Barry Waller is offline Registered User

February Football

This is the time where nothing but rumors and draft combine news fills most of the NFL pages. There isn't much coming out of P.R. departments, other than news of new minor assistant coaching hires, and some quotes from the meet and greet with the new coaches, where nothing much of value will be leaked.

You'll hear plenty from Billy Devaney about the off-season, on every radio and TV sports extra show, but he won't give us much we can use, or in some cases even believe.

A savvy football guy like Devaney, who studied well under Bobby Beathard, known as a true football braniac when he was with the Redskins especially, isn't going to tip his hand, and what he does get leaked from "sources" will just as likely be a ploy to fool opponents and their fans all too interested in what the Rams plan on doing in free agency and the draft.

You can bet Devaney, along with Mr. Demoff, will be speaking to agents while also meeting with scouts on the upcoming combine and workouts.
    Pretty soon, these guys get too busy to give us much fodder. DEmoff is no doubt concentrating on getting OJ Atogwe and Ron Bartell under contract as soon as possible. Maybe adding McAlister and Bly, along with the already good free agents at corner, will get Bartell to make a deal now.

There is some stuff going on a bit early, involving veteran cuts, because the rules are different this year. There is no relief for keeping a guy until June and then cutting him, to not pay the real money he is due to make.

Cutting a player excellerates all his remaining bonus pro-rate to this year, no matter when he is let go.

That's why teams are already unloading some older, but still starting talent in Deuce McAlister, Chris McAlister, Dre Bly and others.

Bly's release actually cost the Broncos a few mill in cap space, but they have a huge amount anyway, hence the move to not pay any due roster bonus or risk an injury that makes a cut difficult and more expensive.

The rule differences would seem to help these guys find work for sure, and get well paid for it, and really hurts teams that can squeeze a player by threatening a June or later release, where it would be harder to get the same bucks from teams not shorter on money and need.

Could that make getting Orlando Pace, Leonard Little, and Torry Holt to redo their deals far tougher? I would say yes, so it may come down to some very tough decisions for Devaney very soon.

I think those three former stars, two of which were pretty healthy last year, have another year left, but is it worth keeping them for what should be a rebuilding year and missing out on the center, middle linebacker, and strong safety they badly need?

So you keep guys like Tinoisamoa and McMichael or lose them for the same reasons?

Personally, it looks like it will come down to Holt wanting to stay. If he knows it won't happen with a hard stance, that's it.

I want to keep Pace. He is healthy, with a normal off-season for the first time in awhile, and age isn't as big a factor in tackles as receivers and DBs.

Little is a tougher deal, but I think he might prefer to finish his career here and give the Rams a home town discount. As bad as his past tragic transgression was for him here, I doubt he'll want to go to a new city, where it will be big news to a new team's media horde.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-19-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: for whatever reason "P.R." comes out "Page Ranking"

Barry Waller

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: February Football

Aside from being the Steelers this offseason, I do love & hate this time of year. It is exciting listening to all the "experts" with who is going where and who is staying where. Dreams of who may be on your team and how great they may be is what bottom dwellers do. But this time of year is when the business side of football takes over and dreams are crushed with favorite players moving on for the next UPGRADE at the position.

As every year I put my faith in the front office and staff to improve my team and anxiously await traning camp when the real experts let me know how these new additions are going to make my team great again !

Nice post Barry !

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

It will be interesting to see who wants to stay for less and who just wants to move on, as well as who is available at a discount...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i dont think the presence of McAlister and Bly on the free agent market would affect Bartell. Bartell is a top, young cornerback coming off a strong season. Bly is old and was burned in every single game last season. McAlister is old and has barely played the last few years because of injuries. i dont see them having much of an impact on the signing of Bartell

the recent resigining of Kelvin Hayden by the Colts is of much more relevance, especially since he received more guaranteed money than Asante Samuel did last year

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    This is the time where nothing but rumors and draft combine news fills most of the NFL pages. There isn't much coming out of Page Ranking departments, other than news of new minor assistant coaching hires, and some quotes from the meet and greet with the new coaches, where nothing much of value will be leaked.

You'll hear plenty from Billy Devaney about the off-season, on every radio and TV sports extra show, but he won't give us much we can use, or in some cases even believe.

A savvy football guy like Devaney, who studied well under Bobby Beathard, known as a true football braniac when he was with the Redskins especially, isn't going to tip his hand, and what he does get leaked from "sources" will just as likely be a ploy to fool opponents and their fans all too interested in what the Rams plan on doing in free agency and the draft.
    Ahhh...the old smokescreen approach. Should be fun for us the fans to try and recognize any smokescreens that are thrown out to the media.