RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Explanation for not looking deep?

I was thinking about this. Could a reasonable explanation as to why we didn't look deep be the that we don't have a deep threat reciever on our roster other than Bennett who as you know didn't play last week?

Honestly, how many of you think of Bruce and Holt and think deep threat? When I think of those two I think 15 - 20 yard dig route, out routes and quick slants. I don't think of 40 yard fly routes, or 30 yards and to the middle of the field, could that be a reasonable reason? The reason being Bennett wasn't in the game?

When I think of Bennett I think of fly routes, 30 yards and go to the middle of the field. I think of him as a redzone threat and a big play guy, not a playmaker but a guy who will make a big play aka deep threat reciever.

Hell, even maybe have a set like this.

WR Holt
    WR Bennett

LT Barron
    LG Setterstrom
    C Romberg
    RG Incognito
    RT Brown

QB Bulger

WR McMichael
    WR Bruce

Yea, I know, McMichael a Reciever right? But think of this.

Holt and Bruce do a 15 yard and out route, Bennett goes 30 and in, and McMichael does a fly route. Pump fake and look for the defense to bite and look for McMichael going down the field, not open look for Bennett and then Holt and Bruce.

Grant it, it might not work but in my opinion it'd be a great chance for a homerun or strike out play. If you hit a homerun its huge, and if no ones open just throw the ball away and secure it.

Thats just my idea as to why there wasn't any deep plays last week, and an idea to get some deep plays.

RamsFan16

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Explanation for not looking deep?

We Didnt Go Deep Once All Game Sunday... Pathetic... Roy Williams And Calvin Johnson Are Not Necessarily Deep Threats But In Martz's Scheme It Works Out

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I think you have some of it close. The play calling was bad, holt and bruce were by themselves when hall wasnt in, Mcmicheal helped bloke but i didnt notice him getting open really(maybe i just didnt see it). I think that they wanted to hold on to the ball and not let the panthers get a hold of it,which didnt work to well. the large amount of 2 wr sets we used were horrible to run with throughout the game. Hopefully linehan and co. realize they need to do some things diffrent, do things that the rams are good at and are used to= great offense.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Hagans Can Be A Deep Threat Period....

Rambos is offline Registered User

Im going with it was the game plan not to take too many shot deep. Maybe Bennett would have made a difference in the plan.

It may not have been the flashiest thing in the world, but its to go back there, slinging it, getting four guys out, emptying (the backfield), five wides, when you have a defensive front that can actually ruin a game, which weve seen, Linehan said. We were executing the plan exactly how we expected to. We should have played better in the second half and didnt.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-12-2007 at 04:33 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    We Didnt Go Deep Once All Game Sunday... Pathetic... Roy Williams And Calvin Johnson Are Not Necessarily Deep Threats But In Martz's Scheme It Works Out
    Calvin Johnson not a deep threat? The guy is 6'5'' and runs the forty in the low 4.3s -- how much faster can you get ??
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...th-435-40.html

Marques Hagans by comparison ran a 4.64 at the combine ... Hagans is more elusive than he is fast. Our fastest receiver is currently on the practice squad -- Derek Stanley, he can fly:
    AGILITY TESTS
    Campus: 4.34 in the 40-yard dash 240-pound bench press 38-inch vertical jump 10-foot-7 broad jump 30 1/8-inch arm length 9-inch hands Right-handed
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/1221784

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I agree with the general concept...

Where is our speed on offense these days?

I agree that Hagans is shiftier than he is fast, but I'm starting to wonder where our elusiveness is on offense is??? I would prefer to see Hagans in the slot, ala Az Hakim.

I'm seeing teams with new generation receivers passing us by with youth, size, and speed. Unfortunately we'll be drafting DT's and LB's again for the next 5 years as well.

I miss guys flying around out there, and crossing patterns where the guy who catches it is in the open field.

Note to Linehan/Olsen: Please don't turn this team into a "dink and dunk" no-fun offense!!!

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

I think it is too late for that they have made our team dink and dunk and speaking of deep threats any reciever can be a deep threat as long as he runs the right route at the right time as I remember torry holt on the first play of the game caught a deep pass against seattle in the playoffs shaun mcdonald wins it in ot for us against seattle on a deep pass kevin curtis on monday night against the colts bruce against the texans last year its not the recievers its the conservative/timid approach to the offense that olsen/linehan bring to the table now throw in lack of a gameplan and no execution on offense and u get a 13 - 27 loss I jus hope that these guys get out of that conservative mindset and realize this isn't a conservative offense ITS high powered so lets act like it
    Torry Holt Dont play that

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Im going with it was the game plan not to take too many shot deep. Maybe Bennett would have made a difference in the plan.

It may not have been the flashiest thing in the world, but its to go back there, slinging it, getting four guys out, emptying (the backfield), five wides, when you have a defensive front that can actually ruin a game, which weve seen, Linehan said. We were executing the plan exactly how we expected to. We should have played better in the second half and didnt.
    Again, I think you're right on here Rambos. And I don't neccessarily disagree with the game plan. I don't think we have a deep threat anymore, as I've stated before in other threads. At least, not a guy that can blow by defenders and leave them in the dust. Holt and Bruce are great route runners, with great hands, but they're not going to outrun anybody. Let's face it, today's CB's are faster than they've ever been. In fact, I think our fastest guy is a CB. (Hill)

The problem I have with Linehan's comment and game plan approach is that even though you don't believe you'll be successful throwing deep, you at least have to give the impression that you think you can, and you'll try it. Besides, getting open deep isn't just about blazing speed and running by people. It's about setting them up during the game, so that when the time comes, you can run a deep pattern through a fake move, or getting the right mismatch on defense. It's like having a great changeup to go with your fastball in baseball. You may not throw it, but the opposition knows you have it, but isn't sure when you're going to throw it. They start guessing, and that's when you've got them.

I'm not sure if we never sent anyone on a deep pattern and Bulger just didn't see them, or we just didn't attempt a deep route. But I'll be watching for it this Sunday, for sure.

So, I'd like to think that even though our gameplan has gone from the GSOT, to "TYAACD" (Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust) we will still look deep on occasion.

...Just to keep 'em honest.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I'm not sure if we never sent anyone on a deep pattern and Bulger just didn't see them, or we just didn't attempt a deep route.
    I don't know either, but I do know we did not complete a single pass over 20 yards.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Sooo many weapons and not a clue how to use them. The playcalling just doesnt have any juice. The fruits are out on the limbs, if you wanna get there, you gotta streeeetch!! Our recievers havent been on the field together in a game yet . And the way the injury bug is going around it doesnt look like other teams are any different. The coaches just have to figure this one out. They better hurry cause we only have 15 more games.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

The game of football is all about strategy. This includes "bluffing" to keep your opponents off balance and guessing. If we take a few shots deep and don't execute (but at least come close) the defensive coordinator has to respect that and adjust his schemes accordingly or risk eventually getting burned by a deep bomb. Make no mistake we have plenty of talent to put the ball deep more than once in a while. If Bulger and company forgets that we are screwed.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Is Bennett even playing this week?