Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expectations

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Expectations

Expectations.

One word is all it takes to change everyone's perspective. I believe there was a poll at the beginning of the season asking what everyone expected our record to be. The most popular results were 4-12 5-11 6-10. We win two games in a row and everyone starts talking playoffs. Expectations change and suddenly we are the team that could have a record like 10-6. Everyone should expect this team to play it's best, but please remember that we are still the team that went 1-15 last year. We are not the worst team in this division, but we should not expect to win it. I am not saying dont have expectations, but please try to lower them. The fall doesnt hurt as much when you crash back to earth.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Expectations

There is no question that expectations must be more realistic, despite the two game win streak. The problem is that with winning comes HEIGHTENED expectations. It's human nature. And as I said on another thread, we must take a reality break.

Talk of winning the division was over the top, but it certainly wasn't unreasonable to expect the Rams to put up a better effort against an 0-4 football team today.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

During the preseason, I wrote an article where I went game by game and talked about whether I thought the Rams would win or lose, while continuing to tally what their record would be based on my predictions. Through five weeks, my prediction was 2-3... and the Rams are right there exactly.

I do think the way they played the last two weeks have caused people to reevaluate their views on the team - in a prediction thread for this game specifically, I had the Rams coming out on top in a close contest despite giving them a loss to Detroit in my preseason prediction article - but you guys are exactly right. Expectations need to be tempered, and I was channeling that message after the New England Patriots preseason game, which I think is where we first started to see some of the double-digit win talk.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I wasn't in the double digit win crowd, but based on what we have seen so far this season, I thought (and still do think if we can adequately replace Clayton on the trading block) that the Division was winnable. A lot hinges on what we do regarding the hole a wideout and next week's San Diego game, though.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

My expectation was to come in to Detroit and not get blown over. At least fight back sheesh.

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Expectations.

One word is all it takes to change everyone's perspective. I believe there was a poll at the beginning of the season asking what everyone expected our record to be. The most popular results were 4-12 5-11 6-10. We win two games in a row and everyone starts talking playoffs. Expectations change and suddenly we are the team that could have a record like 10-6. Everyone should expect this team to play it's best, but please remember that we are still the team that went 1-15 last year. We are not the worst team in this division, but we should not expect to win it. I am not saying dont have expectations, but please try to lower them. The fall doesnt hurt as much when you crash back to earth.
    My win expectations for the Rams have not changed I realize they are a 5 or 6 win team. However to just come to Detroit and lay down like a dirty old rug is not my expectations of this team. I could see us getting blown out by a good team but getting blown out by Detroit? Come on we have already played better teams than Detroit, why so unprepaired? I am fine losing to Detroit just not by 38, that is inexcuseable to say the least. Where was the fire for a team that was tied for first in their division? Are we really 38 points worse than Detroit? I'm excited for my Rams but it's dissappointing to watch a performance like that.
    Just Fix It

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    My win expectations for the Rams have not changed I realize they are a 5 or 6 win team. However to just come to Detroit and lay down like a dirty old rug is not my expectations of this team. I could see us getting blown out by a good team but getting blown out by Detroit? Come on we have already played better teams than Detroit, why so unprepaired? I am fine losing to Detroit just not by 38, that is inexcuseable to say the least. Where was the fire for a team that was tied for first in their division? Are we really 38 points worse than Detroit? I'm excited for my Rams but it's dissappointing to watch a performance like that.
    Detroit has an above average offense and we had a defense that didn't step up properly to even keep them below our usual 20 pts allowed marker. I still say this is a 5-7 win team and I have been since week 1 of this season.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I think most people were starting to think we had a shot at the playoffs if we could do good here before the bye week. Because we were tied for first and the other teams in our division look like crap. AZ won today but barely moved the ball on offense and their three TDs were one by an OT on a fumble recovery and two on defense. The Saints moved the ball against them as well. We beat Seattle the other leading division contender by a decent amount. SF is now 0-5. I still would have thought that we had a decent shot if we lost the game, Clayton was healthy, and AZ lost. But now that we dont have Clayton (our best WR) and AZ pulled one off I feel less likely. AZ now has a 2 game lead on us due to the tie breaker.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -10-11-2010 at 01:07 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I feel like all these injuries have me looking towards next years draft already. Matter of fact go take a look at the Draft and FA forum for my new thread

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

all these injuries make me wonder if there is a point in drafting players if all that happens is they get injured. It's really bloody frustrating to see our people go down to injury every single time we catch a glimmer of hope.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i tried to keep a steady head but i admit i did get a little carried away and was believing the division title is within reach.
    this loss just crushed me.
    i think if they kept it close i'd be ok but this was a reality check in the harshest way..

3STL9 is offline Registered User

I still expect us to win 7 games..maybe even 8-8

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't think those of us who talked about playoffs were suggesting a 10-6 record. What I was suggesting was that the division was so bad that 7 wins and a strong division record just might be enough to win the West this year. We're 2-3, one game behind the first place team, and still have a number of winnable games left on the schedule. I don't have any illusions about this team being a league title contender, but I do believe that it could be better than the other three teams in this division.

ludairv is offline Registered User

expect for them to be competitive... and not futile...thats my only expectation...whatever the record maybe, this loss to detroit was so dissapointing.The recievers deserve to run through endless drills as punishment...and a playbook tutor should be assigned for gibson and gilyard....

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    During the preseason, I wrote an article where I went game by game and talked about whether I thought the Rams would win or lose, while continuing to tally what their record would be based on my predictions. Through five weeks, my prediction was 2-3... and the Rams are right there exactly.

I do think the way they played the last two weeks have caused people to reevaluate their views on the team - in a prediction thread for this game specifically, I had the Rams coming out on top in a close contest despite giving them a loss to Detroit in my preseason prediction article - but you guys are exactly right. Expectations need to be tempered, and I was channeling that message after the New England Patriots preseason game, which I think is where we first started to see some of the double-digit win talk.
    Thanks Nick, you said pretty much everything I had to say. The sky is not falling, we are a rebuilding team that is showing signs of that rebuilding working. Sam is turning out so far to be the QB that we needed to get. Other parts of the team are showing improvement. And it is still glaringly obvious that there are still talent gaps in other areas and that we have little depth in some of the positions that we do have talent in.

Guys, enjoy the fact that we have been competitive in most of the games we have lost. Enjoy the wins that we do get. Enjoy watching the good players work and develop, and stop looking for individuals to blame for every little thing. Even the most elite players don't always make plays. And we have few of what would be considered elite players.

Support the team, support the players, even the one you may not like, and keep the faith!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast