RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fame, fortune can lead fools to their demise

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/29/2006

It's sad. It's frightening. It's confusing. It's the story of an athlete who thinks he has the world by the tail but can't see that it's really the other way around. He can't see how twisted this all is, how it's the world that actually has him on a wild ride, spinning him around on a dizzy collision course toward disaster.

You think I'm talking about T.O., don't you?

Well maybe I am. But Terrell Owens isn't the only NFL player with woes. T.O. isn't the only football player who can't see how dysfunctional his life has become and how his obsession with the bright lights of celebrity may be hurling him toward a nightmare of unimaginable proportions.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. But there is another football player out there who better wake up.

We are in a town right now caught in the throes of self-induced sports oblivion. Cardinal Nation mistakes the lightweight silliness of a baseball team in full late-season decline for a bitter and compelling athletic/human drama. I guess that's what ultimately makes sports so much fun.

But sometimes, real life intrudes on the sporting life. You want to know about real athletic/human tragedy?

How about this: a man of infinite athletic talent who is on the verge of reaping a PowerBall-like financial windfall that could alter his entire family's life for the next generation, only he's either too young, too foolish or too troubled to realize he's a lot closer to a disaster than he is to salvation.

Hargrove missed two days of work last week with no excuse. The Rams still don't know the full specifics of what happened to the third-year defensive end the night of Sept. 20, and neither does anyone else. Hargrove insists that it was a personal matter that he wants to keep private.

Well he can talk all he wants about keeping his life private, but I've got news for him: In this town, nothing stays private very long when you're a high-profile athlete. People talk. People gossip. People you think are your friends are really selfish opportunists who will sell you out in a New York minute.

Last week, Hargrove was a starting defensive lineman in the National Football League, playing in a defensive scheme that could turn him into the sort of pass rusher who racks up 10 or more sacks. Now he has been demoted to the scout team and has to find a way to get back on the field. His unexcused absence ultimately could cost him millions of dollars, because he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the season and an unrestricted one in 2008.

Who's going to pay $10 million to a guy they think is unreliable? Who's going to gamble on throwing an enormous signing bonus to a guy who can't pick up the telephone to say he's having personal problems? Who's going to invest that kind of time and money into a guy who spends most of the year on the bench, forever labeled as an irresponsible high risk?

I don't know what Hargrove's problems are, but I do know this: Everyone at Rams Park loves him. He's an extremely affable character who plays the game with boundless passion. Yet people talk, and the buzz around Hargrove is that he needs to check himself before he wrecks himself.

I've seen stories like this a hundred times and in every sport from baseball to hockey, from basketball to the NFL. People making bad choices that destroy them. I see it now, probably more than ever because the money they are paid is so grand, and too many of the athletes are too immature to handle the volatile combination of instant fame and fortune.

The problem for Hargrove is that he's in a business that doesn't have much time for problem children. Last week was a perfect illustration of this. His friends inside that locker room truly were worried about his well being, but life went on without him. A rookie took Hargrove's place. A game was played. A job was lost.

It's time for Hargrove to understand that he's the only one who can steer this story from its potentially tragic path. The best way to do that is to figure out in a hurry who his real friends are and who are the ones that know the difference between a joy ride and a crash.

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Fame, fortune can lead fools to their demise

Sheesh, talk about beating a dead horse. I am happy with the way all parties have handled this. Let's rub a little salt in the recently healing wound...
    This space for rent...

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

He understands his wrong-doing and he's not making any excuses. He's willing to face the consequences for his actions so just give it a rest.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

please excuse my double post.
    Last edited by jjigga3000; -09-29-2006 at 03:28 PM. Reason: double post

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

So let me ask you this Ram Wraith. Let's put you in his shoes. Let's say one of his parents is a drug attic, and they keep hitting him up for money, or what he had a dead beat dad, who now is all of sudden interested in being a dad. Whatever the case may be his personal life is his personel life, he plays football for the Rams, when he signed a contract he promised to do certain things, such as show up for practice, certain community service outings, if he didn't abide he understood the consequences. One thing he didn't sign in his contract, or anyother athlete for that matter, is to have fans, no scratch that nosey fans in the private and personel matters. He know he made a mistake, and he understands the consequences. No one needs to know what the circumstances are that made him miss practice, wether it be trivial or serious. It's none of our business so stop pressing the issue.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Don't shoot the messenger. Wraith is just posting Burwell's lame article.