Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Fans Need to Get a Clue

I'm kind of getting sick of the element of whining fans with their "This organization doesn't get it" malarkey. This is the same Organization that put those great teams together, that made deals for Marshall Faulk and Aneas Williams, that kept Bruce and Faulk and Pace and Holt and Little and other key players from getting into free agency.

EVERY team has ups and downs. Where the Comboys a sorry organization in the first few years before they started winning big under Jerry Jones? And what price did they pay for ignoring cap limitations, that put them AND the Niners in cap hell for half a decade ?

Are the Patriots going nuts getting these high paid guys? They let BOTH starting corners go, and even tested Randy Moss' true willing ness to play for a reasonable number.

The Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Packers, even Seahawks aren't going nuts overpaying this bunch of free agents. Are they also "clueless"

Meanwhile, the Jets are acting like the salary cap is already gone, paying $75 MILLION in guaranteeed money to mostly a bunch of guys past their prime. They will be cutting those same guys in a year or two, mark my words.

They have NO chance to unseat the Pats or really make a push to win it all, not with Chad Pennington as their QB and Thomas Jones their onlyRB.

They are paying HUGE bucks for guards and defensive tackles that probably come off the field half the time, when they have no true superstars at any of the "skill" positions, where teams SHOULD spend the top dollars.

The Saints might again compete to win the South, and maybe Peyton is feeling some pressure to win now, but they aren't going to be a top contender, even with the changes they have made, at least not by the addition of the guys they added.

Guys like Justin Smith, Calvin Pace, ANtuan Odom, Travis LaBoy, are getting what amounts to $500,000 per sack at least. That is nuts.

The Rams BIGGEST need was a kicker, as there was none on the roster at all and they got arguably the best in the league, a guy who is still young, who does more than just kick the easy ones and run off the field on kickoffs rather than tackle someone.

Their second biggest need was interior linemen, someone that had been a solid starter that fits their offense. Bell was the best guy other than Faneca, and Bell perhaps fits better and has more versatility, and is 4 years younge. They got Bell for a realistic number that won't kill their cap, a deal he might actually finish here.

They still could use a strong safety, a pass rushing LB, a pass rushing DE, a backup OT and veteran C, and a speedy young slot WR.

You can get those guys in other ways than overpriced reaching in FA.
    You can make smart trades, like the Pats did to get Wes Welker ( how great would a guy like THAT be here)

Many times that stuff doesn't happen until close to the draft, even draft day
    as teams then know what they MUST get after FA is done, and even some of those needs can be filled after the draft when the inevitable June 1 cuts begin.

It's a 12 month process, what Devaney does, not all based on one overhyped week when everyone goes nuts over other teams' trash.

Just look what Chillar ends up getting. DId anyone here ever love this guy and say do anything to keep him? Some of these guys moving are hearing the same from the fans who really have SEEN them play alot.

I would look at trading for guys like Lito Shepherd, in the right deal, meaning our first and second rounders are not in play.
    it

I think the Rams should look at trading down on draft day if someone offers them a good deal, though I would not drop past sixth overall.

The Rams should be telling everyone that they will take McFadden, so treams looking to make a splash, Oakland and the Jets, both start trying to outdo each other to make a deal.

The guy I would then take is Gholston, by far the most gifted pass rusher in the draft. Then you have at least an extra #2 pick in the top 45, where you can fill another need with a solid sthlete.

Maybe you can deal the extra #2 for a guy like Shepherd then as well.

The Rams have a plan, and just because we don't know it doesn't mean fans can start that whining crap, and call every radio station to act like they actually understand the NFL, the cap or building a team.

Every team makes mistakes, every team hit an occasional homer, and you hope their plan is sond enough to hit more out of the park than have bust out.

Barry Waller

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Fans Need to Get a Clue

Thank you Barry, you are my hero. This boards and others have become unbearable to read with all the moronic posting going on.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I agree with you. Some of the guys on here are kinda upset that players were flying out of the FA. I was like that for a while, but looking into it Daveney is a great mind. He's bringing this team back to life, and I'm excited. I hope to see nothing but the best next year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Great read Barry. Hopefully you slapped some sense/cents into the cry baby fans.

majorram is offline Registered User

Nice to hear from you barry!! great read mate!!

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I personally have not said much about the FA period outside of the fact these guys are getting way overpaid and that we should stay out of that mess,but I will defend the fans that want to complain for whatever reason they think,they have every right to do so weather they make sense or not.it goes back to the old saying if you don't want to listen turn the channel,if you don't want to read it turn the page. having said this I think your post is very true and that the Rams do have a plan and fans should give it a chance but if for some reason they want to voice there opinion go right ahead.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I understand what Barry is saying maybe I'm just frustrated with recent drafts and acquisitions like Bennett, Duncan, 5 million TE's.....

Ramer is offline Registered User

Great post Barry, I could say it any better.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Whining about the fans is better than whining about the Rams. Got it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Whining about the fans is better than whining about the Rams. Got it.
    Maybe, Mok, but isn't there some validity to the idea that fans (myself, chief of sinners) don't know item 1 about what it takes to build a team?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Packers, even Seahawks aren't going nuts overpaying this bunch of free agents. Are they also "clueless"
    The Seahawks always overpay- usually for our old defensive guys. As for the rest, they draft a whole lot better than the Rams do. And you've mentioned Faulk and Williams- after them what was the last good trade/free agent pickup the Rams got? Witherspoon? Who else? What has this team done in the last 5 or 6 yrs that makes you confident they can get it right?

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe, Mok, but isn't there some validity to the idea that fans (myself, chief of sinners) don't know item 1 about what it takes to build a team?
    Speak for yourself Hub. Devaney just called me to ask what the Rams next move should be. LOL Let's all enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

(Well put Barry.)

RamWraith is offline Registered User

great post, great read...nice to have a breath of fresh air!! You are my hero ;-)

rampower is offline Registered User

I basically said in the bruce thread that I wont moan about our off season exploits this year (who they pick up, draft, let go or replace) until I actually see what they produce on the field, as a team. Rome was not built in a day.

Love this post, a voice of reason; Great stuff.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

They still could use a strong safety, a pass rushing LB, a pass rushing DE, a backup OT and veteran C, and a speedy young slot WR.
    Well, at least he agrees with some of us skeptics. lol

I don't know, I do have a tendency to overreact sometimes (imagine that) but isn't "fan" short for "fanatic"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast