Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

"Faulk ready to step back" - Wilbert Montgomery on Sirius Radio

So I'm taking my girlfriend to campus since she has some stuff to work on tonight, and she doesn't let me listen to NFL radio in the car if she's there (*grumble*). But the second she's out, I flip to the NFL station.

No more than 30 seconds after flipping do I hear, "We'd like to welcome Wilbert Montgomery, running backs coach for the St. Louis Rams, to the program."

It took me a while to get home where I could take some notes, but I did my best to remember what I didn't write down. This is what Montgomery said...

-Comments from the radio hosts and Montgomery revealed that in a broadcast six weeks ago - that I didn't hear - Montgomery said he expected Jackson to be the starter in 2005. So apparently this isn't something new to the coaching staff.

-He said that he didn't really have to do much convincing to get Martz on the idea that Jackson should start. He said it wasn't something he really campagined for, but they knew it would happen. He said Martz was and remains very loyal to Faulk because of what Marshall has done over Martz's tenure. In fact, Montgomery hinted (and the hosts commented on this after he was off the air) that one of the big selling points for Jackson as the feature back was what the Rams would be able to do with play-action if teams are forced to put eight in the box to stop Jackson, leaving Holt and Bruce out on an island in man coverage.

-Montgomery said that he's basically been preparing Faulk for this all season in various ways, and that around the time of the loss to Atlanta in the playoffs, Montgomery said that Faulk was ready to take a step back into a more limited role.

-Mont. said that Faulk is definitely in their plans for 2005 (no trade or release) as a third down back where they can run screens and some of his favorite plays, and that one of the big hurdles for Faulk will be actually being on the sideline and watching someone else as the feature back, and how well he's going to actually accept seeing it and not being the guy anymore. He said when you're on the field and guys are tackling you when you used to be able to make them miss, it starts to sink in real quick that you're not the guy you used to be.

-Montgomery said he thinks Jackson could have played more last season, and that he's as close to a complete back as anyone in his opinion (not sure if he meant on the team or in the league). He says Jackson understands pass protection very well and only gave up one sack last season on a play in which he stepped forward to help a lineman with a blitz pick-up.

-He commented that as a receiver, Jackson needs to be more consistent, and some of his problems are from wanting to run immediately after catching the ball.

-He said that it was Montgomery himself more than anyone who held Jackson out of that Arizona game because he felt the knee was still bothering him.

-Montgomery said that when he talked to Martz, they discussed that Jackson is a guy who they can pound the ball with because of his size and skills, and both hosts and Montgomery tend to believe that Martz will run the ball more with Jackson. And let me say that these two hosts (Adam Shine and John Riggins) were very skeptical about whether that would happen, and asked it this was a thing where seeing needs to be believing, but Montgomery thinks Martz will be more willing with Jackson in the backfield.

-Regarding Little, Montgomery couldn't comment on the situation, but said the Rams need to move forward as if they don't expect Little to return so that, if he doesn't, they have a contingency plan. He said they need to pursue someone who has the same kind of skills as Little to play in that role if Little doesn't return. So DE might be more of a priority than we might have thought.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: "Faulk ready to step back" - Wilbert Montgomery on Sirius Radio

Good thing about the Little thing is that we should have an answer before the draft. I personally hope we resign Fischer. I liked this kid and I only think he will get better.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Great job Nick. The more I hear, the better I feel about the situation, but I am still extremely interested in what Faulk has to say.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thanks Nick. Excellent report / info!

rampete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Great job Nick. The more I hear, the better I feel about the situation, but I am still extremely interested in what Faulk has to say.
    i second that notion mike...but if i had to guess at what faulk is going thru i'd bet that it's hurting his pride but not to the extent that he's fuming or angry. he must feel that he can still contribute but not in the same consistent way he had done in the previous 5 seasons...

if there's one player that understands this game of football as a business it most probably will be marshall. i don't think he will allow emotions to get in the way of passing on the torch...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree, pete. Clearly anyone who experiences this is going to be a bit disheartened that he's no longer the guy, but I think Marshall is smart enough to realize the realism of the situation and understand why the decision was made.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DJRamFan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    He said they need to pursue someone who has the same kind of skills as Little to play in that role if Little doesn't return.
    Good luck.

It's nice to see Faulk is a true man about this. I think he knows he's still going to see a considerable amount of PT.

thoey is offline Registered User

Sorry, but I am going to reserve ANY judgement until I hear Marshall speak.
    This space for rent...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I wish we would hear from Marshall. So much depends upon his opinion of how the FO is handling this. His pride is bound to be hurt and I could still see him making a move away from the Rams if they don't treat him with the respect that he deserves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovemyrams4ever Guest

Faulk is a smart man with a lot of class. He knows when he wakes up each day that his body is telling him that the end is coming soon. I have no doubt about that. He also mentioned to his agent last year that 2005 just might be his last season so it would be understandable if Faulk just might have had a little to do with Jackson's promotion. Some players don't know when to slow down and back out gracefully, while others like Marshall have enough humility and class to know when it's time to pass the torch on.

I love Marshall and still think that he will be a big threat to opposing offenses with his lessoned role, in fact he might have the chance to become even a larger threat this year in the passing game.

I'm extremely happy for Jackson and am glad to see that Faulk is being treated with the respect that he deserves instead of just being cast aside for a younger kid.

Change is sometimes hard to accept, but unfortunately change is inevitable.:disappoin
    Last edited by lovemyrams4ever; -02-20-2005 at 08:41 PM. Reason: mispelled word

theodus69 Guest

Like I said before......It just means Jackson gets introduced before the game and Faulk falls to " here's the rest of your Saint Louis Rams"! Faulk is gonna be a big part of the offense next season. You'll see!

moklerman Guest

Just like so many other things with the Rams lately, part of this doesn't make sense to me. Mainly, the looks Marshall was giving from the sidelines in games last year. Actually, it goes back further than that. The playoff game against Carolina was another example of what I'm talking about.

Obviously, the looks aren't definitive and have to be...dare I say it, "interpreted". But, to me, he doesn't look like a guy that wants to take a step back, or for that matter, needs to.

But, when it comes right down to it, Martz has never shown that he's going to stick with the running game for any length of time anyway. So, as much as I think Faulk would do well if given the ball a reasonable amount of times, it's moot because Martz won't be giving Jackson or Faulk the ball, especially if the o-line is improved to the point where pass protection isn't as much of an isssue.

I just think Faulk is being wasted in this offense now (and the last few years) and it pains me to see him sitting on the sideline unless they need him to pass block. I'm assuming it pains him too from the way he looks on the sidelines.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes, our Marshall man will be ready with poise, courage and class to step back and do what is right for the team (providing, as implied in this thread, that the Rams act accordingly).

Our former Superman will be ready to step up when -- not 'IF' -- needed on the field.

PS: Welcome to ClanRam, LoveMyRams4ever!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Just like so many other things with the Rams lately, part of this doesn't make sense to me. Mainly, the looks Marshall was giving from the sidelines in games last year. Actually, it goes back further than that. The playoff game against Carolina was another example of what I'm talking about.

Obviously, the looks aren't definitive and have to be...dare I say it, "interpreted". But, to me, he doesn't look like a guy that wants to take a step back, or for that matter, needs to.
    I also got the impression that Faulk often seemed frustrated at what was going on during games. Whether that was frustration at the game plan or his own performance or a combination of both, who knows at this point. I have to believe Faulk is still confident in his ability to be a starting back, especially because of how well he performed when given an opportunity.

It's great to hear the statements that Faulk is ready and willing to go along with the change, but the timing of the Martz announcement is something I just can't get past. I can't imagine Faulk is set to take a secondary role and a reduced salary without weighing all his options, despite what Martz and Montgomery have said. This story will undoubtably have a lot of twists and turns before it's over.

AugustaRamFan Guest

Until the words come from Marshall, it is all conjecture.

The "Marshall' is the only man that can lay this controversy to rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast