Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: A Fearsome Front Seven

1. To anyone complaining about using first round picks on defensive linemen: Keep in mind that there are 4 starting positions on the defensive line. If you take two defensive linemen, you're filling two different positions in the starting lineup. If you drafted all first round positions (i.e. most teams don't draft centers, guards, fullbacks, etc. in round 1) at equal frequency, you would expect to average a defensive lineman in the first round once every four years or so. Of course, many teams put a premium on the position, which would suggest one might expect the typical team to draft linemen in the first round even more frequently than that.

2. You don't draft blindly. Do we need a franchise quarterback? Yes. Do we need one more than a starting defensive tackle? Maybe. Is there anyone in this draft who is the kind of prospect at the quarterback position that Suh is at the defensive tackle position? Probably not. Therein lies the problem. The case for Clausen/Bradford can't just be that we have a need at the position; you also have to make the case that one of them has the kind of talent that calls for being picked over Suh.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Do you realize the Rams have used 50% of their first round picks in the last ten years on defensive linemen? Where are we now? Two of the last three years have seen us pick DEs, which has not turned out very well. We are hoping Chris Long will mature into a good DE, but that is not a sure thing. What about Adam Carriker? Please, I am very skeptical about using yet another draft pick on a DL.

We have passed up several franchise QBs for marginal talent the last few years. Even under the best circumstances (if Su turns out to be a stud), our offense will be doing three and outs and our defense will be exhausted by the second quarter. We desperately need a long-term QB, far worse than we need another DL.
    I respect your opinion but I agree with tomahawk247. If the rams believe that Suh will be a player that will change the face of the D and is the best player in the draft they should not shy away from him because of there past drafts. They should not also over reach for a QB as you know QBs have had a not so good history in being pick early to. The rams has so many holes they need a D-line just as bad as a QB IMO. The rams may be able to find there future QB later on in the draft bring him along slowly and have a veteran QB hold the range until he is ready.
    Last edited by eldfan; -12-30-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    :ramlogo:

RamsFanThruItAll!!! is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Do you realize the Rams have used 50% of their first round picks in the last ten years on defensive linemen? Where are we now? Two of the last three years have seen us pick DEs, which has not turned out very well. We are hoping Chris Long will mature into a good DE, but that is not a sure thing. What about Adam Carriker? Please, I am very skeptical about using yet another draft pick on a DL.

We have passed up several franchise QBs for marginal talent the last few years. Even under the best circumstances (if Su turns out to be a stud), our offense will be doing three and outs and our defense will be exhausted by the second quarter. We desperately need a long-term QB, far worse than we need another DL.
    Longs looking good lately.

Suh is not just any Dlineman. Hes a beast. He led his team in tackles and he's a tackle. He had 12 sacks. HE WAS A HEISMAN TROPHY CANDIDATE!
    How do you pass that up???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12