• London Fletcher

0 0%
  • Aeneas Williams

0 0%
  • Jeff Wilkins

1 1.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Favorite Rams: FINAL POLL (Who is the Clan's Favorite?)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

Hmm, hadn't thought about it that way. You make an excellent point. J. Wilkins above those players?

Per the votes obtained in each positional category, perhaps the final poll would be better represented as the "Clan's Most Popular Ram" ??? Either way, we're still missing something to account for some of the HOFs you mentioned.

Or... maybe... just maybe... you guys are overthinking this just a wee bit.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Favorite Rams: FINAL POLL (Who is the Clan's Favorite?)

There has never been a guy who (when used fully) had a bigger impact on the Rams success...than Marshall Faulk. We all know, as Marshall went...so went the Rams. They reeled off 25 consecutive victories when he had 150+ combined yards and were a ridiculous 27-1, in all such games. The Rams record when Faulk got his 20+ carries, was also close to being undefeated. He only toted it 17 times in SB XXXVI. For my money, his being a bit under utilized, was a huge factor in the loss.
    RealRam and live4ramin like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater

You know something's wrong when Jeff Wilkins has a better chance of becoming an all-time favorite than messers Dickerson, Olsen, Youngblood, Holt, etc.

Hmm, hadn't thought about it that way. You make an excellent point. J. Wilkins above those players?

Per the votes obtained in each positional category, perhaps the final poll would be better represented as the "Clan's Most Popular Ram" ??? Either way, we're still missing something to account for some of the HOFs you mentioned. -- RealRam

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Or... maybe... just maybe... you guys are overthinking this just a wee bit.

Yes, maybe. I just think that at face value, when one sees the players listed here on the final poll there are some noticeable / glaring omissions (oxymoron and all), i.e., names missing, the ones mentioned by Fortuninerhater: Dickerson, Olsen, J. Youngblood, Holt; whereas Jeff Wilkins is there in lieu of them.

That's why I thought he had made an excellent point in indicating 'something's wrong...'. Just a valid observation of his IMO.

But no big deal, I know how the final poll came to be.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Went with Faulk, his way of playing was a major reason for me becoming a Ram fan in 99.

And it was a great day when I got his autograph in London during the Bucs vs Bears game there some year back, was actually wearing a Holt jersey on that occasion. Have the signed cap hanging on my wall right over my computer!

But many great players in the list and no easy choice.
    RealRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

Yes, maybe. I just think that at face value, when one sees the players listed here on the final poll there are some noticeable / glaring omissions (oxymoron and all), i.e., names missing, the ones mentioned by Fortuninerhater: Dickerson, Olsen, J. Youngblood, Holt; whereas Jeff Wilkins is there in lieu of them.

That's why I thought he had made an excellent point in indicating 'something's wrong...'. Just a valid observation of his IMO.
    Well, I'm sure that when you guys spend a couple of weeks posting polls to keep things interesting during a slow period, your methodology will be beyond reproach, thereby avoiding a travesty of justice such as the one you've so aptly identified.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, I'm sure that when you guys spend a couple of weeks posting polls to keep things interesting during a slow period, your methodology will be beyond reproach, thereby avoiding a travesty of justice such as the one you've so aptly identified.
    My goodness Pollmaster. Aren't we a tad touchy!

And that's considering that I've stated elsewhere that I admire your dedication as a Clan mod.

I think that Fortuninerhater and myself were simply discussing the overall inaccuracy in the mechanics of the poll as Rams fans regarding all-time player favorites, not as a "travesty of justice" on your part.

Forgive us, please, oh great one!...
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-04-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Emoticon
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

This was really tough after giving it some thought. Kurt Warner was my initial reaction, so that is who I voted for.

Some people may think I selected him because of his Christian beliefs, or maybe because of his rags to riches story, but for me it goes back to Christmas of 1997 when he was first signed by the RAMS. At the time JT (IIRC) listed him a Curt Warner, and everything I looked up was the the hag's RB. I then figured it out, by looking up the Barnstormers, that it was Kurt Warner. I then looked at his records everywhere he played, and I knew the guy was a winner. If you were on the RAMPAGERS email list, you know I harped on the RAMS giving him a shot to compete with Tony Banks (IIRC) to be the starter, but that fell on deaf ears with the 'Pagers as I am sure the RAMS FO would have done had they heard me. Not until Rodney Harrison did the RAMS have the chance to find out what kind of QB Kurt Warner could be. That is my reason for Kurt being my favorite RAM.

Here is how I rate the selections above.

Kurt Warner - 1
    Marshall Faulk - 1.1
    Isaac Bruce - 1.2
    Jackie Slater - 1.3
    Aeneas Williams - 1.4
    Jeff Wilkins - 2
    London Fletcher - 3 (had he not taken a lower offer to play elsewhere, he would move above Slater)
    Deacon Jones - 4

Sorry Deac, but your disparaging comments about the city of St. Louis, and the RAMS move there, will never allow you to be one of my favorite RAMS. I respect what you did on the football field. But off of it? Not so much.

gap

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Well, since Ike is well represented, and Jack and Merlin arent even an option, I vote Jackie Slater. 21 years a Ram .... thank you sir!!!
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

thoey is offline Registered User

Had to go with Marshall. IMO, we could have won with Trent Green in '99. (Don't get me wrong, love KW.) No way we could have without Marshall...
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by Thoey View Post
    Had to go with Marshall. IMO, we could have won with Trent Green in '99. (Don't get me wrong, love KW.) No way we could have without Marshall...
    You know, I had never seen this scenario but, it is so true. Even if hypothetically.

If someone here is not familiar with the game of chess.

On a chessboard the queen is the most valuable piece relative to the other five chessmen independently (i.e., strategic position on board not taken into account) due to her scope and power of movement. Interestingly, however, the game can be won without a queen ... but never, ever, without a king. Impossible.

Once the king is under checkmate, it's over, even if the queen is still there [game ends in a draw if neither king on either side is 'dead' but cannot move to a safe square or, when both sides are too close in strength, position, and inability to defeat -- in the latter case the players may mutually agree to call it a tie].

The point is, from a value perspective ... was Kurt Warner the equivalent chess piece of a king while Marshall Faulk represented the all-important queen?

Or, vice versa? As you said Trevor, it is difficult to imagine the GSOT, all the way to a victorious SB XXXIV without The Marshall.

My only conclusion is that at times they, KW and MF, played both roles of enormous MVP significance. Naturally, the rest of the chessmen also played a major role. ^_^

THE RAMS GSOT vs THE REST OF THE NFL

But after all is said and done, Sir Isaac Bruuuuuuce may turn out to be our top favorite.

Last edited by RealRam; -06-05-2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Ram

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Ergo: Reverend Ike would be the bishop.

Warner The Gallant, the knight.
    Tell me when it's over,

Quote Originally Posted by Thoey View Post
    In keeping with that theme, imagine if it had been Marshall Faulk that would have gone down with a season ending injury during the 1999 exhibition game, instead of Trent Green.

Don't want to even imagine that.

But then, this is more about our favorite Ram (though value is intrinsic in the reasoning).

demiurge is offline Registered User

Aeneas Williams beat out Nolan Cromwell? Wow, guess I'm older than I thought. LOL. Personally my two favorites at DB would be Cromwell and Meador. Loved Aeneas, great guy - but he wasn't a Ram very long.

I voted for Jackie Slater. Warner and Faulk are both great choices, I'm surprised at all the Bruce love, but he's a good choice as well. Slater was a long time Ram who was great in the trenches and was the respected elder statesman on the team for many years. I would have voted for Olsen or Youngblood over him though - but they weren't choices.
    Last edited by demiurge; -06-13-2014 at 08:04 AM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    Aeneas Williams beat out Nolan Cromwell? Wow, guess I'm older than I thought. LOL. Personally my two favorites at DB would be Cromwell and Meador. Loved Aeneas, great guy - but he wasn't a Ram very long.

I voted for Jackie Slater. Warner and Faulk are both great choices, I'm surprised at all the Bruce love, but he's a good choice as well. Slater was a long time Ram who was great in the trenches and was the respected elder statesman on the team for many years. I would have voted for Olsen or Youngblood over him though - but they weren't choices.
    I have a feeling a lot of these posters haven't had the good fortune to have seen Rams players pre-1999.

Longevity of excellence should trump 3-4 years of service. Nolan Cromwell was an outstanding Ram for 10-11 years. Phenomenal athlete. Williams was there for a cup of coffee. Although I truly liked Williams and appreciate his contribution (which was significant), I can't in good conscience say I liked him more.

As for a previous poster's assertion that Deacon Jones could never be a favorite of his because he made negative remarks about St. Louis- Deacon was hardly alone in that regard. Fred Dryer, Jack Youngblood and numerous others have all expressed disappointment with the Rams severing ties with Los Angeles (and until very recently all but forgetting the greats that played there). Perfectly normal emotions from a guy who sweat and bled LA Rams football and who had life-long ties to the city.
    RealRam likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I voted for Kurt. Love IKE but HE DID SIGN WITH WHINERS!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12