throwback week



Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 102
  1. #1
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Alton, Il. USA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    910
    Rep Power
    25

    Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Now that Steven Jackson is coming in, soon to sign a long term deal with the Rams, fans who were quick to choose sides, mostly because of some stuff Jackson, not known to keep silent about something he feels, said the last couple of years, should get behnd him.

    Sure, fans not used to losing are sensitive to what players say, but most of what Jackson said was not really untrue, and the guy has not failed to give 100% on the field and in practice, and is universally respected and liked by his teammates.

    He's the face of the franchise, and a guy upon whom the Rams immediate future depends. Yes, he has missed camp and what will be three pre-season games, but he has the same number of carries as LaDainian Tomlinson gets every pre-season.

    No fan would even want Jackson to carry the ball in August. Those legs and shoulders need to be 100% when it counts. Jackson is presumably in great shape, and he had his playbook with him, as well as a whole off-season of learning the offense in his head.

    If Jackson has a big year, this holdout will soon be forgotten, except by fans who will look for any reason to hate on #39. Those same fans no doubt had no problem welcoming Orlando Pace back after each of his holdouts, which is not equal treatment for all.

    Had Jackson stayed out another 48 hours, maybe the opener would have been in jeopardy, but he's in, and should be ready to rock against the Eagles and beyond, if he stays healthy.

    Of course, if Jackson gets a leg injury from a 350 pound tackle falling on his knee it will be blamed on the holdout, which is of course nonsense.

    What Jackson has missed was PRACTICE, and I kind of agree with Allen Iverson as to the validity of the idea that tons of practice is all that crucial for a star.

    Barry Waller

  2. #2
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,871
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Nice read, Barry!

  3. #3
    moloch41 Guest

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    If Jackson has a big year, this holdout will soon be forgotten, except by fans who will look for any reason to hate on #39. Those same fans no doubt had no problem welcoming Orlando Pace back after each of his holdouts, which is not equal treatment for all.
    And conversely, if he has a bad year, he's going to get slammed unmercifully.

  4. #4
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    For once I agree with moloch, in that if he has a bad year it will and possibly should be attributed to his holdout and less of a hunger due to his new contract.

    However, as Barry pointed out, if he happens to get injured while fighting for more yards or because he gets sat on, the contract means nothing in regard to that.

    It's all about context!

  5. #5
    BM_Face's Avatar
    BM_Face is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    44
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Nice post Barry. I really don't have to forgive Jackson since I don't feel he hurt the team, but it is so nice to read a solid rational post.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

  6. #6
    moloch41 Guest

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    However, as Barry pointed out, if he happens to get injured while fighting for more yards or because he gets sat on, the contract means nothing in regard to that.
    It's going to depend on the injury. If it's something that even remotely resemebles an injury that resulted from not being in game shape- I still think he hears it from the fans.

  7. #7
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,695
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Its a great post barry, with one big caveat. Your line "Jackson is presumably in great shape." Maybe he is and maybe he isnt. If he is in great "football" shape i think this is a lot different situation. I agree that if a 350 pound guy falls on him the injury has nothing to do with the holdout. However, if it takes him a month to round himself into football shape and he is not at full strength late in the early games, its going to be a different issue. Its not practice per se that i am concerned about, its the conditioning and only time will tell on that point. There are certain types of injuries that are often attributed, rightly or wrongly to fatigue and lets all hope that does not happen in this case.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  8. #8
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    If Jackson has a big year, this holdout will soon be forgotten, except by fans who will look for any reason to hate on #39. Those same fans no doubt had no problem welcoming Orlando Pace back after each of his holdouts, which is not equal treatment for all.
    While I agree that a big year for SJ will wipe the slate clean for all but the most serious haters; I disagree that he and Pace are the same situation.

    SJ - under contract
    Pace - not under contract
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  9. #9
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,312
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    I'm not a Jackson hater by any means. I'm very happy he finally came to his senses.

    My bone of contention as HUbison stated is that he was and is under contract. Holding our team hostage just didn't sit well with me.

    The words presumably, should, and all the ifs don't make me feel any better.

  10. #10
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,067
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    What Jackson has missed was PRACTICE, and I kind of agree with Allen Iverson as to the validity of the idea that tons of practice is all that crucial for a star.
    This is true to some extent, but there is no doubt that Jackson is behind the curve in learning the new system and getting a "feel" for executing it with his teammates, many of which he has never played with.

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    My bone of contention as HUbison stated is that he was and is under contract. Holding our team hostage just didn't sit well with me.
    I certainly don't blame you for feeling that way, but the fact is the owners have long been aware of hold outs, yet choose to do absolutely nothing to address the problem and allow the status quo in negotiations with the NFLPA. As long as they are content to pay lip service to the issue with meaningless penalties, IMO they're more or less inviting players to use it as a bargaining tool.

  11. #11
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I certainly don't blame you for feeling that way, but the fact is the owners have long been aware of hold outs, yet choose to do absolutely nothing to address the problem and allow the status quo in negotiations with the NFLPA. As long as they are content to pay lip service to the issue with meaningless penalties, IMO they're more or less inviting players to use it as a bargaining tool.
    But that is an issue between owners and the NFLPA. Jackson should have enough pride in himself to honor his name (and signature on a contract) regardless of what happens between owners the union.

    The responsibility for Jackson's breach are Jackson's alone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  12. #12
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,871
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Jackson should have enough pride in himself to honor his name (and signature on a contract) regardless of what happens between owners the union.
    Oh come on, HUb. We all know this is how the business works. This is the first and probably the last big money payday Jackson is going to get in his career. Everyone in this business does what's best for them, and rightfully so, because careers can be incredibly short while the consequences can last a lifetime. And like it or not, the holdout is one method a player can utilize - incurring a fine in the process, mind you - to try and leverage for a new deal. Jackson's not the first to do it, and he's not going to be the last either.

  13. #13
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    When Fakir Brown was suspended by the league for missing a testing date he had to sit out for 4 games. During those games he was sorely missed. When he came back, he was our best corner. "Fresh legs" was the phrase bandied about at the time. Probably true too .. What I find confusing is the whole issue of "football shape". Surely practice reps help a player both mentally and physically to learn various plays by rote, but does getting knocked around violently actually render a player more fit? I never played organized football beyond highschool, the college I attended didn't have a fooball program. Having never even played at the college level, I can't rely on personal experience to answer that question. Playing at the NFL level is a level unknown to most of us, so I would think for most of us the question of which trumps which is not an easy answer. The two whiches being 1) fresh legs and not beat up, or 2) Having sustained alot of violent contact and therefore proclaimed in "football shape".

    I personally don't know which is better, as one can make arguments for both. We hear NFL coaches go both ways on this issue, particularly when attempting to put a "bright face" on a situation involviing one of their players.

    So which is better, fresh legs or pounded into fooball shape? Barry ... would you care to weigh in on this one?

  14. #14
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,067
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But that is an issue between owners and the NFLPA. Jackson should have enough pride in himself to honor his name (and signature on a contract) regardless of what happens between owners the union.

    The responsibility for Jackson's breach are Jackson's alone.
    That's true and I understand the morality of a signed contract, but IMO the owners are sending a mixed message to players by basically looking the other way and saying with a wink, "Don't hold out, but if you do, it's no big deal and we're not interested in doing anything to stop it from happening." Right or wrong, the result of the owners inaction has made hold outs a common, de facto way of doing business.

  15. #15
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Fans Should Forgive and Forget With Jackson

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oh come on, HUb. We all know this is how the business works. This is the first and probably the last big money payday Jackson is going to get in his career. Everyone in this business does what's best for them, and rightfully so, because careers can be incredibly short while the consequences can last a lifetime. And like it or not, the holdout is one method a player can utilize - incurring a fine in the process, mind you - to try and leverage for a new deal. Jackson's not the first to do it, and he's not going to be the last either.
    And weren't they in negotiations when he decided to walk out? Did the FO remove themselves from the bargaining table? Not by any report we've seen or heard. All indications are that a deal could have been worked out three weeks ago had he honored his contract.

    And yes, the holdout is one method a player can utilize. And with that decision comes the consequences of it; in this case, a dishonored name.

    Look, nobody is happier than me, that he is back. I'm sure he'll work hard, and do a great job for the next 7 years. And I'll cheer him on every step of the way. However, none of that erases the fact that he has demonstrated he puts no value on his good name.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •