RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fans have complaints, Rams coaches have answers

By Jeff Gordon
    09/11/2007

Rams coach Scott Linehan, offensive coordinator Greg Olson and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett had a lot of explaining to do after their team keeled over in its season opener.

That 27-13 loss was disastrous on every level, starting with the loss of tackle Orlando Pace for the season and extending to every aspect of the team’s offensive and defensive play.

The special teams were great, so we can skip over them.

Here are five of the most common fan complaints and how the coaches responded to them:

1. The Rams staff devised an unimaginative offensive game plan.

Linehan reminded us that Carolina features a dominating defensive front. This group has throttled Steven Jackson before and forced the Rams into a pass-happy offense, which put quarterback Marc Bulger at risk.

“It may not have been the flashiest thing in the world, but it’s to go back there, slinging it, getting four guys out, emptying (the backfield), five wides, when you have a defensive front that can actually ruin a game, which we’ve seen,” Linehan said. “We were executing the plan exactly how we expected to. We should have played better in the second half and didn’t.”

The Rams believed they could bang out some first downs with runs and ball-control passing. Then, after keeping the Panthers defense on the field for a while, the Rams expected to take some shots downfield.

That plan worked for one drive. For a variety of reasons, the offense sputtered after that. The Rams failed to convert Dante Hall’s kick return into a touchdown and then Jackson’s fumbles turned the game to Carolina.

In the end, the Rams were forced out of their plan and into a two-minute offensive scheme.

“I think it’s frustrating for everybody,” Olson said. “At the same time, we had a plan in place. We felt we had a chance to bury them there and we didn’t get it done after the kickoff return. Then the fumbles.”

2. The Rams didn’t use tight end Randy McMichael as a receiver until the game was out of hand.

Olson said that wasn’t the plan. “We had a couple of plays designed for him where he was No. 1 in the progression and he ended up being covered on them,” he said. “That happens at times. Again, in the first half, there were a couple of situations that didn’t happen. We had some things designed in the second half . . . and we ended up in different situations. We would like to use him in the red zone and we end up in a third-and-long situation.

“We couldn’t get into the flow, couldn’t get into a rhythm.”

3. Jackson’s lack of carries during the preseason schedule led to his two costly fumbles.

The coaches shot down that theory. “Steven was ready to play,” Linehan said. “He played very good in the first half. We established a lot more things in the first half than we did a year ago.”

Jackson has never had ball security issues before. “He’s been good in practice, he’s been good when he played in games before,” Linehan said. “He’s a great football player. When great football players have a game like that, they come back and play great. That’s what we expect.

4. Quarterback Marc Bulger was terrible in this game.

“I can call ‘em better and he can, I’m sure he feels today, like he could have played better,” Olson said. “Marc is a competitor and an elite quarterback in this league and Marc will continue to get better. I don’t have a problem with Marc Bulger.”

5. The Rams' front seven collapsed against the rush during the second half.

Haslett didn’t believe the team quit. Rather, players got frustrated and tried to make heroic plays to get the Panthers off the field. As a result, Carolina broke big runs at crucial points in the second half.

“They kind of methodically picked us apart in the third quarter,” Haslett said. “I thought we got frustrated in the fourth quarter, which disappointed me. We’re still in the game. It’s 8:33, it’s 17-13, we’re still in the game, got a chance to get off the field with a punt or a long field goal -– and that’s when we broke contain twice on those two runs and they went down and scored. That sequence disappointed me as much as anything.”

Overall, Haslett said, “They had about nine plays that got outside that we weren’t really good on the edge. It was a number of different people. A couple of times it was the end, two times it was the safety, linebacker once. Actually, we were really good inside. We played the inside run good, which was our problem area last year. The stuff we screwed up yesterday is correctable. We can fix that stuff. It’s just being disciplined, holding your gap responsibility. As the game wore on, we didn’t do a very good job of it.”

So there you have the coaches’ take. We’re not sure it makes you feel any better, but at least they got their say.

Now let’s see what they do about all the problems that arose in this fiasco.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Fans have complaints, Rams coaches have answers

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jeff Gordon
    09/11/2007

Rams coach Scott Linehan, offensive coordinator Greg Olson and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett had a lot of explaining to do after their team keeled over in its season opener.

That 27-13 loss was disastrous on every level, starting with the loss of tackle Orlando Pace for the season and extending to every aspect of the team’s offensive and defensive play.

The special teams were great, so we can skip over them.

Here are five of the most common fan complaints and how the coaches responded to them:

1. The Rams staff devised an unimaginative offensive game plan.

Linehan reminded us that Carolina features a dominating defensive front. This group has throttled Steven Jackson before and forced the Rams into a pass-happy offense, which put quarterback Marc Bulger at risk.

“It may not have been the flashiest thing in the world, but it’s to go back there, slinging it, getting four guys out, emptying (the backfield), five wides, when you have a defensive front that can actually ruin a game, which we’ve seen,” Linehan said. “We were executing the plan exactly how we expected to. We should have played better in the second half and didn’t.”
    and.....................I'm waiting...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haslett
    We can fix that stuff.
    Not this line again. All that's missing is "shoot".

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Does this cross you guys as "Fans have complaints, Rams have excuses"? I hope it's just me...this doesn't really make me go "oh good thinking, now I see why we called WR screens on 3rd and longs..."

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Trauman said it best..."THE BUCK STOPS HERE." Amasing how often this quote is used, abused, or just ignored.

FACT: Coaches/coordinators are the generals, skilled possitions the officers, and the rest the troops. How many battles where lost due to the troops? How many battles lost because of bad officers? Forevery example, where the troops and officers were responsibile, I can point to 10 where it was the generals at fault. Did the offensive line plan the game? Did the defense make the draft picks? Was the special teams encharge of free agency?

It sounds like a lot of scape goating. Truth sometimes a bad call--a bad break can cost a team a game--it happens. Not in this case. It sickens me to see the Rams beaten like this. The talent of this years team at least on paper if top caliber. There is no issue like with Green Bay where there is a lack of depth in the reciever core, or a question of quarterbacks like with Oakland. The Rams have all the pieces to make a CONTENDER.

What is truely needed is for the front office to sit Mr Linnhand down and make a real accounting on the condition of the team and express to him how disappointed their are with last weeks result. Perhaps a little doubt as to his future and tenure with the Rams will in the words of my favorite movie villian, "Find New ways to Motivate them." (Darth Vader)

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Trauman said it best..."THE BUCK STOPS HERE." Amasing how often this quote is used, abused, or just ignored.
    Or to quote Pogo....
    We have met the enemy, and he is us!
    We, and the coaches, can do nothing about last Sunday's fiasco. Al we can do is call it a lesson learned, regroup, and see what happens this Sunday.
    And hope that a trend doesn't emerge.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Country is offline Registered User

As long as they learn form these mistakes and fix them for the next game then it is fine. The ***** looked terrible on Monday night and if we can't walk over them then everyone go get your draft magazines.

blood85 is offline Registered User

I don't know alot of what happened last week against caroline, but I do know that the ******* are not going to take it easy on us, so we better bring it or not even show up. Also, in a different post somebody stated about how 1300 or so tickets were still left for the game,.....Seriously guys, who cares?? It's probably the same lame, fake, stl fans who were always "fairweather" fans and not real Rams fans....Probably the same people who sold their tickets to Bears fans or Chefs fans last season. Is this our team or not? I support them no matter what. Lets get ready for the ######## and beat the living daylights out of them.