Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Faulk remains uncertain if he'll return next season

Faulk remains uncertain if he'll return next season
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Running back Marshall Faulk's highlight film was shown on the two giant scoreboards at the Edward Jones Dome in the closing minute of the team's 24-20 loss to the San Francisco ***** on Sunday.

It was almost as if the Rams were saying farewell to Faulk, who said after the game that he's not sure if he'll play next season.

"Right now, I feel like I do, but I'm going to sit down once the season is over and make a decision," Faulk said when asked if he felt like he still had some football to play. "It's hard to say. I've been playing football for a long time, and it's something I love doing.

"So to just give you a quick answer after a hard loss to a division opponent wouldn't be right."

Faulk said the decision on who will be head coach next season -- it appears as if the team is preparing to part ways with Mike Martz -- will be a factor in whether he retires or not.

"I'm sure it will," Faulk said. "I'm sure it will have something to do with it."

Faulk, 32, has already put together a Hall of Fame resume with 12,254 rushing yards, 6,866 receiving yards and 136 touchdowns.

Faulk came to the Rams in a trade with the Indianapolis Colts in April, 1999. He was the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 2000, and he continued to be the focal point of the Rams' offense until passing the baton to Steve Jackson prior to this season.

In his reduced role, Faulk has rushed for 267 yards on 54 carries and caught 42 passes for 282 yards this season.

"I feel like Marshall has a lot of football left in him," Rams wide receiver Isaac Bruce said. "He's a great player. That's my man."

'Big Game' has another one

Rams wide receiver Torry Holt lived up to his nickname of "Big Game" with 10 catches for 163 yards and one touchdown against the *****.

The 163 yards matched his season high, while touchdown moved him into second place on the Rams' all-time list for receiving touchdowns.

Holt now has 54 receiving touchdowns, one more than Pro Football Hall of Famer Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch.

Holt has 11 100-yard games in his career, which is the second most among active players behind Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison, who has 16 100-yard games.

Quick hits

The Rams' inactives were running back Aveion Cason, guard-tackle Ben Noll, tackle Rex Tucker, tight end Aaron Walker, defensive tackles Jeremy Calahan and Brian Howard, defensive end Clifford Dukes and third-string quarterback Jeff Smoker.

Damione Lewis registered his first sack of the season by tackling Alex Smith for a four-yard loss in the first quarter. Lewis, the 12th overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft, has 10 1/2 sacks in his career.

Bryan Barker has at least one punt of 50-plus yards in eight of his 10 games since replacing rookie Reggie Hodges.

The ***** won on the road for the first time this season. They've won exactly one road game in each of the last three seasons.

The Rams are 3-3 all-time on Christmas eve.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Faulk remains uncertain if he'll return next season

I'd Rather he retire before than after like Emmitt Smith and others who didn't know when to call it Quits.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Sad state of affairs if you ask me with Marshall I hope he not gone , he does have alot of football left in him and I dont think Jackson is as ready as some might think
    Marshall can still cut brust up the yards if he goes it will be the F.O.s doing ...

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OldRamsfan
    Sad state of affairs if you ask me with Marshall I hope he not gone , he does have alot of football left in him and I dont think Jackson is as ready as some might think
    Marshall can still cut brust up the yards if he goes it will be the F.O.s doing ...
    What I was thinking was letting him start one last game (If he's leaving).

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i would love to see him give it another season(at least one more),he showed he has some good stuff left in the tank and hes marshall,we have all suffered enough this season we dont want to see him go to.