Rambos is online now Registered User

Expect the St. Louis Rams to make an announcement on their next head coach shortly

Rams keep thinking offense, set to hire Dolphins' Linehan
    Jan. 18, 2006
    By Clark Judge
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Clark your opinion!

-- probably by Friday and no later than Monday. And expect that head coach to be Miami Dolphins' assistant Scott Linehan.

Advertisement

League sources confirmed that Linehan, the Dolphins' offensive coordinator, is the choice of an organization that Wednesday completed its second round of interviews by consulting with Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Linehan and San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron had their second interviews earlier.

Originally, the Rams were expected to hire a defensive assistant, largely because of problems the club had on that side of the ball this year (only Houston allowed more points). But the more club executives tossed around the idea the more they decided an offensive head coach might be the ticket -- largely because they believed they could straighten out the league's 30th-ranked defense by choosing a candidate from a reservoir deep with solid defensive coordinators.

Scott Linehan got a lot out of a little with the Dolphins. (Getty Images)
    That decision, of course, will belong to Linehan, but look for someone like Jim Bates, who was the Packers' defensive coordinator last year, or the New York Jets' Donnie Henderson to be among the candidates.

But there's another reason St. Louis opted for an offensive assistant. When you look at the Rams, you find their best players generally are on one side of the ball -- and, no, it's not defense. It's with an offense that former coach Mike Martz built into one of the league's most productive units before departing in the middle of this season with a heart infection.

Linehan, 42, initially was considered a long-shot candidate because he has only four years of NFL experience. But his name emerged in recent weeks as the Rams started combing the league for offensive assistants, talking to, among others, Cameron, Baltimore's Jim Fassel and Pittsburgh's Ken Whisenhunt.

Linehan is young, smart, dynamic and imaginative. The Rams were impressed with how he managed the Minnesota offense when the Vikings had Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper. Linehan enhanced his standing by winning this season with Gus Frerotte as his quarterback, though that's probably more a testament to the job done by head coach Nick Saban.

But look what the Dolphins accomplished: With Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels as their passers, they ranked in the upper half in many offensive categories and finished in the middle (16th) in scoring. Sure, they were blanked by Cleveland, but they responded by finishing with six straight wins.

Now look what happened when Linehan joined Minnesota in 2002 after 13 seasons of coaching at the college level. In his three years as an offensive assistant there, the Vikings never ranked lower than fourth in overall offense and were the league's second-ranked passing unit in 2004 when quarterback Daunte Culpepper threw 39 touchdown passes, a franchise record.

St. Louis is desperate for some of that production. The Rams believe they have the necessary talent in players like running back Steven Jackson, quarterback Marc Bulger and wide receiver Torry Holt. But they also believe they lost something last year when the organization was shredded by friction between Martz and the front office.

The Rams want their high-scoring offense back. And they want to return to winning. They believe Linehan gives them the chance.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

Re: Expect the St. Louis Rams to make an announcement on their next head coach shortly

First I get my jersey and my new helmet and now this. Turning out to be a fine couple of weeks, it is, it is.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Expect the St. Louis Rams to make an announcement on their next head coach shortl

Bernie has this to say about Judge. You think maybe he is a little jealous someone else is breaking the stroy LOL

--------------
    On Linehan....
    Reports are premature.

As I have been telling you for many days now, Linehan is the front runner, and he remains the front runner, and it's easy for anyone to make that leap and speculate that he'll be the choice.

But as of 6 p.m. St. Louis time, Wednesday, Jan. 18, Linehan has not been offered the job.

--B

-----------------------------

Well, when it gets close, a lot of people start talking, including agents.

But I've been accurate and on top of the story.

Linehan could well be the choice, and it could be confirmed later tonight.

But there's nothing concrete right now.

Clark Judge may turn out to be 100 percent right, but the Rams haven't hired Lenihan as of right now.

--B

Re: Expect the St. Louis Rams to make an announcement on their next head coach shortly

I dont get this at all.

Mike Martz was an offencive genius .... everyone knows that and was fantastic as a offensive coordinator. We make him head coach and everyone complains that we should have kept him as the offensive coordinator.

So what do we do, we hire another genius offensive coordinator and make him head coach ......

Stop the bus please, I am feeling a little sick.

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Re: Expect the St. Louis Rams to make an announcement on their next head coach shortl

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Bernie has this to say about Judge. You think maybe he is a little jealous someone else is breaking the stroy LOL

--------------
    On Linehan....
    Reports are premature.

As I have been telling you for many days now, Linehan is the front runner, and he remains the front runner, and it's easy for anyone to make that leap and speculate that he'll be the choice.

But as of 6 p.m. St. Louis time, Wednesday, Jan. 18, Linehan has not been offered the job.

--B

-----------------------------

Well, when it gets close, a lot of people start talking, including agents.

But I've been accurate and on top of the story.

Linehan could well be the choice, and it could be confirmed later tonight.

But there's nothing concrete right now.

Clark Judge may turn out to be 100 percent right, but the Rams haven't hired Lenihan as of right now.

--B
    Jealous indeed lol. In terms of Linehan, I'm fine with the signing as long as we could bring in a solid d-coordinator. As always...
    GO RAMS!!!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

It will be all fine as long as we get a good d-coordinator. It actually might work out better. Just please don't say Cottrell is getting the coordinator job, we need Bates!!

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

As long as there are topics to discuss, there will always be something wrong with every one of them.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I dont get this at all.

Mike Martz was an offencive genius .... everyone knows that and was fantastic as a offensive coordinator. We make him head coach and everyone complains that we should have kept him as the offensive coordinator.

So what do we do, we hire another genius offensive coordinator and make him head coach ......

Stop the bus please, I am feeling a little sick.
    Martz was not fired due to his record or play calling, game management ect. Mike Martz could not work with the FO, that’s it. I think the fans and owners where happy with the production for the most part. Shaw himself made such a statement during the press conference when they let him go. Other factors all point to the way he, Martz, worked with the FO. It just became a Hugh mess that was too much to deal with, just out weighed his win loss record. This also is showing up in the lack of interest in Martz by other teams, only one interview to date.

The Rams have more talent on the offense and there are plenty of good D coordinators out there, not as many good offensive coordinators. Why not get an offensive HC and hire a strong D coordinator and fix the D. I think this is the fastest way to have another run at it; we have too many holes on the D to fix in one draft. It is what it is; maybe a new D coordinator and a HC that works with the FO may bring this team back.