HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Faulk re-defined the role of a RB

I was perusing through a few statistics and noticed something. The league leader in yards from scrimmage (YFS) this year was our own Steven Jackson. On the last day of the season he managed to edge out LT by 11 yards. As well, this performance by Jackson ranks 5th all-time for the best season YFS.

When looking at the all-time list of top YFS season's, I couldn't help but notice that 10 of the top 11 were notched in the past decade. Marcus Allen's '85 season (7th all-time) stood alone as the only pre-'97 effort in the top 11.

So what has happened in the past decade that has blown up the YFS of RBs into astronomical performances? I believe it can be narrowed down to Marshall Faulk. This was the time period when Faulk changed the definition of a RB. No longer did the RB run, and the WR receive. Now, the RB had to do both. Once Faulk came into his own in Indy, and then exploded in the GSOT, it was no longer adequate for a top tier RB to notch 20, 30, or 40 catches per year. That was now obsolete, and too one-dimensional. Faulk introduced the era of RBs with 60, 70, and 80 catch seasons.

Now, all the top RBs have to reach to numbers close to Faulk to be considered at the top of their game. If you look at this year's top 6 YFS efforts, only Larry Johnson had fewer than 55 receptions, and he had to set the Rushing Attempt record to do it!

Whether Faulk is done or not, I don't know. But either way, in his time, he changed what it meant to be a Running Back.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Faulk re-defined the role of a RB

Sorry but this leads me to the obvious question. What's up with MF?

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I agree the guy has had an amazing impact on the RB position and has been an incredible player for the Rams,but I just don't see the point in bringing him back next year.He has given his lot and doesn't have enough left in the tank to bring any extra dimension to the team..It will be a sad day when Marshall has officially played his last game in a Ram uniform,but it's the only outcome unfortunately..:l

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    I agree the guy has had an amazing impact on the RB position and has been an incredible player for the Rams,but I just don't see the point in bringing him back next year.He has given his lot and doesn't have enough left in the tank to bring any extra dimension to the team..It will be a sad day when Marshall has officially played his last game in a Ram uniform,but it's the only outcome unfortunately..:l
    A Year off can do a lot for an athlete, a whole lot. I'm not saying he'll be the Marshall of old, but a guy with his knowledge can be dangerous. I say we bring him back and split time with Stephen Davis, could you imagine the depth of STeve, Stephen, and Marshall. Steven wouldn't have to worry about Marshall taking over the number 1 spot. But if he were to be injured, we wouldn't loose any production.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    A Year off can do a lot for an athlete, a whole lot. I'm not saying he'll be the Marshall of old, but a guy with his knowledge can be dangerous. I say we bring him back and split time with Stephen Davis, could you imagine the depth of STeve, Stephen, and Marshall. Steven wouldn't have to worry about Marshall taking over the number 1 spot. But if he were to be injured, we wouldn't loose any production.
    Yes we would,Marshall couldn't put up SJ's numbers anymore..If we has Faulk and Davis as backup's,well they have had plenty of injury problems and they could re-occur if they had more playing time if SJ went down..I love what Marshall has done for the Rams but it is time for the franchise to move forward and look to the future,unfortunately Faulk is the past albeit a GLORIOUS one...:l

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Excellent post HUbison. I believe the fact that Faulk redefined the RB role will also be one of the reasons he is a first ballot Hall of Famer without any doubt, not only did he win, get the ring, was MVP, had all the stats, he also left his mark on the game in a way only a handful or two of players have done before or after. I remember reading a post a year ago or so on NFL.com about this where they had a top-10 list of the most influential players throughout history, players that changed the way the game was played, and Faulk was on that list as well.

As for whether he will be back next year, at this point no one knows. But I believe that if he wants to come back we should welcome him, partly because of what he has done for us in the past. But also in part because I believe that he would not come back unless he could play at least at the same level he did in 2005 where he spelled Jackson fairly well and actually ended up with a higher YPC (much fewer carries of course, but that's the role of a #2 back).

Some stats comparing Stephen Davis this year to Marshall Faulk in 2005 both playing as Jackson's backups:

Rushing

Att Yds YPC TD
    40 177 4.4 0 (Stephen Davis '06)
    65 292 4.5 0 (Marshall Faulk '05)

Receiving

Rec Yds Avg TD
    12 90 7.5 1 (Stephen Davis '06)
    44 291 6.6 1 (Marshall Faulk '05)

Playing at that level again (which I think isn't out of the question after a year out of football) Marshall Faulk would be a good #2 RB for us I think.

As I said I believe that if he does come back that will be because he is capable of playing at a reasonable level, otherwise I think he is wise enough to recognize himself that it's over if his knees still feel like last year. So for now I'm personally waiting to hear from the man himself what his plans are, I don't expect an answer soon though, he'll probably wait until sometime in the spring and see how it feels.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -01-04-2007 at 07:05 PM.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Whenever I see MF on air talking about Football I cannot help but get th impression that he is NOT DONE YET.

I only hope he would be willing to reamin with the Rams, spelling SJ and maybe pairing up the 2 of them in the backfield to giving the Rams seemingly limitless options and causing many soiled opponents pants.

From what I have read Davis has been more instrumental in Jackson's development itno the league leader in YFS than was Faulk. I wonder if there is room (and money) enough for the 3 of them next year....

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -01-04-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: left out an "a", eh...

RealRam is offline Registered User

So for now I'm personally waiting to hear from the man himself what his plans are... -- RODenmark
    *Wondering to myself, trying to remember* Which game was it, just recently ... was it the last MNF? ...Where Marshall appeared in the sidelines as a spot narrator, answering with a sincere smile to the main commentators upstairs that he would [paraphrased here] rather come back to the game than stay out of it as a sports analyst.

I do remember that really got my attention although I was unable to review that short, spontaneous remark. It did seem quite clear to me he's coming back.

I do believe he even mentioned RAMS? :O

In any event, I agree, our Rams No. 28 did, definitely, re-define the role of a RB.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

The sincerest form of flattery is imitation?

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Once Faulk came into his own in Indy, and then exploded in the GSOT, it was no longer adequate for a top tier RB to notch 20, 30, or 40 catches per year. That was now obsolete, and too one-dimensional. Faulk introduced the era of RBs with 60, 70, and 80 catch seasons.
    Perhaps you missed a guy by the name of ROGER CRAIG. Dont get me wrong...Faulk is perhaps my favorite player EVER but Roger Craig was having 70,80,90 catch seasons back in the 80s. His career wasnt quite what Marshalls was but he certainly was one of the first backs to be a real serious pass receiving threat out of the backfield. There were a few before him (guys like Chuck Muncie come to mind) but not to the extent of 80-90 catches. He and Faulk are the only 1000/1000 men in the history of the game. Craig did it back in 85, Marshall in 99.
    Last edited by Fargo Ram Fan; -01-04-2007 at 11:26 PM.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

blood85 is offline Registered User

I think for a few years Marshall was the best all around back, no doubt. Now, it's time to pass the torch to SJ and the new rams.