Faulk’s opportunity
Lafayette native finally gets shot with St. Louis.
Eric Narcisse
enarcisse@theadvertiser.com
August 13, 2004
.photocontainer{ width: 201px; } When Trev Faulk went undrafted in the 2002 NFL draft, it was definitely a humbling experience for the former Lafayette High and LSU Tigers star.

But that didn’t deter him from continuing to strive for what he felt he deserved...an opportunity.

After not being given an opportunity to prove he can accomplish all of the things he did in both high school and in college in the NFL with the Denver Broncos, Dallas Cowboys and the Arizona Cardinals, Faulk believes that he is finally getting that opportunity — with the St. Louis Rams.

“This is all that I have ever wanted from the teams I have been with,” Faulk said. “A true opportunity to show what I can do. And St. Louis is giving me that opportunity.”

Faulk, who joined the Rams on New Year’s Eve after they signed him from the Cardinals’ practice squad, is currently second at middle linebacker on the Rams’ depth chart behind Robert Thomas.

“Training camp is going really well for me right now,” Faulk said. “I’m getting the necessary reps to really compete for a job. It’s just great to know that I’m actually getting looked at by the coaches.”

After Saturday’s scrimmage against the Chicago Bears in which Faulk started at middle linebacker in place of the hurt Thomas, head coach Mike Martz praised him for his play.

“Trev Faulk has really, really stepped through and done a terrific job in camp,” Martz said. “I’m anxious to see him play.”

The 6-3, 240-pound Faulk believes that he made an impression on more than the Rams’ coaching staff with his performance against the Bears.

“This camp has truly been a blessing,” Faulk said. “Being that I was able to start against the Bears and the fact that I played well, I think they came away pretty impressed also. I’d have to say that right now things are working out well for me.”

But that wasn’t always the case.

After he was released by the Cardinals, Faulk thought about giving football up and moving on with the rest of his life.

“I really considered hanging up my cleats,” Faulk said. “I was really frustrated and I had started working in Baton Rouge, so I was thinking about ending it.”

So, what stopped him?

“I knew in my heart that I had not been given an opportunity,” Faulk said. “I also didn’t want any regrets. I didn’t want to be 40 years old and thinking that I should not have quit.”

Instead of trying to fight through the frustration and disapointment alone, Faulk relied on God and surrounded himself around the people he loved the most to get him through his trials and tribulations.

“God and my family really helped me get through it all,” Faulk said. “God made me go through all of this to make me the man I am today and to strengthen my faith in him.”

Faulk, who turned 23-years-old on Friday, says that he is a better person because of what he has endured so far in his young career.

“Obviously I would have like to have been a first-round pick,” Faulk said. “But there is no doubt that I am better person because of what I have been through. I truly believe that your struggles in life is what make you who you are. My struggles have forced me to lean on God more and that’s good. With that said I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

After leaving the Cardinals once the season ended and returning to his mother’s home in Lafayette, Faulk received a phone call from his agent informing him that the Rams had just signed him off the practice squad.

“I wasn’t even home for 24 hours,” Faulk said. “I just looked it as a new situation for me, but it definitely was a confidence builder. The Rams could have waited a couple of weeks to sign me, but they did it during their playoff run.”

Faulk says he entered training camp this year expecting to get the chance that he is receiving.

“I really came in expecting to make the team this year,” Faulk said. “I’ve been cut three times, but now I’m getting my opportunity. They’ve opened the doors for me and now I really expect to make the team.”

But what happens if he doesn’t?

“It will not be the end of me,” Faulk said. “I’ve been blessed enough to play football this long and I was able to use football to pay for my education. Coming out of college I always gave God the credit for my success and my situation shows just how much he controls. But I have other things I can do.”

Among those things are continuing to work in Baton Rouge and or enrolling into graduate school and working on his master’s degree.

“I’m trying to have a career in football,” Faulk said. “But if it’s not God’s will then I’ll move on. And I am prepared to move on. Last year or two years ago I don’t think I could handle it, but I can now.”

In the mean time though, Faulk will continue to try and walk through the doors the Rams have open for him.

“I have a big chip on my shoulder,” Faulk said. “Since I went undrafted I always said ‘they better not give me a chance’. Because if they do then eyes will be open.”