Thread: Eye on the Ball

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Eye on the Ball

Eye on the Ball: A look at three top Virginia-based NFL rookies
    via Fredericksburg Free Lance Star
    Date published: 5/22/2008

WITH THE NFL draft behind us, I'm here to offer some insight and predictions into the top two picks for the University of Virginia and Virginia Tech, plus another player from the commonwealth who could be a sleeper pick.

CHRIS LONG

I may be a bit biased, being a fellow Wahoo and all, but defensive end Chris Long, chosen with the second pick overall by the St. Louis Rams, projects as a solid NFL player.

He is a better tackler than the other top defensive lineman in the draft, LSU's Glenn Dorsey. Long also has a good work-ethic, which is almost always a harbinger of pro success. Many times, top prospects who enter the NFL will flame out because of a distorted sense of entitlement; they think that they do not have to work as hard now that they have reached the highest level. Long has been a run-stopper his whole career, and he blossomed as a pass- rusher his senior year, with 14 sacks.

That kind of versatility, combined with his tremendous athleticism, could lead to Long's becoming a linebacker in the pros. However, I think the Rams would be better served to keep him at his natural position, as a transition can be tough for a young player to make--and the team has equally big holes at both positions.

The other two profiles were for Duane Brown and Kendall Langford. I left those two out since we didn't draft them.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Eye on the Ball

I think Chris Long's never stopping engine will make him a great player. He doesn't give up on a play. Ever. He's going to make it big. Who knows, he may never be as good as his father, he may be better than his father. We won't know until he plays.