general counsel is offline Registered User

Faulk as an announcer

I thought Marshall Faulk was tremendous as an announcer last night. In fact, i think he is too good for network tv. What i mean is that his analysis is so advanced that it will go over the head of more than half of the typical nfl audience. For people with the level of expertise of those who participate on this board, Faulk's insights are simply fantastic and a chance to get the views of one of the smartest players in the history of the game.

His descriptions of the assignments of different positions (ie linebacker coverage, receiver routes, offensive line blocking schemes etc) was light years beyond anything you typically hear from the yuckety yuck spewed by various alleged experts.

Orlando Pace is one of my all time favorite Rams, but i think his announcing future is limited.

As an aside, i think John Lynch is by far the best announcer out there for color commentary (excluding faulk)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Faulk as an announcer

I agree, he's been very impressive in the booth. I'd love to hear his commentary during every Rams game, but I imagine that's probably asking too much, given his television commitments and the possible cost of hiring him full-time for that job.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Faulk is the reason I started watching football. I wasn't a big fan of football till I saw this guy run. Sad part is this was in 2003 so he wasn't even in his prime. I just loved the way he ran the ball. Nowwe get to here him breakdown our rams now? What more could we ask for? O wait one of our best lineman is sitting beside him? That's pretty cool even though Idk id pace will be there after this year. Faulk is doing great. Seeing him on Sundays will always cheer me up.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

He started his TV career awkwardly, but Faulk has made himself into a polished, articulate announcer. Dedication and work ethic transcends all fields.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

He really is an extremely talented and gifted person. I think that man could pretty much excel at whatever he put his mind to. I loved his commentary.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

As a Rams fan I of course think that Faulk is excellent doing "Rams" games.

Now as far as him doing this full-time - I would be more of a critic.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    He started his TV career awkwardly, but Faulk has made himself into a polished, articulate announcer. Dedication and work ethic transcends all fields.
    Agreed. The Marshall man is a professional and he's probably taking this announcer business with entire commitment, same as on the field sans uniform / pads / helmet / ball.

I think at first Faulk still had a stuttering obstacle to hurdle but I suppose the NFLN experts might have even gotten a speech therapist to help him get through that natural fault. Similar to NBA's great Bill Walton who had a worse stuttering difficulty than MF.

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

Really no surprise, Marshall was a coach on the field during his days so that kind of knowledge translates easier to the booth. As long as a former player can deliver his expertise in a coherent and succinct manner, and approaches everything professionally, they can do well. Sadly, Marshall is more of an exception than the rule, too many of those guys just love to hear themselves talk.