Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Fantasy Rookie Factors Emerge on Day Two (ESPN)

by Christopher Harris

47. Lance Kendricks, TE, Rams. Rather than go with a wideout here as expected, the Rams decided to draft a tight end into a slot that's been a fantasy wasteland seemingly forever. (Let's see, since Ernie Conwell?) Add that noted tight end killer Josh McDaniels is the new offensive coordinator in St. Louis, and let's just say there are a few flies in this particular ointment. Listen, Kendricks averaged over 15 yards per catch his last season at Wisconsin at 240 pounds, putting me in the mind of the Bengals' Jermaine Gresham. But you saw how Gresham's rookie fantasy season worked out last year (not well), and realize that the Rams also have Michael Hoomanawanui and Fendi Onobun as young potential pass-catchers on their roster. I'm not saying Kendricks can't have a positive effect on the Rams and even have a few decent fantasy days this season. But you won't know when they're coming.

The point in the comparison to Grsham's rookie season is .........not germaine. Kendricks will have a completely different situation he's stepping into with an up and coming team and a gifted motivated passer. The style offense is another differing factor. The point about McD is presumptuous. But you can make your own judgements, those are my opinions.

I am really interested in seeing what the group Kendricks, Hoomanawanui & Onobun look like as compared to Fells, Baejema and Hoomanawanui. Not saying Fells or Baej won't be around, just that the skill set of the youth is intriquing.

Semper Fi!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Fantasy Rookie Factors Emerge on Day Two (ESPN)

Yes, Kendricks will have a completely different circumstance from Gresham, so let's remember those things.
    1. Receivers, tight ends included, usually don't have break out years till their 3rd in the NFL. It just takes time to get used to the game at this level. There are various exceptions, but don't count on a pro bowl for Kendricks even if we have the weaker conference for them.
    2. The point on McDaniels is valid. The TE was not a big weapon while he called the Pats offense, and he traded the receiving TE that Denver had. Either this pick was over his head, he called up Hoodie and learned Pats' Offense 2.0, or something else is afoot.
    3. Sam already has a comfort level with Onobun and Big Mike, he will take time to get comfortable with Kendricks, meanwhile, Mike could press for playing time over him.
    4. And the big one... with the lockout, Kendricks is missing out on a ton of time with the coaches, if not the team. He will be behind the 8 ball like every other rookie this year. He'll have to study the hell out of his playbook and work after practice to make up for that.
    I'm not saying he's not good, but Harris' article is seemingly about rookie fantasy options. He doesn't think Kendricks will be worth much this year and I agree... for fantasy. He could definitely surprise us all, but with all of the uncertainty, he doesn't look like a good draft pick this summer(in fantasy... be clear on that). Personally, I think he could become Sam's Clark, Gates or Gonzalez, but we'll find out.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -05-19-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    I believe!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yes, Kendricks will have a completely different circumstance from Gresham, so let's remember those things.
    1. Receivers, tight ends included, usually don't have break out years till their 3rd in the NFL. It just takes time to get used to the game at this level. There are various exceptions, but don't count on a pro bowl for Kendricks even if we have the weaker conference for them. (I wish more people would remember this in regards to Marty. However, Hernandez didn't seem to take long to contribute.)
    2. The point on McDaniels is valid. The TE was not a big weapon while he called the Pats offense, and he traded the receiving TE that Denver had. Either this pick was over his head, he called up Hoodie and learned Pats' Offense 2.0, or something else is afoot. (Perhaps he is figuring things out or evolving, and perhaps Spag's has shared his views with him seeing as he's kicked his butt a couple times.)
    3. Sam already has a comfort level with Onobun and Big Mike, he will take time to get comfortable with Kendricks, meanwhile, Mike could press for playing time over him.
    4. And the big one... with the lockout, Kendricks is missing out on a ton of time with the coaches, if not the team. He will be behind the 8 ball like every other rookie this year. He'll have to study the hell out of his playbook and work after practice to make up for that. (Agree, but I also wouldn't be surprised to read next week that he and the new WRs are being hosted by Sam.)
    I'm not saying he's not good, but Harris' article is seemingly about rookie fantasy options. He doesn't think Kendricks will be worth much this year and I agree... for fantasy. He could definitely surprise us all, but with all of the uncertainty, he doesn't look like a good draft pick this summer(in fantasy... be clear on that). Personally, I think he could become Sam's Clark, Gates or Gonzalez, but we'll find out.(Agree, it'd be unlikely I'd choose him at any point in this seasons fantasy draft.)
    I think in addition to my responses here that my OP is decently accurate. There are just a bunch of presumtions.
    Semper Fi!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It's also worth noting that this analysis seems to be completely fantasy football oriented. Just because a player isn't a fantasy stud doesn't mean they're not contributing. A guy could be a mauler of a blocker who doesn't get the ball often but makes the plays whenever the team needs a third down, and if that's all he did, he'd be a fantasy nightmare, but the team would love to have him. Rookie tight ends usually aren't great fantasy bets, but in the end, that has very little relevance to the real world.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Hopefully when the season is back on, we will see if the Rams made the right choice in the second round on TE/HB Kendricks. The Rams this coming season should be able to get away from homing in on certain players (Amendola) and will be spreading the ball about quite evenly now we have addressed our talent deficiency at TE and WR. I do not see Kendricks making a major splash in fantasy football this season for the above reasons.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    It's also worth noting that this analysis seems to be completely fantasy football oriented.
    Exactly! Next year or the year after his fantasy value may soar, but in his rookie year (even without a lockout) the odds are against him becoming an instant fantasy star .. The article is intended to advise "fantasy owners - it is not an indictment of his overall abilities to contribute to the team. It will be interesting to see how we feel about his being drafted in the second round at this time next year - providing he can stay healthy throughout the 2011 season. I for one, am happy with the pick. We'll see what happens down the road - maybe his play will venerate Billy's having selecting him in round 2. On other hand, we all remember Brian Leonard ...