Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

With fans already losing interest, Rams face a tough test

By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    09/12/2007

Mid-term exams already are underway for the Scott Linehan regime.

Year 2 of his program got off to a miserable start, a 27-13 home-field loss to conference rival Carolina. Now, with the up-and-coming ***** preparing to visit the Edward Jones Dome, Linehan and Co. face a rigorous test.

Here are some of the questions the coaching staff must answer:

* Can the Rams overcome the loss of cornerstone tackle Orlando Pace to season-ending shoulder injuries?

With Todd Steussie also sidelined for at least half the season with a broken foot, the team is scrambling.

The immediate solution was to move Alex Barron to left tackle in Wednesday’s practice. The Rams used Milford Brown at right tackle and worked Adam Goldberg (the emergency fill-in versus Carolina) with the second unit. Claude Terrell, inactive last week, played right guard as Richie Incognito sat out with his ankle sprain.

“We’ll work another combination tomorrow,” Linehan said. “We’ll have two good work days and make a decision Friday.”

Newcomer Brandon Gorin will try to get up to speed ASAP, just in case. Wednesday’s practice went pretty well, from quarterback Marc Bulger’s viewpoint.

“There is no need to panic,” Bulger said. “To lose three (starters), Todd, Richie and Orlando, I’m not going to minimize it. But we have guys who can step in. It’s not like this is a high school team.”

Said Linehan: “It’s senseless to worry. We’ve identified the problem. We have to find the best five offensive linemen for Sunday.”

-* Can Linehan and offensive coordinator Greg Olson get the passing game on track Sunday?

The Rams failed to work downfield with any consistency against the Panthers and tight end Randy McMichael became an afterthought in the passing game.

Perhaps the return of receiver Drew Bennett will make a nice difference. Perhaps the coaches will come up with a better game plan.

“It was definitely poor execution last week on my part,” Bulger said. “I just have to be better.”

* Can the Rams deal with the loss of Claude Wroten to a four-game suspension?

With cornerback Fakhir Brown sidelined for three more games due to his suspension, the beleaguered defense will be missing two key players this week because of off-field issues.

That’s a part of the business, along with injuries, that has become a difficult challenge for us,” Linehan said.

Wroten had a good offseason and positioned himself for a breakout this season. He could have played a HUGE role alternating with La’Roi Glover at defensive tackle.

Now his future in St. Louis is clouded. “I’m disappointed,” Linehan said. “I’m a big believer in Claude. Hopefully this is a temporary setback.”

In the near term, Victor Adeyanju could fill in at defensive tackle on run downs and Louis Leonard, signed off the Chargers practice squad, will provide depth.

It’s conceivable Adam Carriker and Clifton Ryan could play side-by-side on some run downs -– especially with power-running Frank Gore coming in with the *****.

* Can the remaining Rams shore up against the run?

The linebacker corps didn’t shine against Carolina and now Pisa Tinoisamoa is iffy for the ***** games with a bad ankle.

Defensive ends, cornerbacks, safeties . . . everybody has to be ready. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett insists that the Week 1 breakdowns are fixable, but Rams fans heard that all last year, too.

“Same exact stuff,” defensive end Leonard Little said. “That’s why it’s frustrating.”

San Francisco’s powerful running game will provide quite a challenge for this unit. “We’ll have our hands full,” Little said.

This regime is now 8-9 in one-plus years. Rams fans are losing interest, as evidenced by all those unsold tickets.

This team needs to build momentum before hitting a brutal midseason stretch featuring games at Baltimore, Seattle, New Orleans and San Francisco sandwiched around a home game against Cleveland and the bye week.

If the Rams somehow lose at home, again . . . well, it’s best not to think about the dire consequences that could ensue.

“It’s ver

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: With fans already losing interest, Rams face a tough test

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    “It was definitely poor execution last week on my part,” Bulger said. “I just have to be better.”
    This kind of leadership - a willingness to take full responsibility when you weren't at your best and a determination to improve - is exactly what the Rams need right now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This kind of leadership - a willingness to take full responsibility when you weren't at your best and a determination to improve - is exactly what the Rams need right now.
    This statement also shows that leadership:

“There is no need to panic,” Bulger said. “To lose three (starters), Todd, Richie and Orlando, I’m not going to minimize it. But we have guys who can step in. It’s not like this is a high school team.”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Unfortunately the NFL regular season is only 16 games. Not 162, 82, or 80 like MLB, the NBA or the NHL respectively. So every game and player is under the microscope. Especially the skill positions. So yes, Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson had an off day last SUNDAY, it happens, we're just not used it.

Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson know who the guilty parties are concerning last SUNDAYS loss.

I am extremely confident that they will both bounce back to their PRO-BOWL form against the Whiners this Sunday.

:r:l

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

“We’ll work another combination tomorrow,” Linehan said. “We’ll have two good work days and make a decision Friday.”
    This is one of the most bothersome quotes I've heard during this period of.......shall we say, uneasiness bordering on quesiness.

The O-line is not a sum of its 5 parts. It is its own entity. Look at NE, Atl, and Denver over the past few years. None of them had top shelf individuals, but all of them were top shelf units. They became that way from consistency and familiarity with each other and the system. "Two good work days....and a decision on Friday" won't foster that unit.

Don't get me wrong. I understand Linehan is in a tight spot, and I applaude his realistic candor. However, truth be light-shed, the most likely result from "two good work days and a decision" will be missed assignments, negative rushing attempts, and a lot of turf on the back of Bulger's jersey.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The most logical set would be to have Barron and Brown on the end.

Brown worked on the line last week so he is familiar with the calls.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    This is one of the most bothersome quotes I've heard during this period of.......shall we say, uneasiness bordering on quesiness.

However, truth be light-shed, the most likely result from "two good work days and a decision" will be missed assignments, negative rushing attempts, and a lot of turf on the back of Bulger's jersey.
    I agree. The O-line is a very important to any teams success and I feel a decision should be made quickly and then that group work together the rest of the week to get ready. IMO, mixing and matching is not a good thing. I know there is the risk of a quick decision if it is wrong, but the rewards are a lot higher than that same decision being made on Friday.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Question is can the Rams adapt and overcome. So much focus is placed on individual players but little attention is placed on the UNITs themselves. Great post to point out that Denver/New England happen to make do with what they got left. If Linehand is a head coach, he ought to make do with what is availible and still Win. Perhaps this is what makes an employeed head coach and an unemployeed one.

It might be but one game and perhaps it was just a bad start; I can't fathom the logic since to be playing at this leave it ought to be an "A" game effort every time one steps on the field. Still I hope I am wrong big time but it looked like the Rams took a step backward and not forward. Still if the Rams win this week great but the real test is Baltimore/New Orleans. If the Rams can at least be credible against baltimore and beat New Orleans, then the Rams are for real. Of course beating the SeaHawks is an ABSOLUTE must for no other reason to establish dominance.

blood85 is offline Registered User

They better adapt (the rams) this sunday, the #######are coming to town.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

The O-line is not a sum of its 5 parts. It is its own entity. Look at NE, Atl, and Denver over the past few years. None of them had top shelf individuals, but all of them were top shelf units. They became that way from consistency and familiarity with each other and the system. "Two good work days....and a decision on Friday" won't foster that unit.

Don't get me wrong. I understand Linehan is in a tight spot, and I applaude his realistic candor. However, truth be light-shed, the most likely result from "two good work days and a decision" will be missed assignments, negative rushing attempts, and a lot of turf on the back of Bulger's jersey.

Concur. But who ever called last week's game should be shot. It was so bad I had to leave @ 10-7. SJ looked great in the first 24 mins. I saw no creativity or adjustments after they started to penetrate our line. Bulger may have played poorly but the HC cost us that game with his play calling.

Pitiful!

Someone shine some light on me if I am off base here.

I may be pulling for the 'Bolts this year until I see some commitment other than my emotions. Linehag never had our team "UP" for the dreaded ****** last season so I am realistically not very optimistic. Though a win could change my tune in a hurry

Geaux RAMS!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

BayArea408Niner is offline Registered User

You guys are already losing interest? "Same ol sorry #$@ Lambs"

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BayArea408Niner View Post
    You guys are already losing interest? "Same ol sorry #$@ Lambs"

Tell what do you have to smile about? Your whiners have been the or one of the biggest losing teams this decade

Playoffs have been nothing but a very distant and buried memory for your team.

I hope it stays that way for the don't drop your keys in the Bay area playas!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone View Post
    Tell what do you have to smile about? Your whiners have been the or one of the biggest losing teams this decade

Playoffs have been nothing but a very distant and buried memory for your team.

I hope it stays that way for the don't drop your keys in the Bay area playas!
    I can smile at the fact that we're 1-0 with a division win. I can smile about the fact that Frank Gore and the rest of the offense struggled for 57 minutes of the game and we still won, that wouldn't have happened last year or the year before. I can smile at our revamped defense holding Boldin and Fitzgerald to a combined 42 yards. And I can smile about Nolan's 3-1 record vs the Rams, with the one loss being a game we really should've won.

What can you smile about? The thumping you took from the Panthers? The loss of Pace for the season? Steven Jackson's 2 fumbles? Your 0-1 record? Your starting CBs out for this game?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BayArea408Niner View Post
    I can smile at the fact that we're 1-0 with a division win. I can smile about the fact that Frank Gore and the rest of the offense struggled for 57 minutes of the game and we still won, that wouldn't have happened last year or the year before. I can smile at our revamped defense holding Boldin and Fitzgerald to a combined 42 yards. And I can smile about Nolan's 3-1 record vs the Rams, with the one loss being a game we really should've won.

What can you smile about? The thumping you took from the Panthers? The loss of Pace for the season? Steven Jackson's 2 fumbles? Your 0-1 record? Your starting CBs out for this game?

The battery chucking myopia you have is even blinding me. Come on man your team did look like crap and played a team that gets picked every year to do something and then does exactly what they did against SF, finds a way to lose. As for the thumping we took, you actually think they will play that bad again. Dont come spewing your Clements and Harris will shut down Bruce and Holt crap either because it's weak. Lienart is no where near as skilled as Bulger. Also if your d doesnt get a pass rush on Bulger he will pick your secondary apart I dont care who is covering Holt and Bruce. So stay overly confident in your team, and pray the injuries we have will be anadvantage for your team, you'll need it.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    The battery chucking myopia you have is even blinding me. Come on man your team did look like crap and played a team that gets picked every year to do something and then does exactly what they did against SF, finds a way to lose. As for the thumping we took, you actually think they will play that bad again. Dont come spewing your Clements and Harris will shut down Bruce and Holt crap either because it's weak. Lienart is no where near as skilled as Bulger. Also if your d doesnt get a pass rush on Bulger he will pick your secondary apart I dont care who is covering Holt and Bruce. So stay overly confident in your team, and pray the injuries we have will be anadvantage for your team, you'll need it.

Correction: Our offense looked like crap. The defense looked great and kept us in it all night. You hope we can get a pass rush? With 2 of your starting OL out and with Greg Manusky sending 6 or 7 guys at Lienart a lot of the time, I'm expecting a great pass rush.

And is it really weak to say that Clements and Harris can shut down Holt and Bruce a week after holding Boldin and Fitz to 42 total yards combined? Holt is better than both of those guys but both of those guys are better than Bruce, at least at this point in his career.

We basically shut you guys down the entire 2nd half in last year's game in St. Louis only to have you guys drive down the field for the winning score, but now our defense is MUCH better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast