Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Extraordinarily Frustrating

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Extraordinarily Frustrating

Unforced fumbles, resulting in TDs for opposition.

Dropped passes again... this time Salas is the primary culprit.

Penalties... some deserved, some questionable... too many untimely.

Red zone execution... almost inexplicably poor.

I hate the cliche, "we beat ourselves" but, in this case, I really think it applies. What did the Giants do tonight that consistently worked? Sure, they made some plays, but the Rams moved the ball, forced multiple three and outs, and pressured Manning. Take away the UNFORCED miscues, and the Rams either win this, or its a lot closer.

This team needs to get their act together, or this early tough scheduled is going to bury the Rams before they play their first divisional game.

JFMose is offline Registered User

Re: Extraordinarily Frustrating

These poor losses are shattering our confidence. If we can somehow pull out a win in Baltimore, or Washington, before the bye week, we'll be good for the rest of the season.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I so agree you AV, I also watched the game and was SOOO upset at all the SELF INFLICTED wounds we gave ourselves . I said to myself 'This team is not better than us'. Maybe the Eagles, but not the Giants. So many things stood out to me, too. First was the PI call on Justin King. I personally thought that was bs. The holding call and the other PI call in the third ( I think) were absolutely legit though; what was he doing? The holding call on Saffold late was an absolutely horrible call that I do not agree with. That 3rd and 18 Bradshaw converted was a killer, just like the Salas fumble and drop late. Anyway, all I can say is, if these mistakes don't make this a tough, gritty hard-nosed football team then I dont know what will, not to mention our next 4 or 5 opponents will be nearly impossible to beat.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

No argument there. Penalties, drops and turnovers have cost us the last two games. Stonehands Salas had a rough game, and Kendricks again struggled. The offensive line really had its hands full with Jason Paul-Pierre and Justin Tuck.

It's a shame that some really good performances were wasted in another game that wasn't as close as it should have been. Mikell played lights out for most of the game. Every ball to Alexander was a big play. Laurinaitis was sharp. Mike Sims-Walker had a good game. The defensive coaching had the Giants offense reeling throughout the first half. It was somewhat comical to see two Eagles players simultaneously jump to the turf feigning injuries because they couldn't handle the no huddle. And we still lost...

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Very frustrating game. Never seen so many self inflicting wounds in one game.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I was there this evening. The latest Rams disappointment I must live with. We had 1st and goal on the 1 yd. line in the 1st qtr and couldn't punch it in. I knew then we were in trouble. Then we dropped a punt which was recovered by NY- who marched down the field and scored. We had a pass interference call on 4th and 10 which prolonged a Giants drive. And then, in what quite possibly could be the most ridiculous call in recent memory, Bradford throws a lateral to Cadillac Williams who not only misses it, but allows a Giant to run it in for a score. We were in position for at worst, a long field goal attempt by Brown. Instead of being down only 7-6 or up 9-7, we end up being down 14-6. One Eli Manning-led two minute TD drive before the half and this game was basically over.

This game was there for the taking. The Giants are not a very good football team right now and have injury issues of their own. Yet once again, we showed we just don't have what it takes to play a complete football game. We shoot ourselves in the foot and make the wrong play at the absolute worst possible time. We're unable to make the opposition pay for their mistakes.

Our red zone offense is terrible. I don't know what the answers are. Bradford played well and had better protection overall. Danario Alexander showed me that those who touted his abilities on this board are right: he needs to be in there if healthy- he's the closest thing we have to a dynamic receiver on this roster.

Back to St. Louis to face the Ravens. It will be 0-3 if we don't clean up our mistakes and execute better.

BOLORAM is offline Registered User

Shoulda, coulda. Rams out played Giants. But mistakes are pathetic. Salas is a joke and Cadillac's fumble and failure to act is inexcusable. Take away Salas' punt fumble, two dropped first downs, and his drop late and the Rams win. Cadillac's antics just cement the loss.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Yet once again, we showed we just don't have what it takes to play a complete football game. We shoot ourselves in the foot and make the wrong play at the absolute worst possible time. We're unable to make the opposition pay for their mistakes.
    That is more or less what I was thinking as I watched. We can't use talent as an excuse when we muff a punt return or allow a simple screen pass to turn into a fumble return for a TD or drop a ball in the open field.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It will be 0-3 if we don't clean up our mistakes and execute better.
    If we don't get our act together, we could be looking at 0-5 before the schedule lightens up. I still think we have the ability to be a legitimate playoff team, but we can't keep making these mistakes or we'll dig a hole we can't get back out of.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Nothing more frustrating than knowing you have what it takes to win, but not doing what it takes to win.
    Nick, UtterBlitz and Goldenfleece like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Bradford excluded, I just don't think the younger guys can handle the pressure of the big game spotlight.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Bradford excluded, I just don't think the younger guys can handle the pressure of the big game spotlight.
    What about #84?

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    What about #84?
    Sure there were some bright spots. I mean more collectively as a team, as made evident by the penalties, drops, fumbles, etc.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. • The red zone continued to be the dead zone for the Rams, costing them valuable points for the second week in a row. In a 12-point loss Monday night to the New York Giants, the Rams left 12 points on the field by settling for field goals instead of touchdowns.

Three times St. Louis advanced inside the Giants 20 in the first 2 quarters - actually it was three times inside the New York 10. And all three times, the Rams settled for field goals instead of much-needed touchdowns in a 28-16 loss.

"We just didn't finish it," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I don't have an explanation for you. I'd have to look at each one. But there's some important things in this game: third down's really important; red zone's really important. And I don't know how we did on third down, but we didn't play well in the red zone."

The Rams weren't great on third down (converting on just five of 17 tries). But they were awful in the red zone until Danario Alexander caught a 19-yard TD pass late in the third quarter.

So what's going wrong inside the opponents' 20-yard line?

"It's something we talked about this week," quarterback Sam Bradford said. "It's something we talked about in practice. It's something we talked about after the first time it happened. We haven't been good in the red zone and everyone knows it and we're trying to be better. We just have to find a way to do it."

Throw in a fluky touchdown by the opposing defense for the second week in a row, and once again the Rams (0-2) found themselves staring at the wrong side of the scoreboard in their first Monday night contest since 2006.

The result was another frustrating loss in a game that could have gone the other way with better execution, fewer mistakes, and smarter play.

All in all it made for a sour return to New York for Spagnuolo, who was defensive coordinator for the Giants in 2007 and '08, including the Giants' 17-14 Super Bowl shocker over New England following the '07 season.

"I don't really care about the return thing," Spagnuolo said. "I'm disappointed that we didn't play well. I don't really care about the other stuff.

Bradford threw for a career-high 331 yards although he completed fewer than 50 percent of his attempts (22 of 46).

Alexander had his first 100-yard receiving night, picking up 122 yards and a touchdown on just three catches.

But the red-zone foibles, and a massive mental error by running back Cadillac Williams that resulted in a Giants' defensive touchdown, dug a deep hole for the Rams.

"Especially away, and especially against a good football team, it's hard to play from behind all the time. And that's what happened tonight," Spagnuolo said.

Picking up yardage was no problem for the Rams early. Doing anything in the red zone was another matter.

On the Rams' opening possession, Alexander lived up to his-big play reputation on his first play of the season. Inactive last week, Alexander got behind the New York secondary and leaped for a catch at the Giants' 31.

He fell making the catch, did a backwards roll, got up and started running again before anyone on the New York defense touched him. He finally was tackled just short of the goal line by Giants safety Kenny Phillips. The 68-yard gain was the longest completion of Bradford's NFL career and the longest reception for Alexander as a Ram.

But for the second week in a row, the Rams had a first-and-goal at the 1, but couldn't score a TD. Bradford couldn't connect on fades to Lance Kendricks and Greg Salas on first and third downs, and in between, backside penetration by the Giants dropped Williams for a 1-yard loss on second down. So out trotted Josh Brown for a 21-yard field goal.

On the Rams' next possession, they marched from their 26 to a second-and-2 situation from the New York 7.

But on third-and-2, Salas couldn't hang on to a Bradford pass that would've been good for a first down.

Referee Terry McAulay's crew originally ruled the play a catch and a first down, but Giants coach Tom Coughlin threw down the challenge flag and the call was overturned.

This time, Brown kicked a 25-yard field goal, but the Rams still trailed 7-6 with 3 minutes 21 seconds remaining in the first quarter in part because of a muffed punt by Salas.

Salas couldn't handle a Steve Weatherford punt. Dave Tollefson recovered for the Giants at the Rams 39. With the help of a 23-yard pass interference penalty against Bradley Fletcher, Eli Manning gave New York the lead for good with a 3-yard TD pass to Hakeem Nicks.

The mental lapse by Williams in the second quarter gave the Giants a free seven points and a 14-6 lead early in the second quarter. On third-and-8 from the Giants 25, Bradford threw a backwards pass to Williams near the left sideline.

Williams tried to run before the catch, dropped the ball, and just stood there, thinking the pass was incomplete.

Giants linebacker Michael Boley picked up the ball at the Rams 35 and raced 65 yards for a TD. Whether he thought it was incomplete or not, Spagnuolo said Williams needed to fall on the football.

"Whether there's any question at all, you still need to do it," Spagnuolo said. "Maybe we haven't worked it enough - I don't know."

The Rams' red-zone woes continued in the second half, with a drive stalling at the New York 9 and Brown kicking his third field goal of the night.

Its not surprising that this is happening to our RAMS they are so young and a few vets we have are more of a back up type status , We have a very long way to go , I posted during the game that it was not the coaches but the players , But when I look at somethings such why are we playing a WO that can't seem to catch a ball when we have a receiver like DA even with the bum knee is doing a good job ! ? Their are a lot of questions for our team this yr , I firmly believe we are still much too young and don't have the Skills in different positions to make our RAMS a team that can win against a good NFL football team , Some of the draft choice i thought were foolish imo in the beginning did not say anything , Any way we have a very long season ahead of us , But still love our Rams
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -09-20-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Since I watched Grossman have what must have been a career night vs that secondary,I find it hard to get too excited about even the good things on offense tonight. I'm sure I'll be chewed out for it but I'll wait to be won over by DX until he shows up again in the next couple of games. And what a waste of a solid defensive performance , esp in the first half.

Young & Dilfer were right; QBs earn their money in the RZ. Never all one guy's fault but it would be nice to see the $50 mill kid throw a decent touch pass. I think it has to be said; Bradford has yet to play big on a big stage.

I think they took some good baby steps here & there & no more major injuries that I heard about but I agree with AV: they still fell on their inexperienced keisters more than you'd expect. Maybe SJ's return will help ease the vet leadership burden on Sam so he can relax into his game. To me, it's clear he's pressing a bit.

Anybody else mystified as to why Spags would punt on 4th &7 with only six or so minutes left, down by two scores vs a team that does nothing so well as grind out the clock?

And how freakin' ridiculous was it that no misconduct penalty was awarded for the blatant injury fakery by The G-Men at the goal line ? And there couldn't have been anything fishy about that 30 second timeout turning into a 5 minute tv timeout so NY could get their tattered act together, could there? Talk about adding homefield insult to fake injury.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-20-2011 at 03:56 AM.
    HUbison likes this.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Since I watched Grossman have what must have been a career night vs that secondary,I find it hard to get too excited about even the good things on offense tonight. I'm sure I'll be chewed out for it but I'll wait to be won over by DX until he shows up again in the next couple of games. And what a waste of a solid defensive performance , esp in the first half.

Young & Dilfer were right; QBs earn their money in the RZ. Never all one guy's fault but it would be nice to see the $50 mill kid throw a decent touch pass. I think it has to be said; Bradford has yet to play big on a big stage.
    I agree with you. I am not impressed with this offense at all. Yes there are a few nice catches in the middle of the field, but they need to get in to the end zone and get TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Anybody else mystified as to why Spags would punt on 4th &7 with only six or so minutes left, down by two scores vs a team that does nothing so well as grind out the clock?
    Yes, totally mystified. You have to take some chances if you want to win games when you are behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast