RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fair objects to Rams placing him on the injured reserve list

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/17/2005

Rams cornerback Terry Fair says he was surprised and disappointed to be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list Dec. 8. Fair told the Post-Dispatch he had been cleared medically to play before being placed on IR. He wants to continue playing next year, whether it's in St. Louis or elsewhere.

"That's all I'm saying," Fair said. "And that's what I would really like to be heard. I'm going to be fine. This is something that will be pass. And I'm ready and healthy."

Fair also took umbrage over comments made by interim head coach Joe Vitt last week suggesting that Fair's neck injury was career-threatening.

"It's nothing that's going to be career-threatening," Fair said. "I'm as healthy as I've been in a long time."

Last week, in discussing the decision to place Fair on IR because of the neck problems, Vitt told reporters: "It's very serious if he wants to play again. He's going to really have to determine what he wants to do - what's in his best interest and the best interest of his family. It's very serious."

Fair said he was upset to read those comments from Vitt in the newspaper.

"I was," Fair said. "Just for the simple fact that that stuff is read nationally and everybody's looking at that. I don't think by any means (the injury) is going to be career-ending or career-threatening to me. So I think it was kind of misconstrued a little bit. It's nothing like that. The whole situation was surprising. I'm disappointed that it ended this way."

When informed Friday of Fair's displeasure over being placed on IR, Vitt replied: "That was our decision. And if he has any problem with our decision, come and see me and talk to me. Be a man about it, instead of talking to a reporter first about it."

Fair originally suffered the injury Aug. 29 in the Rams' exhibition game in Detroit. His head snapped back while tackling Lions running back Kevin Jones in the first quarter. Fair went to Ford Hospital in Detroit for precautionary evaluation, but the injury wasn't as severe as it looked.

There was no structural damage, and the injury was described as a strained neck. Fair sat out the Rams' exhibition finale, as well as the first four regular-season contests. He played in only five games, mainly returning kicks on special teams, before being placed on IR.

Despite his complaints about being placed on IR, and the circumstances surrounding it, Fair admitted to having some continuing discomfort with the neck in terms of tingling sensations and numbing sensations. And that led to Fair seek additional tests, before the decision was made to place him on IR.

"I just wanted to go see what it was, because it's something that's been lingering on, and I've been playing with anyway," Fair said. "So I just wanted to make sure. ... Everything came back negative."

So Fair was ready to play the final four games of the season, starting last Sunday in Minnesota, before being placed on IR.

"I just wanted to finish it out," Fair said. "I came this far. I know you don't want to do stupid things, but I felt as if I could go out here and play these last four games, do whatever I could do to help the team out in any way I could."

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: Fair objects to Rams placing him on the injured reserve list

Admire his will, but I think his play's been more than a little career threatening.

general counsel is offline Registered User

What i object to is having Fair take himself out of punt return duty, the ONE THING he was signed to do, with the game on the line against seattle. That led to the mcdonald fumble, which was the start of this season going down the toilet.

Some balls on this guy. we give him a chance when he is out of football, we stay with him after his preseason injury, he bails on punt return duty, he is TERRIBLE in coverage all year, and now he is complaining? classic modern athelete.

good riddance.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vitt
    "That was our decision. And if he has any problem with our decision, come and see me and talk to me. Be a man about it, instead of talking to a reporter first about it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    I think his play's been more than a little career threatening.
    I think that about sums it up. He won't be on the team next year, anyway.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

As far as I'm concerned, the team does not need a quitter like Terry Fair, who has apparently added malcontent and whiner to his impressive resume.