Thread: Faulk on SJax

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Faulk on SJax

TALKS WITH S-JAX PROGRESSING, FAULK COMMENTS
    Posted by Tom Mantzouranis on August 18, 2008, 1:10 p.m.
    The relationship between Steven Jackson and the man he replaced in St. Louis, Marshall Faulk, was always rumored to be chilly. So now that Jackson has had a successful enough career to hold out in order to leverage a big deal, and Faulk has moved on to broadcasting, it shouldnít be surprising that heís taking Jackson to task for remaining at home while the Rams carry on through the preseason.

ďI am surprised heís holding out,Ē Faulk said on Sporting News Radio. ďI donít know where heís getting his advice. Heís played four years and heís played every game once and heís been hurt three times. I know if I was in the front office, even if it wasnít Steven, even if it was someone else on another team, it would be hard for me to justify giving them a lot of money, regardless if he was Ďthe team.íĒ

Faulk keeps a distance in those comments, but doesnít hesitate to get personal.

ďItís just unfortunate that sometimes ó and itís happened to a lot of great players ó when they play behind a player that had length and longetivity, and did it well in a way that people respect, they sometimes donít know how to deal with it. They donít know where to take it. And thatís one of those situations [where] heís trying to carve a niche for himself and he wants that to be so different from me that heís doing a lot of things that I didnít do, but those are the things I didnít do because you donít need to, not because I didnít want to.Ē

Faulk might want to tuck and roll as he falls from his high horse, because he seems to forget that he too once held out in 1999, the year he was traded to the Rams. That his holdout didnít last as long as Jacksonís is inconsequential; he should understand the motivation in holding out (and the hypocrisy in him railing against it).

Meanwhile, talks between the Rams and Jackson seem to be progressing. The Rams had previously stated they wouldnít negotiate with holdouts, meaning Jacksonís firm stance has caused the team to blink first, ostensibly realizing that with the state of the team on and off the field, they canít afford to open the season without their best player.
    From PFT......

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Faulk on SJax

Marshall needs to just bite his tongue when he's asked questions about current Ram players, particularly Jackson. He only stands to alienate himself from those of us who still think rather highly of him.

Marshall was great, but Jackson has the physical tools to be even better. Be nice when the Rams finally realize that, and pay the man.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I don't know man first mentoring Frank Gore the best offensive player on your teams all time rivals now hypocritically slamming SJ for doing the same exact thing he did.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I always liked Faulk the player, but disliked Faulk the person. He's a pompous ass that just keeps proving it over and over. I know that's blasphemy around here, but from the way he snubs fans to the way he's treated Jackson, I have no reason to like this guy anymore.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

You guys are jokesters. Faulk > SJ
    Love'm both, but seriously.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The article basically sums up my reaction to Faulk's comments...

Faulk might want to tuck and roll as he falls from his high horse, because he seems to forget that he too once held out in 1999, the year he was traded to the Rams. That his holdout didnít last as long as Jacksonís is inconsequential; he should understand the motivation in holding out (and the hypocrisy in him railing against it).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Marshall, Marshall, Marshall...Be quiet, Be quiet, Be quiet!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Pot: You're black.

Kettle: No, you're black.

Pot: No, you're black.

Kettle: No, you're black.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

As a former Ram Faulk should have stayed away from that one. Why is it always the players fault and the organization is never to blame?

rampower is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    As a former Ram Faulk should have stayed away from that one. Why is it always the players fault and the organization is never to blame?
    Because he has a contract and should be here. If they dont give him what he wants, then he goes somewhere else, later on. BUT he should be honoring his contract. I am quite sure if he was a bust he wouldn't have handed the money back, he signed a contract. He will get an amazing contract that will probably pay him excellent retirement money in signing bonus alone that will give him more money a year in intrerest than I will make in my lifetime. What does he seriously have to worry about. Get in and negotiate that contract.
    I would be surprised if they couldn't come to a deal. If not, state your desire to be traded and play your ass off, whilst in the shop window.

Other players 'hold out' too. Does this make holding out morally correct??

YES its part of the business.

YES many players do it.

YES jackson is worth more than his contract.

Do I like it. Hell no, no, NO!
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I don't know about always, but in this particular situation it is because the player, and not the organization, is in breach of contract.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I always liked Faulk the player, but disliked Faulk the person. He's a pompous ass that just keeps proving it over and over. I know that's blasphemy around here, but from the way he snubs fans to the way he's treated Jackson, I have no reason to like this guy anymore.
    As much as it pains me, I agree with you here Josh. I steadily became sour on Faulk the last few years of his career, with the final straw being his complete lack of involvement or interest in the team during 2006, despite being paid to sit out and ponder retirement, all the while yuking it up on NFL Network. These hypocritical statements about Jackson's situation certainly don't help.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Marshall was great, but Jackson has the physical tools to be even better. Be nice when the Rams finally realize that, and pay the man.
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I couldn't disagree more. Faulk had the hands and route running ability to become a deadly option out of the backfield. He also had the smarts to know how to read defenses and get open in patterns.

Jax just doesnt have the great hands or, perhaps more importantly, the football knowledge that Faulk had/has. Thats why he will never be as great as Faulk was.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I couldn't disagree more. Faulk had the hands and route running ability to become a deadly option out of the backfield. He also had the smarts to know how to read defenses and get open in patterns.

Jax just doesnt have the great hands or, perhaps more importantly, the football knowledge that Faulk had/has. Thats why he will never be as great as Faulk was.
    I agree with you in respect to the fact that he doesn't have the hands that Marshall had but to be fair he is not playing in the same system either. His knowledge of the game will come as his years in the league continue, ( if he ever reports). Remember, Faulk had to run around people, not over them like Jax, so I guess my point is they're both great in different ways.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I think when Jackson's career is said and done, Marshall will probably have the better records.