Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

To Be Fair, Linehan Is Not Balanced

I've read some posts lately suggesting that Linehan's offensive style is a "balanced approach."

WRONG!

2007: 404 running plays (39.4%)/622 passing plays (60.6%)
    2006: 424 running plays (39.8%)/641 passing plays (60.2%)

While Mike Martz was even more "pass happy" in his tenure, it was a different type of offense entirely. Martz would use multi-WR formations to spread the defense and, to some extent, set up the run. Linehan, on the other hand, uses more standard formations and (in my opinion) is very predictable as to when he's going to run the ball.

Either way, anyone who perceives Linehan as running some kind of ball control running offense really has a misperception.

moloch41 Guest

Re: To Be Fair, Linehan Is Not Balanced

Maybe they're talking about an "Unbalanced Line" because of all the tightends.

Seriously tho- I agree with you. I think besides for being predictable in the running game, he also leaves TEs in to block a lot in the passing game, which leaves only 2 recievers out in patterns. I know everyone is saying that it was because of the offensive line injuries, but considering the amount of sacks our QBs got battered with this season, maybe his plan to leave one of the best pass-catching TEs to block most of the time didn't have it's desired effect. But then again, why make adjustments?

Mooselini Guest

hmm. i think both are right. Linehan made his formations so predictable, I could point them out and say what would happen and point out the flaws.

Linehan did utilize his TEs as blockers, mainly because we didnt have an OL. HOWEVER, that took the number of receivers we could use and we would be limited to 2 (3 at most) receivers on the field. thats easy for a defense to cover and prevent.

We didnt run much. WHY? i dunno at all really. hopefully Jackson and his RB coach will step it up and bring it up at a meeting or something.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've read some posts lately suggesting that Linehan's offensive style is a "balanced approach."

WRONG!

2007: 404 running plays (39.4%)/622 passing plays (60.6%)
    2006: 424 running plays (39.8%)/641 passing plays (60.2%)

While Mike Martz was even more "pass happy" in his tenure, it was a different type of offense entirely. Martz would use multi-WR formations to spread the defense and, to some extent, set up the run. Linehan, on the other hand, uses more standard formations and (in my opinion) is very predictable as to when he's going to run the ball.

Either way, anyone who perceives Linehan as running some kind of ball control running offense really has a misperception.
    AV,
    First let me start by saying I'm not a Linehan backer, but I do want to defend the balanced approach of Linehan.
    60/40 not far from being a balanced offense, alot closer than the old regime.
    Please keep in mind that this team suffered a lot of injuries, which alter the game plans on a weekly basis. Also the tendiencies in the NFL suggest when your behind on the scoreboard in the later part of games,( which the Rams were) you will see teams going to the air with more urgency thus taking you out of the balance that one might have tried to establish earlier in the game.

Now the point on Linehan being predictable, well there is just no defending that. Your on the money with that.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Hey avenger is there anyway you can break down the games to see if we were behind and had to throw. If i recall we were down alot this year and last year and 60/40 isnt that bad a ratio. Do you know what the league average is? Were your expecting a complete 50/50 run to pass?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The fact that the numbers are almost identical from 2006 to 2007 indicates to me that its not a situational thing.

As for the ratios being a big change from the Martz offense... again, a misconception:

2005: 380 rushing attempts (37.1%); 645 passing attempts (62.9%)
    2004: 381 rushing attempts (37.7%); 630 passing attempts (62.3%)
    2003: 411 rushing attempts (39.0%); 643 passing attempts (61.0%)

Only a small % change overall.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

60/40 not far from being a balanced offense, alot closer than the old regime.
    Mike Martz' ratio as Rams' play caller - 59.8% pass, 40.2% rush

But don't ever let the truth get in the way of a good Martz bash.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

HUb and Av, you both know that you could portray these stats on a weekly basis and still folks would say that Martz didn't run the ball enough.

Those same folks will also say that Martz inherited the Rams team he so called "destroyed", even though I post my what Martz did for the Rams that helped out Vermeil on a quarterly basis. I used to on a monthly basis but it just didn't seem to to soak in so I reverted to once a quarter.

Anyway, I am so happy we got rid of a coach who took us to the playoffs 4 out of 5 1/2 years in STL with a coach who has won 11 in 2 years.

mdram Guest

"Anyway I am so happy we got rid of a coach who took us to the playoffs 4 out of 5 1/2 years in STL with a coach who has won 11 in 2 years"

Yes, but at least we don have as much tension in the organizaton now, and thank god for that.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Anyway, I am so happy we got rid of a coach who took us to the playoffs 4 out of 5 1/2 years in STL with a coach who has won 11 in 2 years.
    It's not his fault!!!

Yea, I hated those heated arguments between Holt and Martz didn't you?

lol

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post

Yes, but at least we don have as much tension in the organizaton now, and thank god for that.

Yeah....you're not exactly tense if you've flat-lined.:x

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Yea, I hated those heated arguments between Holt and Martz didn't you?

lol
    Well, since this has turned into a Martz thread, how about those heated arguments between Turley and Martz where lives were threatened, or Warner screaming at Martz while coming to the sidelines after having to call a timeout because the play wasn't sent in fast enough, or Bulger throwing his hands up in the air and glaring at the sideline for the same thing, or Jackson fuming at Martz during games, or Martz defending Larry Marmie week after week, or Martz trying to sneak plays into the booth after being told to stay away, or Martz being the subject of "throat slashing" voice mails, or the Martz fueds with Shawgmunt, or......

Yeah, those were the days!!

Well....since you put it that way....

lol

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Well, since this has turned into a Martz thread, how about those heated arguments between Turley and Martz where lives were threatened, or Warner screaming at Martz while coming to the sidelines after having to call a timeout because the play wasn't sent in fast enough, or Bulger throwing his hands up in the air and glaring at the sideline for the same thing, or Jackson fuming at Martz during games, or Martz defending Larry Marmie week after week, or Martz trying to sneak plays into the booth after being told to stay away, or Martz being the subject of "throat slashing" voice mails, or the Martz fueds with Shawgmunt, or......

Yeah, those were the days!!
    Yea, Mike, playing in January will do that to a team. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about that anymore.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-14-2008, 05:55 PM