Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 9, 2004 12:00 AM

Intern Farr serves as example for D-line

If Cardinals defensive tackles want proof that this defensive scheme can make them stars, all they have to do is look to one of their assistant coaches.

D'Marco Farr, who's serving a coaching internship in this camp, played the same scheme for the St. Louis Rams when defensive line coach Deek Pollard was an assistant there.

Farr went from having one sack in 1994 to 11 1/2 the following year playing the "under" tackle.

"Deek will never let me forget that my salary went up quite a bit in those two years," Farr said. "I went from free-agent status to some pretty big money."

After he retired, Farr worked in television for a few years but he missed the game.

"I love football," he said. "I don't want that part of me to die. When guys leave the game, some people say I can never go back, I hate it and I can't watch. I'm exactly the other way. I love it. I want more of it."

Farr coached the defensive linemen for the Berlin Thunder, which won the NFL Europe title. His internship with the Cardinals ends after the first preseason game, and he's hoping to land a coaching job afterward.

"I'm becoming attached to these guys," he said.