RamWraith is offline Registered User

Faulk will miss all of the 2006 season

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/21/2006

Rams coach Scott Linehan confirmed today that veteran running back Marshall Faulk will have major knee surgery next week and miss the 2006 season.

Although Linehan said the Rams would keep Faulk on their roster, he also acknowledged that the operation could signal the end to Faulk’s 12-year NFL career.

Faulk has amassed nearly 20,000 total yards and appeared in seven Pro Bowls. He was the NFL Most Valuable Player in 2000. Linehan said the Rams would consider several options for the backup position to first team running back Steven Jackson, including a possible trade.

Faulk, the 2000 NFL MVP, is ninth on the career rushing list with 12,279 yards, 34 yards behind Jim Brown. But he had a career-low 292 yards rushing last year and made only one start, in the season finale when Steven Jackson was out with a hip pointer.

He hasn't participated in the team's minicamps this year.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Faulk will miss all of the 2006 season

wait...trade Faulk? I don't get it...I hope this is not what he was referring to, I doubt it, but yeah...I worry haha

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Why trade him if he cant play for the 2006 season? Like i said in other post.... Dont retire now! Comeback when ever you can, and have a Winning season with the rams to end your career and possible a Superbowl ring!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The article doesn't say they're thinking about trading Faulk. It says that one of the options to fill the now vacant back-up spot created by Faulk being placed on IR is to trade for another player.

Stay in school, kids. :confused:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Faulk will miss all of the 2006 season

If it does take him 8-12 months to fully recover,is 2007 also out of the question?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The article doesn't say they're thinking about trading Faulk. It says that one of the options to fill the now vacant back-up spot created by Faulk being placed on IR is to trade for another player.

Stay in school, kids. :confused:
    heh, I was confused...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22
    If it does take him 8-12 months to fully recover,is 2007 also out of the question?
    Not necessarily. An 8-12 month recovery means he would be expected to be back to 100% no later than this point next year. So in theory he'd be ready for the 2007 camp.

However, I think we should all come to grips with the idea that this essentially means Faulk is done playing football.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    However, I think we should all come to grips with the idea that this essentially means Faulk is done playing football.
    This is the way it looks to me. At this point in his career, it's hard to believe that after more surgery and an entire year of inactivity, Faulk will have the will to make a comeback. Never say never though.

rams#1 Guest

Marshall will come back for the 07 season, hopefully. but if we do make a run at the superbowl, i think he would be able to have a limited role, linehan said he would put marshall on the PuP, (physicaly unable to perform list). that dosent guarantee that he will comeback, but it possibly means he could return for the playoffs.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We don't know what a year of R&R will do for Marshall. And with two bung knees, is he willing to put loyalty to the Rams and his own pride ahead of his health? The safe bet is he retires a Ram. When he will is uncertain.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Marshall has given us a lot of memorable Rams moments, but I think at this point it would be best for everyone involved if he did retire. Seems like he has surgery on those knees just about every year, and I'd hate to see him do any more damage to them. He'll be 34 by the start of the '07 season, and we'll most likely still have Jackson, Fisher, and whomever we bring in to fill the no. 2 spot on the roster. I've loved watching him, but all good things come to an end eventually.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Too bad you can't take away the negative rep you gave me for saying that I didn't believe Marshall was going to play for this teams this year. I believe your rep response went something like:
    Faulk Is Huge!!-08-07-2006 02:02 PM rams#1 Faulk is coming back, end of story

Opps...Sorry Wraith, guess you were right.

Quote Originally Posted by rams#1
    Marshall will come back for the 07 season, hopefully. but if we do make a run at the superbowl, i think he would be able to have a limited role, linehan said he would put marshall on the PuP, (physicaly unable to perform list). that dosent guarantee that he will comeback, but it possibly means he could return for the playoffs.