general counsel Guest

Faulk- A far out conspiracy theory

Before anyone jumps on me for this, please accept it in the spirit in which it is intended. Drivel and way out of oliver stone like leftfield major longshot conspiracy theory from someone who you all know supports marshall faulk 100%.

Any shot that faulks agent, who also happens to represent jackson, has floated this story to enhance jacksons negotiating position? The news certainly makes it more important than ever for the rams to get jackson into camp immediately and therefore impacts the negotiating dynamic.

I am not suggesting that this is all made up. I believe that the uncertainty surrounding the knee is real, but that the talk of retirement or sitting out 2004 may well be an overreaction which coincidentally, helps another client of faulks long time agent. Could the headline be manufactured to help jackson without hurting faulk?

Anyone out there think that this is even remotely feasible.

ramming speed to all

Sign the Big Man and Long Live Marshall, Marshall, Marshall

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Faulk- A far out conspiracy theory

I don't think so GC....I think the story has some merit. How much is debateable but this much is for certain:

1. He's 31. The maturation period for RB's in the NFL is 30 at best.
    2. When is the last time he lasted a whole season?
    3. His knee is not a secret.

maineram is offline Registered User

It very well could be that this just another agent ploy to get an upper hand in negotiations, but I don't believe it. Faulk seems to be a pretty up front and straight to the point kind of guy. Just listening to his post game interviews over the last 5 years, after a win or a loss, he is straight out front in my opinion. He doesn't mix words like the boss. To think that this rumor started by his agent, that we never here a word from normally, is going to break/leak a story to help another one of his clients is just hard to believe. If Faulk truely is having lingering problems with his knee, and doesn't think he is ready for camp, we're not going to get, "the leak", from his agent it's going to be from him. I expect to hear something soon from him on this rumor/truth about his knee, but don't believe his agent would be the source of this to get the upper hand with Jackson.

Maineram :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The guy is Faulk's agent too, though. How would this kind of ploy benefit Marshall?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

My point was that i dont think the statement hurts faulk at all. He either is ready and wants to play or he isnt. Rumours arent going to affect him. The decision is his, at least for this year. By the way, i was not suggesting that faulk was part of the plan here, but rather that it might have been the agents idea.

As i said, it was just a crazy idea. Grasping at straws in the hopes that this thing is being blown out of proportion.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

maineram is offline Registered User

The ploy as I was speaking on was the one in which Faulks agent put out the rumor to benefit Jackson in negotiations, not help Faulk. That I don't believe would happen. I would, as well as Faulk if it's true, be shocked for him to turn on Faulk at this point to benefit himself. His knee may be behind schedule or more severe but the getting an edge for Jackson is far fetched.

Maineram :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Being 41 with knee problems (I used to speed skate in my teenage years), I know how a trick knee can screw with you. Some days, it never gives me a bit of trouble, then others, I can be walking the halls at work and all of a sudden, my knee will give out on me and I will be on the floor trying not to yell out loud....usually it passes in a few minutes, and I can walk again, although in pain and with a limp. Being as I work in a hospital, the doctors who have checked my knee tell me the cartilage is destroyed, and surgery may or may not fix it. They tell me it is my decision....so do I spend thousands of dollars and weeks unable to walk normally, and the knee may or may not get better; or do I save my money, not missing work or walking, and my knee may or may not get better?
    It seems almost even odds to me....I won't have the surgery unless there is no other choice. Meanwhile, I cannot run or skate, or play sports without hurting my knee. Some days I can barely walk. But then I think about what knee surgery did to my father....(shot with a Nazi machine gun in his right knee in 1944). He is now in a nursing home because a doctor OD'ed him on morphine....and his knee is still messed up. No, thanks, I'll live with the pain.
    Faulk may be thinking the same way...does he want to chance being crippled if this last surgery didn't work?
    No matter what, I think he will give it his best. Maybe he won't be able to finish every game...or even play all of them. But, no matter what, he is the kind of person to give all he's got to the team. If he can't do it, he has the integrity to see that someone else will....after all, he is a Ram.... :ramlogo:

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Rams have access to Faulk's medical reports, so I doubt they would be fooled by a "leak" by an agent.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The Rams have access to Faulk's medical reports, so I doubt they would be fooled by a "leak" by an agent.
    I agree with that statement. And let's not forget, Mike Martz does a pretty good impersonation of a doctor, when the need arises.

RamMyrow is offline Registered User

It may not be as extreme, but Marshall is kind of in the same situation as Kurt was at the beginning of last season. Most believe he still has some gas in the tank, but the injuries are suspect. If Faulk does in fact struggle next season I hope the situation is handled better than Kurt's situation.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Good point, but keep in mind Warner's medical records seemed to indicate he was fine, yet he had problems with his hand and Bernie has reported on possible causes.

Even if you ignore the medical aspect of it, leaking news that Faulk himself is considering retirement is enough to potentially boost the price/urgency in signing Jackson.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Is faulk not working out at rams park I thought he did during the off season