throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Falcons' coordinator interviews with Rams

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/17/2008

Add another name to the list of offensive coordinator candidates for Scott Linehan's coaching staff.

Hue Jackson, who spent last season with the Atlanta Falcons, has interviewed for the Rams’ coordinator job, according to league sources.

Jackson, 42, was offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons last season. But he did not call plays until head coach Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned to take a college job with Arkansas 13 games into the season.

With Jackson calling plays, the Falcons scored only three points in a 37-3 loss against Tampa Bay on Dec. 16. But they then registered the two highest-scoring totals for the Falcons in ’07: 27 points in a 30-27 overtime loss at Arizona, and 44 points in a 44-41 season-ending victory at Seattle.

Jackson was wide receivers coach for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2004-06. His other NFL coaching experience was with the Washington Redskins. He was offensive coordinator for Steve Spurrier there in ’03, calling plays in a handful of games. Jackson was running backs coach for the Redskins in ’01 and ’02.

Rams coach Scott Linehan interviewed Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, a former Rams assistant under Mike Martz, for the coordinator’s job over the weekend in St. Louis.

Linehan also has talked to a pair of recently-fired NFL head coaches -- Brian Billick (Baltimore) and Cam Cameron (Miami) -- about the job, but not in a formal interview setting.

jkramsfan Guest

Re: Falcons' coordinator interviews with Rams

I would really like to see us hire a true offensive coordinator,not someone who was line coach,ST coach,DB coach,QB coach,gatorade bucket coach,but a full fledged offensive coor.,someone who doesn't have to learn his new job.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I dont really find anything great about him, then again he did lead the falcons to their highest scoring games of '07. I would still rather have cameron, but it doesnt look good so im going to say that we have a good chance ending up with Zampese, which im fine with. I really dont want anything to do with the falcons.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I really don't care for this idea. It sounds like he has limited experience calling plays, and I don't particularly recall the Redskins under Spurrier being a high octane offense.

Tony Soprano Guest

We're scraping the bottom if we are scavenging the jobless Falcons coaching staff.

No thanks.

BigGameMN Guest

Since it's original posting this article has been expanded to mention some stuff about the LA meeting. Here is the longer version:

Add another name to the list of Rams offensive coordinator candidates. Hue Jackson, who spent last season with the Atlanta Falcons, has interviewed for the Rams' coordinator job.

Rams coach Scott Linehan said Thursday that he interviewed Jackson earlier this week in Los Angeles. So far, Jackson and Cincinnati Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese are the only offensive coordinator candidates that Linehan has interviewed formally.

"I'm still considering a couple other guys, too," Linehan said.

An additional interview or two might take place either before or during Senior Bowl week. Linehan is scheduled to leave Sunday for the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala.

Linehan also has spoken by phone with several other potential coordinator candidates, including recently fired head coaches Brian Billick (Baltimore) and Cam Cameron (Miami), as well as Norm Chow, who was recently fired as offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans.

But talks with any of those three haven't advanced to the formal interview stage. Linehan indicated that Cameron and Billick were not in a hurry to commit to another job just yet.

"I've been impressed with the guys I've talked to," Linehan said.

Jackson, 42, was offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007. He did not call plays, however, until head coach Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned to take a college job with Arkansas 13 games into the season.

With Jackson calling plays, the Falcons scored only three points in a 37-3 loss against Tampa Bay on Dec. 16. But they then registered the two highest-scoring point totals of the season for the Falcons, with 27 points in a 30-27 overtime loss at Arizona, and 44 points in a 44-41 season-ending victory at Seattle.

Jackson was wide receivers coach for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2004-06. His other NFL coaching experience came with the Washington Redskins. He was offensive coordinator for Steve Spurrier there in 2003, calling plays in a handful of games. Jackson was running backs coach for the Redskins in 2001 and 2002.

Linehan interviewed Bengals quarterbacks coach Zampese, a former Rams assistant under Mike Martz, for the coordinator's job over the weekend in St. Louis.

The new coordinator would replace Greg Olson, who is in career limbo. Olson has been informed that he will not be the Rams' offensive coordinator next season. The Rams may re-assign him to another staff position, but Olson also has been told he's free to look around for another job.

Linehan also fired offensive line coach Paul Boudreau. On Thursday, Linehan said he foresees no other staff changes but indicated that's not set in stone.

Linehan returned to St. Louis late Thursday afternoon after spending parts of four days in Los Angeles meeting with team president John Shaw and president of football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt. Linehan also had dinner in LA with Chip Rosenbloom, the son of ailing Rams owner Georgia Frontiere.

Speaking of the summit meeting in general, Linehan said, "We identified the problems. Now, we've got to find some solutions."

Assessing the team's performance in the just-completed 3-13 season was the first part of the summit meeting, Linehan said. Next came a discussion of the coaching staff's performance this season.

Third, there was a discussion of player personnel in terms of team needs, potential free agents and the draft.

One other major topic of discussion in LA, according to Linehan, was how to draft players. That issue has not been resolved and will require further discussion, Linehan said. As the 2007 season wound down, there was speculation that Linehan's say over the draft might be reduced, and also that vice president of personnel Tony Softli's job might be in jeopardy.
    Going into the 3rd year of the Linehan regime and the 21st of Shaw and that great football mind Jay Zygmunt, they are admitting they have no clue how to draft players. Gee, YA THINK? Nice of you guys to finally get around to this issue but I'm sure you'll still screw it up.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Hue Jackson.....forgetaboutit!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Norm Chow, who was recently fired as offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans.
    Why aren't we hearing more of this name?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

and 44 points in a 44-41 season-ending victory at Seattle.
    With all of Seattles defense sitting on the bench.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think people focusing on his time in Atlanta are missing the more impressive stuff on his résumé, namely what he did with the Bengals as a receivers coach. He helped Chad Johnson maintain a level of production that ranks him among the game's best while also helping TJ Houshmandzadeh emerge as a thousand-yard threat as well. Say what you want about his behavior, but Chris Henry also performed well under Jackson as the third receiver. Clearly his lack of play-calling experience is a concern, but everything I've ever heard about Jackson has been that he's a well respected assistant.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Why aren't we hearing more of this name?
    good point,I thought he would be in great demand if available which he is now.He didn't have a whole lot to work with down there,sorry I'm not a big Vince Young supporter,I feel he is very overrated.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

quote "...as well as Norm Chow, who was recently fired as offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans."

I've always liked Chow. He is so experienced and knowledgeable that I think he would be a good fit with the Rams skilled players. He may not view the Rams as a good career move however.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-18-2008, 10:55 AM