Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sjacksonrules
  • 1 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER

Thread: Fans Asked to Vote on Throwback Game

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Fans Asked to Vote on Throwback Game

By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
    Posted Jun 14, 2011

Once again in 2011, the Rams will celebrate their storied past by wearing the yellow and blue throwback jerseys that were a part of so many landmark victories and worn by even more of the game’s greats.

And for the first time, they are asking you, the fans, to take part in deciding the game in which you’d like to see the Rams sporting the uniforms they wore from 1973-1999. Starting this morning, fans can log on to the team’s Twitter site (@StLouisRams) and vote for the game they’d like to see the throwbacks.

In addition, one fan will be rewarded for his or her vote with a prize package that includes leading the team on to the field for the winning game.

“We wanted to find a way to engage our fans and give them a voice on which game the club wears our throwback uniforms,” Kevin Demoff, the Rams chief operating officer/vice president of football operations, said. “The reason to wear the throwbacks is to celebrate the Club’s history and our fans are an important part of that history. What better way to recognize our fans’ passion for our team past and present than to give them the opportunity to select the game we wear our throwback jersey?”

According to league rules, teams must wear any throwback uniforms within the first 10 weeks of the season. The team has chosen three options in the allotted time frame – home games against Baltimore on Sept. 25, Washington on Oct. 2 and New Orleans on Oct. 30.

To vote, fans can simply log on to the team’s Twitter page at St. Louis Rams (STLouisRams) on Twitter. Once there, click the follow button and send a tweet to the account by starting your message by typing @StLouisRams.

After entering the club’s name, choose which game you’d like to see the throwbacks worn as well as an explanation of why you’d like to see the jerseys at that particular contest.

Fans are also encouraged to place the hashtag - #RamsThrowback – on each vote so that other fans can keep tabs on how the voting is going.

Voting will close at 5 p.m. on June 22. At that time, the game with the most votes will be chosen and one voter for the team that wins will be randomly selected to win a jersey, two tickets to the game and lead the Rams onto the field before it begins.

Each opponent comes with a bit of history relating to the Rams.

- The Redskins are one of the Rams’ oldest opponents in a series dating to 1937 when the Rams were playing in Cleveland. The Rams claimed the NFL Championship with a 15-14 win against the Redskins on Dec. 16, 1945.

- The Ravens play in Baltimore, former home of the Colts. From 1953 to 1971, Carroll Rosenbloom owned the Baltimore Colts. In 1972, he completed a historic swapping of franchises with Robert Irsay. Irsay received control of the Colts while Rosenbloom assumed majority ownership of, you guessed it, the Rams.

- The Rams and Saints have a rivalry dating to their days together in the old incarnation of the NFC West Division before the divisions were re-shuffled in 2002. The clubs have met 69 times in their history with the Rams holding a 38-31 edge.

There's really nothing to talk about lately so if you guys have a Twitter (which I doubt many of you would), what game you want the Rams to wear throwbacks. We can't do it in road games but I personally would prefer we're allowed to wear them there. I'm in for it during the Saints game, it'll bring back a lot of memories back when they've played in the NFC West.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Fans Asked to Vote on Throwback Game

Eagles game due to the bash.
    AlphaRam likes this.

RAMpage28 is offline Registered User

I wish they would wear the blue and white from 64-72. That would be cool. I say they should wear them when they face the giants in prime time so everybody can see the awesome throwbacks.
    Last edited by RAMpage28; -06-18-2011 at 02:12 AM.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

The indiginous persons. They are sucking right now. Let's lay it on 'em.
    "The horror"

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

The Ravens or Saints would be my vote. I think the Ravens game will be fun since they have a young up and coming team as well. They're a few years ahead of the Rams, but they don't have Sam Bradford

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I voted for the saints son!!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'm a little surprised at the response, to be honest. Throwback uni's reflect a time in history that takes you back to a historical time and place for the Rams, and I've seen votes for the Ravens and Saints which puzzles me. Ravens and Saints? The history with those teams is just a spot on the history map. It must be against a team with a real history, like the Whiners, or an older NFL team like the Giants. The Rams history goes back long before the Aints were even a team. And the Ravens? Nah.

When I see those uni's I think of the Rams in playoffs days of LA against the Giants, Cowboys and Vikings. Since we don't play the Vikings this year, I'd have to say the Cowboys, Redskins, Whiners or Giants. Packers would be fun as well. Sorry, I'm an old Rams fan, and when I think history, I never think of history as anything in Stl. That's still recent history to me, even though they won the SB in those uni's (thank goodness). The new Georgia blue and gold colors say; "Stl", the old blue and yellow and blue and white are LA. So, if they're wearing the blue and yellow, I think of playoff games in the LA Coliseum and their opponents of that era.
    ramsanddodgers likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    It must be against a team with a real history, like the Whiners, or an older NFL team like the Giants. The Rams history goes back long before the Aints were even a team. And the Ravens? Nah.
    I feel the same, hoever they did not give us this option so Saints would be the pick if I had a choice...
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -06-19-2011 at 10:28 PM.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Blue and whites vs Minnesota. My earliest memory of watching a Rams game on tv was hearing the announcer say "there's Snow in the left corner" and, my being a California kid, I was looking for snow in the left corner of my tv screen... well, a different kind of 'snow' than what was provided by the rabbit ears (before color tv's, too).
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I wish it'd be the Eagles game, as jacksonrules mentioned, for the bash. Save that game, I'd go for the Saints game as that one has the most chance at being a nationally aired game. Skins will certainly be regional, and I dunno about the Ravens game as CBS may highlight an AFC battle as opposed to an AFC/NFC one. By the end of October, the playoff picture will just be starting to be talked about and that one could end up being a tiebreaking game for seeds.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I wish it'd be the Eagles game, as jacksonrules mentioned, for the bash. Save that game, I'd go for the Saints game as that one has the most chance at being a nationally aired game. Skins will certainly be regional, and I dunno about the Ravens game as CBS may highlight an AFC battle as opposed to an AFC/NFC one. By the end of October, the playoff picture will just be starting to be talked about and that one could end up being a tiebreaking game for seeds.
    I like your thinking Teke!!! Never thought about this but would like to see a nationally televised game on TV without watching it steaming online

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

UPDATE

After a week of voting, Rams fans have spoken and emphatically selected the October 30 game against New Orleans to wear their throwback jerseys.

The matchup will be a renewal of the old NFC West rivalry as the clubs will meet for the 70th time with the Rams holding a 38-31 advantage.

The Rams are also expected to wear the throwbacks at another contest during the 2011 season though that contest has not yet been determined.
    Woooooooo we get to wear the throwbacks against the Aints, hope some of the GSOT magic is still there.