Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Faulk was spot on about Jackson

He was right about the Rams signing Jackson to a big contract.

The Rams have not been able to use Jackson in the manner in which he should be used.

The Rams don't even have a power running team identity in what is predominately a passing league. Offensive teams do need to be able to run the ball but I'm not sure Jackson is that type of change-up back. Even if he is or could be, teams should not be paying that kind of money for a situational RB.

I think the NFL is long past the feature RB style of offense. I've seen it in the Rams past and for the most part it does not take a team all the way in the playoffs.

If you don't have a Faulk type of RB then you should not be paying huge dollars to a Jackson type. Jackson is a power runner that needs 30 or more touches a game. However, at this point in time, Jackson is not even a typical power back. Generally power backs are tough and very durable. Jackson is fast developing a pattern of being injury prone for whatever reason.

Before the season started I voiced my opinion against giving Jackson big money for many of the reasons mentioned above. I think it was a mistake for the Rams to go ahead and do so. Hindsight is always 20/20, but as of today, signing Jackson to a big money contract was a huge mistake.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Faulk was spot on about Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    If you don't have a Faulk type of RB then you should not be paying huge dollars to a Jackson type. Jackson is a power runner that needs 30 or more touches a game. However, at this point in time, Jackson is not even a typical power back. Generally power backs are tough and very durable. Jackson is fast developing a pattern of being injury prone for whatever reason.
    I don't know Ferter, when healthy, Jackson has shown that he is an all-purpose type back like Faulk. In 2006 he led the league in yards from scrimmage with the fifth highest total in NFL history, catching 90 passes along the way. The problem, as you noted, is his lack of durability. It's hard to be an all-purpose performer when you're unable to get touches.

smizzhfx Guest

Part of the durability issue has to come back to our main problem: the OLine. (not to mention stupid coaching decisions i.e. keeping him in during the 4th quarter when were up so big)

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't know Ferter, when healthy, Jackson has shown that he is an all-purpose type back like Faulk. In 2006 he led the league in yards from scrimmage with the fifth highest total in NFL history, catching 90 passes along the way. The problem, as you noted, is his lack of durability. It's hard to be an all-purpose performer when you're unable to get touches.
    I know Mike, I know. But this is still a "what have you done for me lately" league.

He needs to be durable for that kind of money.

He gets the big contract while coming off a season that he missed 4 games due to a groin injury. Cmon, how often does a young durable power back go down with a goin injury? Not exactly a broken bone, which is detected by an x-ray, or a torn knee which is detected by MRI and then most likely surgery.

Now this year he goes down with a thigh bruise? A RB with a freaking thigh bruise can't play for 5 weeks? Man I know some contusions can suck but 5 freaking weeks?

A big tough power running back with a thigh bruise. It's so sad it makes me laugh! How often do you hear of thigh bruise keeping an NFL RB out 5 weeks?

I don't know. Doesn't sound right to me and it's becoming a pattern.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I know Mike, I know. But this is still a "what have you done for me lately" league.

He needs to be durable for that kind of money.
    I agree with you completely Ferter. His durability is a legitimate argument against the contract he recieved. The Rams took a risk in giving him big money, knowing he has a developing history of being sidelined by injuries. So far it doesn't look like things are paying off.

That said, I don't agree with any assertion that Jackson didn't warrant a big time contract because he's not a multi-purpose back. He's proven he has that ability.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Jackson is fast developing a pattern of being injury prone for whatever reason. -- Ferter
    It really worries me, regardless of the money he's paid. But moreso because of the money. SJ = DBennett?

theodus69 Guest

Bad move on the big contract . I said that too, but whatever, we are stuck with it along with Bulgers . bad moves and it will cost us.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Steven Jackson is that he's a power back, which likely comes from his listed weight. But he's also tall for a runner, so that weight is spread out over a larger frame. Jackson really brings a variety of skills to the table, as Mike pointed out.

Unfortunately you've got to be healthy and on the field in order to contribute, and that's been a problem this year. Hopefully it's one Jackson can overcome, but it's been lingering through most of his career so you have to wonder if it's something the Rams will always have to put up with.

I do agree though that Faulk was spot on. Even if Jackson were healthy, with this defense and how quickly this team gives up points, it's tough to utilize Jackson because we're forced to abandon the run in order to try and catch up. Your stud running back isn't of much use to you if you can't keep the game close.

Truth is offline Registered User

I really don't have an issue with Jackson's skill set. I think he has durability issues. Now if his legs were as reliable as his mouth...
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Steven Jackson is that he's a power back, which likely comes from his listed weight. But he's also tall for a runner, so that weight is spread out over a larger frame. Jackson really brings a variety of skills to the table, as Mike pointed out.

Unfortunately you've got to be healthy and on the field in order to contribute, and that's been a problem this year. Hopefully it's one Jackson can overcome, but it's been lingering through most of his career so you have to wonder if it's something the Rams will always have to put up with.

I do agree though that Faulk was spot on. Even if Jackson were healthy, with this defense and how quickly this team gives up points, it's tough to utilize Jackson because we're forced to abandon the run in order to try and catch up. Your stud running back isn't of much use to you if you can't keep the game close.

Agree poor play of our team don't not let us use him like we should. His health is a major concern but what was we to do? Another back behind this line would have problems.
    :ramlogo:

bruce4life is online now Registered User

With Jackson in there we win one more game as of right now... Jackson is a game changer