moklerman is offline Registered User

A father's day surprise...for the son!

I went to my dad's to visit on Father's Day and when I was leaving he handed me a bag full of old vhs tapes. They were filled with t.v. shows and movies. A nice stroll down memory lane, but there was one tape with a Rams game on it that was the most fun in the bag.

1986. L.A. Rams vs. Miami Dolphins. Jim Everett's rookie year. Eric Dickerson in his prime. That's the stuff I remembered before watching some of the tape(still in the second quarter). But it's amazing to me how long ago 1986 actually was.

First of all, there were three commentators in the booth yet none of them were rambling on and on about nothing. They were all in matching suit's and tie's and looked sharp (Bob Griese, Jimmy Cefalo and ...can't remember the play by play guy. It was an NBC (AFC) game). Second, from the opening kickoff, the Rams first offensive series, the Dolphins first offensive series, Rams second, Dolphins second and part of the way into the Rams third series there were no commercials. Not because there were quick turnovers or three and out's either. Once it did go to commercial, they were just regular commercial breaks (3 or 4 at a time) not the seemingly endless stream that occurs now.

Next, were the colors. Man, I didn't realize how much I missed the blue and yellow uniforms until now. The Rams looked good. I've always been on the fence about the switch in the uniform colors. I think the merchandise looks a lot better now with the navy and gold, but it really doesn't translate on the uniform. The gold looks very washed out (like an old trophy that was gold when new and now it's somewhere in between gold and silver) and the horns on the sleeves should not have gone away. I understand the Arch on the sleeve idea but it doesn't really come across that way to me and I know what it's supposed to be. As far as the merchandise in the old days, I think the licensed stuff back then was just crappy no matter what colors your team was. The trucker sized caps, the painter's hats with the flaps in the back, etc. The blue and yellow would look fine on today's styles.

Also, the perception of the Rams. They were the powerhouse...legitimate powerhouse with the best running game in the league and a good defense. Now, my memory of the defense back then was that they were soft, but it just goes to show what I've gotten used to. They weren't perfect, but just because Miami got the ball inside the 10 didn't mean they were going to score, either. Two times in the first, Miami drove down into the red zone and both times, the Rams D was swarming, attacking and created two turnovers. Cromwell tipped a ball and, I think Jerry Gray was the guy who intercepted it, but the announcer reads the stat saying "that's the Rams' 27th interception of the year". 27!!! From a defense that wasn't considered "great" by any means. The current Rams have turned in 13, 6(!), 24 and 12 the last four years. The '86 Rams weren't stacked on D either. Only Ekern and Gray made it to the Pro-bowl that year. The announcers were also commenting on how the Dolphins and Shula had stated that they felt they could win the game. Like, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that we could win if everything goes our way type of stuff.

Now, before the gushing get's too heavy, I realize that the Rams, with a two game lead with two games to go in that season, lost out and lost in the first round wildcard. So, they weren't really that great, but the quality of the defense was so much more than it is now that it's shocking(to me). Kind of like watching a t.v. that's gradually been losing it's sharp, clear picture. You don't notice it yourself, but the first thing someone else says when the walk in is "what's wrong with your t.v.?". That's the Rams defense.

Lastly, the Rams and Raiders were both playing in L.A. that day and Anaheim stadium didn't have many empty seats. The current "truth" that L.A. couldn't or can't support an NFL franchise is just revisionist history. Just because Georgia pulled a "Major League" doesn't mean that L.A. fans don't want football. I think at this stage, no one get's excited about it because it's been promised many, many times already and it never happens. When and if a team comes back, the fans will be there. I didn't think I cared, but L.A. Rams still sounds better than St. Louis Rams.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Re: A father's day surprise...for the son!

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    1986. L.A. Rams vs. Miami Dolphins. Jim Everett's rookie year. Eric Dickerson in his prime. That's the stuff I remembered before watching some of the tape(still in the second quarter). But it's amazing to me how long ago 1986 actually was.

First of all, there were three commentators in the booth yet none of them were rambling on and on about nothing. They were all in matching suit's and tie's and looked sharp (Bob Griese, Jimmy Cefalo and ...can't remember the play by play guy. It was an NBC (AFC) game).
    I remember watching that game. Don Criqui I believe was the play by play guy.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Good read mok. Too bad the Everett/Dickerson combo never really got a chance. That's something that I'll always regret.

ramsbruce, that's some memory you've got dude!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think we all wonder what might have been with a little more seasoning on Everett and a "happy" Dickerson. He should have never left the Rams but I don't blame him for wanting to be the highest paid running back in the league. I think the Rams FO blew it on that deal.

Also, I go back a little further in my might've been scenario with Dickerson. I would have liked to have seen Ferragamo play a couple of years with Dickerson. The Rams and Ferragamo never seemed to be very cohesive though. After he broke his thumb they didn't seem to give him enough time to heal. When he went to a bad Buffalo team, he still had some skills that would have much better served the Rams. I'm not down on Dieter per se, but Ferragamo would have been a legitimate concern for opposing defenses. Kemp and Brock were not. I think if Ferragamo had been there in '85 and '86, the Rams might have sniffed the Super Bowl. Probably not against the Bears in '85 but '86 wasn't that tough of a playoff bracket.

RealRam is offline Registered User

The FO certainly did 'blow it' on the ED deal! The Rams had a great array of WRs, a fine QB in "The Blade" and, as you pointed out, Mokler, a quality defense.

Speedy Ron Brown returning kicks; Dickerson quickly becoming a monster RB ...

We blew it alright.

Nevertheless, thanks for taking us back 20 years. I enjoyed your replay.

Milan is offline Registered User

It's always interesting watching those older games because you get to see future superstars just sitting on the bench and having no idea that they would become huge. (That is in some cases)

OrlandoPaceIsMyHero is offline Registered User

I was about a month old when that game occurred. Now I feel old.

It's bad enough to realize that I only have two years of glorious college left before I have to enter the dreaded real world!

-OPIMH