Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Faulk will announce his retirement per NFL.com

Just announced on NFL Network.

Press Conference to be held Monday.

As always, Faulk knew what he had to do

By Adam Schefter
    NFL Analyst

(March 22, 2007) -- For 12 NFL seasons, all the way up until his retirement from the game became official today, running back Marshall Faulk had all the right moves.

We watched feet that moved as if he were dancing with the stars. We watched hands so dependable, it was as if they were drenched with stick-um. We watched plays that no other running back in the game could make.

Yet for all the yards he gained, for all the passes he caught, for all the touchdowns he scored, what fans couldn't see was one of the primary reasons -- maybe the primary reason -- Faulk should be taking up residence in Canton four years from now.

It was what was under the helmet.

Faulk didn't just have a beautiful mind, he had a football mind.

Outside of quarterbacks, and maybe even including quarterbacks, there weren't any players any smarter than Faulk. He was the proverbial Smartest Guy in the Room. To this day, his former head coach Mike Martz thinks Faulk might just be the smartest player he has ever coached.

With his vision and awareness, Faulk understood the game in a way others did not. He knew where each player was supposed to be on each play.

Especially himself. Faulk knew when it was safe to leave the backfield to go out for a pass, and he knew when he had to step behind to pick up a blitzing safety, as he did in Super Bowl XXXIV, on the play in which Kurt Warner threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Torry Holt to give the Rams a 16-0 lead.

Of all his attributes, this was Faulk's greatest: the centerpiece of the Greatest Show on Turf could beat you with his brawn or his brains.

The same brains that made him so effective on the football field made him a great analyst in his rookie season at NFL Network. He saw things other analysts did not. He made comments few others could. Few have ever started their TV careers with as much success as Faulk had over the past year. He was, unquestionably, the TV Rookie of the Year.

And now, Faulk has used that same brain to make his latest and last intelligent football decision. Instead of taking another hit, Faulk has dished one out himself. He has informed the Rams, and the football world, that he's retiring.

Faulk, who grew up on the streets of New Orleans before going on to star in Indianapolis and St. Louis, is smart enough to recognize that this is the right time to go.

One more time, Faulk is scampering away, unable to be brought down.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Faulk will announce his retirement per NFL.com

You hate to see a legend go, but it probably was time. But since he is NOT playing this year, I can GUARANTEE one thing:

JUST ONE LESS YEAR UNTIL HE MAKES IT TO CANTON!

Milan is offline Registered User

Goodbye Faulk, Great career and will be a first ballot hall of famer.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

bye Mr. Faulk, u had a great career with a superbowl ring, im so glad that i was able to see u play

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Especially himself. Faulk knew when it was safe to leave the backfield to go out for a pass, and he knew when he had to step behind to pick up a blitzing safety, as he did in Super Bowl XXXIV, on the play in which Kurt Warner threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Torry Holt to give the Rams a 16-0 lead.

Maybe the play that made it all happen for the Rams in the Super Bowl win. He stepped up and nailed the blitzing S giving Warner ample time to hit Holt for the TD. Faulk did that on numerous occassions.

The very first home game of this season should be a ceremony with #28 being raised to the rafters of the ED, the number retired to never be worn again.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Agreed TX. Honor him FIRST GAME this next year! When this guy arrived it literally turned the franchise around from the dark days of the early to mid 90s. No player ever made Ram football so much fun for me. Mr Faulk was a threat to break one all the way every time he touched the ball. IMO the equivalent of Magic Johnson in a football uniform...he could do it ALL! One of 2 1000/1000 men in the HISTORY of the game. A true difference maker. My all time favorite Ram. Thanks for the memories Marshall!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Long Live #28

Varg6 is offline Registered User

You shall be missed by us die hards...Be proud! You're a true Ram! Thank you for the memories my friend, we shall forever be in debt to the great 28.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Thanks, Marshall. You're the reason my two girls like football. And going out like this instead of trying to relive the greatness is classy. I hope to see you on the Rams sidelines with a clipboard in your hands, leading us to more victories...

BTW, the little kid who followed you all around the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame says she wishes you lots of luck and you're still her favorite. (on a personal note....thanks for giving her a positive role model to look up to.)

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I was at a bar in Vancouver, Canada when I first heard the news that Faulk had been traded to the Rams. I was so excited that I was telling all my friends that things were changing for the Rams; the Rams were no longer going to be the sorry Rams. Of course they all laughed at me. But the great thing was....I was the one laughing at the end of the season. If I could meet Faulk I would tell him thanks for the memories and for putting his heart and soul into this team. It really did make a difference.
    Sprtsmac :football:

keith m. klink Guest

TO MARSHALL FAULK , men play football , LEADERS OF MEN carry those men on to victory. You might not ever understand how much pride and happyness you have given to true rams fan's for giving us the total pleasure of watching you and your passion for this game .But also, that this franchise was the laugh of the town , and a mochery to football , until your arrival. you turned this team into an NFL elite, and record setting franchise. history and all men should always smile on you when the name MARSHAL FAULK is uttered. for you are the true ALL-PRO, the consumate player that all players should strive to be and in turn be measured. You my friend are a true winner, and you have made all RAM'S fan's winners for loving you. I hope the best for you is still to come, and i would hope that one day the RAM'S could repay you , Not with money, but the belief that you would someday be our coach, and THE LEADER OF MEN, CALLED RAM'S. YOUR FAN, KEITH MICHAEL KLINK.

Milan is offline Registered User

Do you guys think he's worthy of getting his number retired? I think he's more than worthy...

eldfan is offline Registered User

I'v always been a fan of the RB's and Marshall is on the top of my list. Thanks Marshall Marshall Marshall.
    :ramlogo:

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I hope everything went down well in the end. Last I heard Marshall was saying that he still wanted to play this year and than all of a sudden, this....Well, if it didn't I'm sure it will rear its ugly head soon enough. You will be missed my friend and thank you.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Maybe this is just a publicity stunt and then he will pull a Brett Farve and announce one more year...Uno mas!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast