Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Face it, folks: Warner's exit was necessary

by my interpretation - was boasting about Warner's passing yards as if it meant something.
    It does mean something. It means he can move an offense with the passing game. There weren't any statements or commentary attached to the stat, those were filled in and then piled on starting with post #7.

Yes, Warner had a couple of bad series early in the first half. But the microscope needs to be de-magnified by a thousand or so. Anyone who watched the game could see that he's out there trying to lead an offense that resembles a chinese fire drill. The o-line was playing it's first game as a unit together. The center was playing with a cast after a 4 week layoff. They're running a new offense. Their rb is coming off of a horrific leg injury and Bryant Johnson and Charles Lee both dropped potential td's.

After all of that, when you look at the stat sheet, Warner put up 69% and 300+ yards. For "Warner" fans, it's something that is mentionable.

When I was getting updates on the score (I had to Tivo the game since I was covering someone's shift at work) I assumed that Warner was having an awful day. I saw the early part of the game where he fumbled and figured the same just continued. But when I watched the tape, Warner looked pretty solid throughout the day. Even the commentator said something to the effect of: "those who look at the stat's aren't going to realize just how accurate Kurt has been today". And I agree. I'll have to recheck but it seems to me that out of the five red zone trips the Card's made, most of them were only within in the 20 temporarily. The false starts, holding and procedure penalties all backed them out of realistic td opportunities.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I'll have to recheck but it seems to me that out of the five red zone trips the Card's made, most of them were only within in the 20 temporarily. The false starts, holding and procedure penalties all backed them out of realistic td opportunities.
    Looking at NFL.com's play by play, the only red zone trip that had a penalty was the last.

Trip 1 - Stalled at the Rams 11. No penalties.
    Trip 2 - Got as far as the Rams 4, fumble and Warner sack took them back to the 8. No penalties.
    Trip 3 - Went to the Rams 8 but Warner was sacked back to the 17. No red zone penalties.
    Trip 4 - Last drive, penalty to end the game.

So it doesn't look like Warner got them into the red zone and then offensive line penalties took them out. If anything, the inability to protect Warner as well as Warner's fumble played roles in stalling in the red zone. I'm sure the lack of a quality running game played a part as well. As Ram fans, we can all relate to these kind of problems.

To Warner's credit, he was lights out in the fourth quarter against our soft defense. He took advantage of what he saw and did very well. That said, fumbling the ball three times and turning it over twice without being able to get a touchdown does not equate to a good game for Warner, even if he completed a lot of his passes for a lot of yards.

You claim Warner could have thrown for two TDs had his receivers caught two specific passes. Do you also admit Warner would have had two more picks had Ram defenders finished making plays on the ball? Groce should have had a second pick which turned into a Fitzgerald catch, and I think it may have been Corey Ivy or Travis Fisher (but don't quote me on that) who had a shot at an INT and couldn't take advantage.

Like all players, Warner gets credit for what he does well - good completion percentage, some good drives between the 20's, ability to move the ball - but he's also going to shoulder blame for what he does poorly - poor ball protection, turnovers, inability to put points on the board. In my opinion, this translates into a decent but not good game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I admit that there was a dropped interception, which I mentioned in a different post coincidentally, but the pass where Fitz caught the ball rather than the defender I wouldn't chalk up as a "shoulda been".

The Red Zone was definitely a problem yesterday for the Cardinals but what I think we've both illustrated is that predominantly the problems are o-line issues. Warner wasn't missing open receivers in the end zone, throwing picks in the red zone or standing like a deer in the headlights. That's basically my point. Just like in 2003 for the Rams, it took about 3 games before the newly formed o-line started to play like a unit.

Look at Warner's stat's from the first half compared to the second half. The Card's are getting close on offense and by game four they will be in a nice rhythm.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I admit that there was a dropped interception, which I mentioned in a different post coincidentally, but the pass where Fitz caught the ball rather than the defender I wouldn't chalk up as a "shoulda been".
    I didn't see it, so maybe you can offer more insight. But the reaction during the chat as well as from Savard/Snow on the radio broadcast was that Groce should have had the pick right there. It sounded like it went right through his grasp.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

It was definitely a close play. Fitz was running a patented down and in, Warner threw the ball to the spot and Fitz continued on his route, bumped into Groce and stuck his hands out and caught the ball. Groce seemed to wait juuuust a bit, for the ball to get to him and Fitz just made a good play. It was darned close, but it wasn't a bad pass by Warner. Risky? Probably, but when you've got a guy who's been establishing himself like Fitz over the last couple of weeks I think you make the throw and let the receiver do his job.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Talking Re: Face it, folks: Warner's exit was necessary

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    Jesus was persecuted; Warner was benched.
    OMG!

LOL :up:

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I didn't see it, so maybe you can offer more insight. But the reaction during the chat as well as from Savard/Snow on the radio broadcast was that Groce should have had the pick right there. It sounded like it went right through his grasp.
    That's how I would describe it. It went directly through Groce's arms. There was just enough of a hole formed by Groce's arms to fit the ball through and into the receivers arms. In fact, when they showed the play live, I thought Groce picked it off. Once I saw the replay, I couldn't believe he didn't make the pick. It didn't go through his hands, it went through his arms, and between his arms and body. The fact that the receiver made the catch after the ball came literally thorough Groce is amazing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    Its Not That The Guys Dont Support Bulger, Speaking For Myself I Think Bulger Does A Great Job, But Some Of Us Dont Like The Warner Bashing,how Soon You Guys Forget What He Did For The Rams, Something Bulger Has Not Accomplished Yet, But I Believe He Will, And I Am Sure Some Genius Will Say "well Thats In The Past,move On" And Thats True But Respect Warner For What He Did When He Was Here.theres Different Forms Of Loyality,just Because He Plays For Another Team Doesnt Mean We Have To Hate Him.

Well put jk...........they are missing my point on this is all! In not 1 post have i ever staated any thing bad about MB but,some always critize KW! He is a really good guy yet someone always stirs the **** about him! Heck he did in fact help us win a Championship and hopefully MB will too! ...I wonder what would be said if it were MB that was traded?..........It is neither QB's fault at all here! So why cant we as fans just say good game for both of the QB's instead of always having something negative to say on the other?............And IMPO i do belieeve that the Cards might have won the game if they had a few more seconds but, thats just my opinion! I will never root against KW unless the obvious in which then i want to see him do good ,just not win!But, only because im a RAM FAN! Period as is all of us here! So i wished people would quit referring to a Warner fan as being a Cardinal fan!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Personally I'm just happy for the Rams win !!

I could care less about the QB debate between the two teams. IMO it was a fairly even performance by the two QB's considering all the mistakes made by other players from both squads.

I do find it funny how Bulger can have a sub-par performance, during a loss, last week and get very little, if any, criticism from some of you.

The QB from the hated whiners got very little criticism last week. Seems most were just content to give the whiners credit.....lol

Anyways, I'm glad this one is out of the way !!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Me too ferter, and if Warner keeps getting hit like he did last Sunday, he won't be the QB when the Cardinals come to the Dome later.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

if thats the case then bulger might not be the qb either, 12 sacks in just 2 games, o-line needs to do a better job, we cant win without bulger.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    ... and if Warner keeps getting hit like he did last Sunday, he won't be the QB when the Cardinals come to the Dome later.
    And that's the shame of it. It never really is about just one person. The way he got pummelled in the pocket was just deja vue all over again ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123