the mat after last year. It does not surprise me when things start going well that they may be a little over confident, especially when things start falling into place. Let's see how they react for the second game. I would imagine that we will see a much more focused team against the Chargers ....

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I, too, am very concerned about Marc Bulger. I well remember the last few years of Jim Everett when he had about the worst case of "happy feet" in the pocket that I had ever seen. It got so bad that even if he had protection he would panic and prematurely get rid of the ball. Quite simply Jim Everett was never the same and ended up with the hated moniker of "Chrissy" Everett.

I just hope that Bulger can overcome what has happened to him the last several years and start playing like he used to. I was also surely hoping that his new position coach, Terry Shea and the signing of his friend,Trent Green,wouldgo a long way to helping him to regain his confidence and efficiency. If not, could we be looking at the beginning of the Brock Berlin era? Let's hope not, at least for a good while.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I, too, am very concerned about Marc Bulger. I well remember the last few years of Jim Everett when he had about the worst case of "happy feet" in the pocket that I had ever seen. It got so bad that even if he had protection he would panic and prematurely get rid of the ball. Quite simply Jim Everett was never the same and ended up with the hated moniker of "Chrissy" Everett.

I just hope that Bulger can overcome what has happened to him the last several years and start playing like he used to. I was also surely hoping that his new position coach, Terry Shea and the signing of his friend,Trent Green,wouldgo a long way to helping him to regain his confidence and efficiency. If not, could we be looking at the beginning of the Brock Berlin era? Let's hope not, at least for a good while.

WHAT SAY YE?
    It should be noted that Bulger can recover from this. Even Everett did, as he had some really superb years in New Orleans after he left the Rams. I think Bulger can handle it, he seems to have a good demeanor. Let's hope he gets continued support from the coaches and his teammates.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I have to agree with others in that I find it laughable that this team would be "overconfident" at anything it does. So, obviously, that isn't a valid reason for the dismal performance last Saturday.

I'm beginning to think that Haslett is the culprit. Personnel changes have not made much difference to the defensive side of the ball. The only constant is Haslett, and of course, Linehan. This team has taken on the stigma that others have attached to them for years. "the Rams are a soft team". Despite Haslett's supposedly "fiery" personality, it's not transferring to his squad. The only glimpse of the hard-hitting, angry, stubborn defense that I expected from a Haslett defense was a couple of years ago against Denver in the home opener. They came out fired up, caused turnovers, were hitting anything that had blue and orange on it, and looked fantastic. Remember that game? What happened?

Instead, we're seeing a defense that sits back and waits for the offense to come to them. ...and it gets worse as the game progresses. In the second half of games last year, they seemed to always be backpeddling.

...and although it was only a first pre-season game, and several key guys were missing, they still seem to be playing uninspired football.

On offense, I agree that Bulger appears to be playing "scared". No other way to describe it comes to mind right now. I've seen it with boxers. Guys that go undefeated, and have never tasted the mat, lose confidence and that feeling of invincibility once they've been decked a few times. Suddenly, they're moving backward, retreating instead of attacking. It's understandable, for sure. But it's the same with a QB, me thinks. I'll use Warner as another example, and as another used, Jim Everett. When Warner started to take a beating, he started to get jumpy in the pocket, his decision making got worse, his throws started to lose their accuracy and zip. He threw more picks. When Jim Everett took the "dive" in that whiners game, he was never the same guy after that. He lost that mental edge.

I'm just hoping Marc isn't ruined because of the beating he took last year.

The game against the Chargers this weekend should give us a better idea of where the Rams are at. Unfortunatley, I expect the Chargers, even without LT, to roll over the Rams with little effort. They have more talent top to bottom, and should have little problem with the Rams. However, it is a preseason game, and the Chargers know where they're at, so a win dosn't have the importance in preseason to them that it does with the Rams. I feel the Rams need to win this game, or at least, look good in a losing effort to help the "healing process". The Rams are at home, and there probably isn't too many Charger fans in the neighborhood to dilute the fan base. So, preseason or not, they "should" play a more inspired game, and they MUST give a better EFFORT than last week.

I still don't expect the offense to move the ball very effectively without Jax, so I'd be satisfied with a close low-scoring first half, with the number ones going against each other. I just want to see some effort. I want to see some fire. I want to see guys flying around the field, as if they're playing for their football lives.

That's all I want.

...for now.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If Marc Bulger is in fact shell shocked than we have a major problem.

What should Linehan do?

Pull him or late him play his way through it?

I personally don't think he is shell shocked. All we have been reading about is how accurate he has been in training camp. Now he comes out flat in the 1st preseason game and we come to the idea that he might be scared back there in the pocket?

??

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I'm beginning to think that Haslett is the culprit. Personnel changes have not made much difference to the defensive side of the ball. The only constant is Haslett, and of course, Linehan. This team has taken on the stigma that others have attached to them for years. "the Rams are a soft team". Despite Haslett's supposedly "fiery" personality, it's not transferring to his squad. The only glimpse of the hard-hitting, angry, stubborn defense that I expected from a Haslett defense was a couple of years ago against Denver in the home opener. They came out fired up, caused turnovers, were hitting anything that had blue and orange on it, and looked fantastic. Remember that game? What happened?

Instead, we're seeing a defense that sits back and waits for the offense to come to them. ...and it gets worse as the game progresses. In the second half of games last year, they seemed to always be backpeddling.

I completely agree with this assessment. I've been thoroughly disappointed with Haslett so far. We definately don't blitz and get aggressive enough. We play too much zone and get a mush pass rush from the front four. This is a defense without any identity and if we continue to throw out the same tired scheme, we never will. Read and react is no way to call a game- you want to force the offense to change their gameplan- not just have your players react to it. I also agree that his playcalling gets even lamer as the game goes along. Remember how easily Chris Redman was able to drive the Falcons in the second half of that game last year. We just stopped blitzing once we had the lead. Whatever happened to the guy that was the architect of Blitzburg?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LAram0 View Post
    If Marc Bulger is in fact shell shocked then we have a major problem.

What should Linehan do?

Pull him or late him play his way through it?

I personally don't think he is shell shocked. All we have been reading about is how accurate he has been in training camp. Now he comes out flat in the 1st preseason game and we come to the idea that he might be scared back there in the pocket?

??

Very good posts, good thread, Infiniti. Enjoyed reading. Must go now.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I have to agree with others in that I find it laughable that this team would be "overconfident" at anything it does. So, obviously, that isn't a valid reason for the dismal performance last Saturday.

...and although it was only a first pre-season game, and several key guys were missing, they still seem to be playing uninspired football.

On offense, I agree that Bulger appears to be playing "scared". No other way to describe it comes to mind right now. I've seen it with boxers. Guys that go undefeated, and have never tasted the mat, lose confidence and that feeling of invincibility once they've been decked a few times. Suddenly, they're moving backward, retreating instead of attacking. It's understandable, for sure. But it's the same with a QB, me thinks. I'll use Warner as another example, and as another used, Jim Everett. When Warner started to take a beating, he started to get jumpy in the pocket, his decision making got worse, his throws started to lose their accuracy and zip. He threw more picks. When Jim Everett took the "dive" in that whiners game, he was never the same guy after that. He lost that mental edge.

I'm just hoping Marc isn't ruined because of the beating he took last year.

The game against the Chargers this weekend should give us a better idea of where the Rams are at. Unfortunatley, I expect the Chargers, even without LT, to roll over the Rams with little effort. They have more talent top to bottom, and should have little problem with the Rams. However, it is a preseason game, and the Chargers know where they're at, so a win dosn't have the importance in preseason to them that it does with the Rams. I feel the Rams need to win this game, or at least, look good in a losing effort to help the "healing process". The Rams are at home, and there probably isn't too many Charger fans in the neighborhood to dilute the fan base. So, preseason or not, they "should" play a more inspired game, and they MUST give a better EFFORT than last week.

I still don't expect the offense to move the ball very effectively without Jax, so I'd be satisfied with a close low-scoring first half, with the number ones going against each other. I just want to see some effort. I want to see some fire. I want to see guys flying around the field, as if they're playing for their football lives.

That's all I want.

...for now.
    The frustration with Haslett is fine and dandy. I don't know if he is the right guy to lead this defense or not, I really don't. But making any real assessment of our defense after the 1st preseason game is not valid. Our best defensive player, starting SAM, potential pro-bowl caliber safety, and #1 cornerback sat out ...

With that said, Haslett's first year, the D started off awesome against Denver and tailed off from there. I don't know how to explain that. Last year, we were improved against the run (particularly against giving up the huge gains - we shed nearly 1.0 YPC), and were an improved defense all around. We did fold in the second half of alot of games, and this is partially because of the scheme, partially because of passive play calling, and partially because our guys were plain worn out due to our poor offense ...

Now, assuming the average is drastically improved this year, we SHOULD see a marketable improvement in the defense. If we were able to finish 21st or whatever it was last year with that pathetic sham of an offense, we should easily be able to finish around 10-12th in the league if the offense can effectively move the ball, allowing for more aggressive schemes, combined with more experience all around. If we can stay healthy at linebacker, I really think this defense can perform, regardless of the past.

Honestly, do you really think some of those GSOT defenses were as good as the numbers actually showed, or was their high performance heavily influenced by the high octane offense and the ability to bu ultra aggressive?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I personally don't think he is shell shocked. All we have been reading about is how accurate he has been in training camp.
    Well, that's because he wears a yellow jersey in practice and nobody is allowed to hit him. Unfortunately, the accurized Bulger we've been reading about in practice is not translating to the actual games when he is put under a genuine pass rush.

BTW it was Mike Franke that first mentioned these problems with Bulger in LAST years preseason. Folks, he was looking shaky even before he took his beating last years regular season.

And while we're on the subject, imho, some of the sacks he takes are a lot of his fault for not moving out of the pocket or getting rid of the ball. And frequently it is because he has the "deer in the headlights" appearance and he can't make quick decisions.

I just have a bad feeling about our QB situation and I certainly hope I'm wrong.

WHAT SAY YE?

theodus69 Guest

I'm not shy or do I hold back my feelings about our so called great QB. I have noticed that lately alot of radio sport shows lump Bulger in with the mediocore now. Kinda what I've always said. He's fragile and he is not set up for the abuse he has taken in the past and will receive this season . he peaked 2-3 yrs ago and kinda fizzled out as of late. he is what we got but this would have been a good year to groom, especially w/trent green in camp.. But yes to see the same sorry ass team out there again was too much for me. i don't care if we lose all the PS games, I just want to see the first teams competitive and that will make me at ease. This last showing..................................I need some blacktar or something heavy man.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Honestly, do you really think some of those GSOT defenses were as good as the numbers actually showed, or was their high performance heavily influenced by the high octane offense and the ability to bu ultra aggressive?

The lovie smith defense was definately a beneficary of a great offense. The first year when he was there, the offense was a finely-oiled machine and teams were forced to pass early and often. As our offense began to get kinks in their armor, teams began to run against us and we saw the D fall in the rankings every year. I don't blame everything on Haslett- I blame lovie smith and larry marmie for bringing in that damn Cover 2 and making us a team that didn't blitz. lovie also set us back several years by bringing in his "lovie-type players"- how many of them remain? But I guess why I'm so disappointed in Haslett is that I expected him to change all that and he hasn't. We're still soft, we're still passive, and we're so badly lacking in basic fundamentals. If Haslett is not here next season, which I think is highly likely, I would like to see us go after a young coordinator on Jim Johnson's Eagles staff. You saw what Steve Spagnola brought to the Giants last year and saw how a defense that presses the issue can change the outcomes of games. Johnson preaches constant pressure and practices what he preaches. In that first preseason game against the Steelers, he was sending all out blitzes in the 4th quarter with all rookies in and they were totally knocking the offense off kilter. I don't want to play rope-a-dope defense anymore- I want them to decide games.
    Last edited by moloch41; -08-14-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast