Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIG-BLUE

Thread: Experts see sunshine on Rams' horizon..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Experts see sunshine on Rams' horizon..

• By Jeff Gordon

Things are looking up for the Rams. ESPN experts believe they will be one of the NFL’s better teams by the 2016 season, although not one of the juggernauts.

San Francisco, Green Bay and Seattle earned the highest projected power rankings for that season, with Baltimore, New England, Atlanta and the New York Giants next.

As for the Rams, the World-Wide Leader ranked the franchise in a tie for eighth with Indianapolis in its ’16 power rankings.

Here is a sampling of the ESPN’s assessment:

Mike Sando: “(Sam) Bradford logged hard miles in his first couple seasons, but he's actually younger than (Colin) Kaepernick. He should be entering his prime years in 2016. The glass is half full now that the Rams have some young playmakers, and even though Bradford has struggled on third down, he did rank fourth in fourth-quarter Total QBR last season (80.0). He's entering a two-year window to earn a new contract.”

Bill Polian: “Head coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead have begun to craft a team in their image. As you would expect, they concentrated on building a defense last year and improved that group considerably. First-round draft choice Alec Ogletree (if his off-field problems are behind him) should be an immediate contributor. Free-agent pick-up Jake Long must avoid injury and pick up his level of play, and (Jared) Cook must also reach his potential. (Tavon) Austin will be an instant difference-maker in the return game, and likely a contributor on offense.”

Mel Kiper: “Yes, they could have stayed at No. 2 overall and taken Robert Griffin III in 2012, but the deal that sent the No. 2 pick to the Redskins couldn't have possibly turned into a bigger surplus of future picks. It could be argued that by the time the Rams have finished their 2014 draft -- which, thanks to the trade with Washington has them again set to take multiple first-rounders -- no team in the NFL will have a higher overall level of cheap talent on the roster, something that creates a ton of flexibility.”

In the meantime, though, expect some more growing pains as the legion of young Rams learn what it takes to win at this level. And don't forget that the ***** and Seahawks aren't going away any time soon.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Experts see sunshine on Rams' horizon..

2016 NFL Power rankings already coming out? By that time, the Rams could be a completely different team, with a completely different roster, playing in a completely different city. Kind of silly since 3 years is an eternity in the NFL.

Rambos is offline Registered User

This is just silly but I will play.

New England, well we all know they are having issue today but how can you project them as a great team in 2016. Brady will be what 40 years old?

San Francisco and Seattle lets assume that their young QB turn out to be great. At some point they will cost a ton, then what? How do they fit all the players around them. Look at Baltimore, they just lost a lot of players due to paying Flacco.

As far as the Rams, I hope we are not a completely different team. We have guys locked up for 4 and 5 years. All the new rookies and free agents Cook, Finn, J Long, C Long, JL. Heck I hope they lock up Sam before he breaks out with insane numbers. He's got three years left would be nice at the end of this if year they extend him.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Cool Re: Experts see sunshine on Rams' horizon..

• By Jeff Gordon

Things are looking up for the Rams. ESPN experts believe they will be one of the NFL’s better teams by the 2016 season, although not one of the juggernauts.
    I confess to not even noticing the 2016 year. I was thinking they were talking this year.

In the meantime, though, expect some more growing pains as the legion of young Rams learn what it takes to win at this level. And don't forget that the ***** and Seahawks aren't going away any time soon.
    One thing I am curious about, is how well Kreep and Stumpy will play this year now that defensive coordinators have plenty of film to study on them both. Will they have a sophomore slump as opposing teams are better able to game plan for them? I wonder ..

On paper, all the NFC West teams appear improved, but we played all of them twice last year with one hand tied behind our back on offense. We played them tough, compiling the best NFC West record. I really like our chances this year given Sams new toys and our upgraded O-line. The loss of Crabtree will weaken the whiners as well. Maybe it's just the "homer" in me, but I believe we've really improved our team over last year more so than our division rivals through the draft and FA. We'll find out in a few weeks!

Off season winners in order:
    Rams
    Sqawks
    Whiners
    Cards

(This could end up being the order of the 2013 division win/loss record as well)

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

For me, it's nothing more than a bunch of self proclaimed experts sharing their opinions....nothing more nothing less
    macrammer likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Tis the season--the off season and what else is there to talk about? Notice ESPN radio can spend an entire day talking about one MBA playoff game? Or how so early in the season that so-and-so MLB is poised for the playoffs and so-and-so is this-that-and-the other thing. Haven't even snapped the ball for 2013 season and already by 2016 is in view by the experts--there is plenty of time for implosions-acts of sure brilliance-and Fate dealing from the bottem of the deck--the beauty of football it ain't all about who has the deeper pockets like in baseball

macrammer is online now Registered User

I am more into the 2013 season. I expect we make the playoffs in 2013. I expect we have SB victory number TWO by 2016. I rarely put any credence into media crystal ball stuff.....stuff earns them a paycheck but little else.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    For me, it's nothing more than a bunch of self proclaimed experts sharing their opinions....nothing more nothing less
    How dare you question my "Expert" status ?? Bill Polian, Sando, and Mel Kiper may be fools, but please don't lump me in with those mediocre pundits !!